Rockbox for iBasso DX50 dual boot with stock firmware
Aug 7, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #1,081 of 2,020
link is indicated on the first page mate

Aug 7, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #1,082 of 2,020
Use everything from the bitbucket page or my builds!

So now just install the rockbox for DX50 in CWM and everything could be fixed

Cholero,

I have recovered the usage of my DX50 by installing the iBasso FW 1.50 in CWM, since I could not use the Mango update function.

However, I cannot install the Rockbox with either your zip file or (cwm_rb_dual_2014-07-30_cholero) or Bitbucket's one (cwm_rockbox_2014-06-30): when I select to update from the system recovery answers: "Can not found firmware image or invalid image. Installation aborted."

Two remarks
1] I don't have to choose between internal and external SD, contrary to what appeared before.
2] When I select either [recovery] or [lost+found], I get the undertitle "UPDATE RKIMAGE". Does this have a relation with my former installation of Rkbatchtool?

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #1,083 of 2,020

Cholero,

I have recovered the usage of my DX50 by installing the iBasso FW 1.50 in CWM, since I could not use the Mango update function.

However, I cannot install the Rockbox with either your zip file or (cwm_rb_dual_2014-07-30_cholero) or Bitbucket's one (cwm_rockbox_2014-06-30): when I select to update from the system recovery answers: "Can not found firmware image or invalid image. Installation aborted."

Two remarks
1] I don't have to choose between internal and external SD, contrary to what appeared before.
2] When I select either [recovery] or [lost+found], I get the undertitle "UPDATE RKIMAGE". Does this have a relation with my former installation of Rkbatchtool?

Here's the whole install process, check how far you have done:
1. Download the FW with CWM from here or here, and get the update.img
2. Download rockbox zip(choose a or b)
   a. isergachev version: bitbucket
   b. cholero version: post1119
3. Power on DX50, connect it to PC, put the zip file and update.img to both root of DX50 and microSD(to make sure that nothing goes wrong, just put them in the root of DX50 should work), disconnect
4. Update firmware(choose a or b,c)
   a. The one MUST work: Use the RKbatchtool(1.7w/3.5driver) or RKbatchtool(from iBasso) to flash the update.img (instruction)
   b. Only if you have original recovery: "Setting", "Advanced", "System update"
   c. Only if you have CWM: Flash this zip, shutdown, and choose c1 or c2
      c1. boot to mango, follow 4b
      c2. Hold [Volume Up] and Hold [Power] for a few second, then update firmware(I forgot the correct name, but there should be an option to update.
      c*. (Troubleshoot: If you cannot boot, unplug the battery, wait for a few second)
5. Power off DX50
6. Hold [Volume Up] and Hold [Power] for a few second, then release both (you can release [Volume Up] after [Power])
7. "Install zip from sdcard" then choose the rockbox zip file
8. Reboot after install complete, then choose rockbox
9(optional). Connect DX50 to PC, put themes, fonts etc to "rockbox" folder in root of DX50

*CWM instruction:
Up: Scroll up on the screen
Down: Scroll down on the screen
Choose item: [Power]

*Stock recovery instruction:
Up: [Volume Up]
Down: [Volume Down]

Edit: forgot to set google drive permission

Aug 8, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #1,084 of 2,020
Thanks a lot mrbunch.
Headhwacker could put your instruction on the first page because xzcc was very brief on nitbucket.
@Leguar: I think you are in stock recovery, not in cwm recovery, so start all over again.

Aug 9, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #1,085 of 2,020

Here's the whole install process, check how far you have done:
1. Download the FW with CWM from here or here, and get the update.img
2. Choose one zip file to download
   a. isergachev version: here or here
   b. cholero version: here
3. Power on DX50, connect it to PC, put the zip file and update.img to both root of DX50 and microSD(to make sure that nothing goes wrong, just put them in the root of DX50 should work), disconnect
4. Update firmware
   a. The one MUST work: Use the RKbatcktool to flash the update.img
   b. Only if you have original recovery: "Setting", "Advanced", "System update"
   c. Only if you have CWM: Flash this zip
      c1. boot to mango, follow 4b
      c2. Hold [Volume Up] and Hold [Power] for a few second, then update firmware(I forgot the correct name, but there should be an option to update.
      c*. (Troubleshoot: If you cannot boot, unplug the battery, wait for a few second)
5. Power off DX50
6. Hold [Volume Up] and Hold [Power] for a few second, then release both (you can release [Volume Up] after [Power])
7. "Install zip from sdcard" then choose the rockbox zip file
8. Reboot after install complete, then choose rockbox
9(optional). Connect DX50 to PC, put themes, fonts etc to "rockbox" folder in root of DX50

*CWM instruction:
Up: Scroll up on the screen
Down: Scroll down on the screen

*Stock recovery instruction:
Up: [Volume Up]
Down: [Volume Down]

Thank you very much mrbunch for your very detailed explanations!

I have understood that my main error was to update with the original "DX50Firmware_V1.5.0" instead of the "dx50_1.5.0_cwm" zip file.
However, I could not flash the the update.img with RKbatcktool. I did not know which function I should use. I tried successively "Upgrade" and "Restore" which did not work at all, and, then, "Switch" which seemed to work but did not produce anything.
Nevertheless, I could update with your 4b and 4c procedures.
Once again, thank you!

