Rockbox for iBasso DX50 dual boot with stock firmware
Aug 22, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #1,097 of 2,020
The click is the connection of the headphones to the amp, so as long as there is no connection, there will be no sound.
I don't know how ibasso did it with their FW. I would say their click is softer. Maybe they made a pcm-ramp they send to the DAC but I don't think so. If it is a big problem for you you could consider a hw-mod. The relay has 6 contacts so we could maybe add a resistor to charge the output caps as long as the relay is not yet closed.

Aug 22, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #1,098 of 2,020
Hi,
In my WPS I want to use the Battery Lifetime tag (%bt), but the in the screen it shows only ?h ?m.
In the battery preferences I've changed the setting to 2100 mAh.
I guess some preprocessor switches are needed to be defined for the target device, which are not set for the android ibasso device?

Aug 22, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #1,099 of 2,020
Hi,
In my WPS I want to use the Battery Lifetime tag (%bt), but the in the screen it shows only ?h ?m.
In the battery preferences I've changed the setting to 2100 mAh.
I guess some preprocessor switches are needed to be defined for the target device, which are not set for the android ibasso device?

That is something I did not add for the 07-30 build. In my next build it will be included.
BTW. What is the average running time you have experienced with the original Pisen battery?
I guessed 12h. Did someone pay more attention to