If I am late to answer you, it's because I encountered two other important problems, either with the isergachev or the cholero version:

Rockbox does not detect the audio files on the SD cards
Edit I have solved this problem, after reading ratinox:
/sdcard is the internal storage.
/mnt/external_sd is the external (removable) card.

*PANIC* white screen
After I have modified some settings I cannot listen the audio files with both the the isergachev and the cholero versions and gets instead a white screen with the following message:
*PANIC* / Stkov audio / pc 00066f5cc sp:00066f5cc4ef98 / A: 00066fc4 / bt end
(I have not verified if the codes are always the same).
I have seen an explanation of this problem on a Bitbucket page, posted in april / march of this year. Il is related to the database and autoresume functions. The autoresume function is very important for me! I can get rid of this problem only by reinstalling Rockbox.

Aug 9, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #1,086 of 2,020
  At the moment I will not provide any updates because I'm working on making the port an official port on the rockbox page. But later I will try to make most plugins work and try to do some basic modifications in the menu, wps and button behaviour. And I want to find out why gathering runtime data does not work and why times (backlight timeout etc,) are around double the time someone sets.
After that the port will be pretty much done. 

This is great news! It would be fantastic if installing and upgrading could be done with the RButility, although I'm not sure if the mechanisms involved would work for that. 

Aug 15, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #1,087 of 2,020
I made a compilation of the best (imo) rockbox themes and modified them, so they work properly on the DX50/90 and look nice as well. I also optimized some of them for "absolute point" touchscreen mode. I included over 30 themes.
I only tested them on my DX90, but they should work just fine for the DX50 as well...

Here you go: https://www.sendspace.com/file/hr8dwu

Please make sure to read the readme file inside the zip archive. Enjoy!

Aug 15, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #1,088 of 2,020
got screenies mate?

Aug 15, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #1,090 of 2,020
oh ok..will check it then

Aug 16, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #1,091 of 2,020
Finally got through the first power cycle of my DX50 with the latest rockbox with the battery fix. And it worked like clockwork. This is with the stock battery, and not an old one. It ran down to about 6% left, and the next time I powered it on I got the iBasso chargeme indicator, which is really accurate as far as these things go. So - good work!

Aug 17, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #1,092 of 2,020
Hey deho - that's a really nice collection of themes! I like how you've fixed them up to work perfectly on the DX50/90. I'm a little sad that my favorite, CNI Aquamarine, didn't make the cut, but the other ones of that variety are very nice, I can certainly live without it. 

I was a bit confused about your warning at the very end of the readme - the  "Do not turn off the player while music is playing. This will most likely reset all your settings
(including the theme) to default. Always pause the music before shutting down!" part. Perhaps you have some weird settings or something, but I use my player in the car most often, and have it set so that I can start it and stop it without looking at it - the music resumes on starting up, and I never pause it before shutting down. While I was testing all the new themes I shut down the unit repeatedly without pausing, and never once lost my settings. In fact, I've never lost my settings in RB since the very early days, maybe 10 years ago or so - it used to be that keeping backup copies of your .cfg files was a good idea, but those days are long gone. 

Thanks for your work putting this together! And highly recommended for others!

Aug 17, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #1,093 of 2,020
Hey deho - that's a really nice collection of themes! I like how you've fixed them up to work perfectly on the DX50/90. I'm a little sad that my favorite, CNI Aquamarine, didn't make the cut, but the other ones of that variety are very nice, I can certainly live without it. 

I was a bit confused about your warning at the very end of the readme - the  "Do not turn off the player while music is playing. This will most likely reset all your settings

(including the theme) to default. Always pause the music before shutting down!" part. Perhaps you have some weird settings or something, but I use my player in the car most often, and have it set so that I can start it and stop it without looking at it - the music resumes on starting up, and I never pause it before shutting down. While I was testing all the new themes I shut down the unit repeatedly without pausing, and never once lost my settings. In fact, I've never lost my settings in RB since the very early days, maybe 10 years ago or so - it used to be that keeping backup copies of your .cfg files was a good idea, but those days are long gone. 

Thanks for your work putting this together! And highly recommended for others!

I believe Deho put that note for DX90 users. The settings are not actually lost but there a few times when rockbox starts it is unable to read the settings therefore it's loading the default. Restarting it again will actually load the correct setting.

I don't think this is an issue with DX50.

Aug 21, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #1,094 of 2,020
Hi Cholero,
Just to update you, with your latest fw version my switch on click is less, but the click just before the music starts to play is much louder. The battery meter is as good as any battery meter I have had (none are perfect in my opinion) so thanks for that and all your other work.

Aug 21, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #1,095 of 2,020
Hi Cholero,
Just to update you, with your latest fw version my switch on click is less, but the click just before the music starts to play is much louder.

I've moved the (only) click from startup to playback-start (where no click was before). The longer you wait before you play the first song, the softer it gets :). I think the only possibility to make it even softer would be a hardware mod.
Thanks for the feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back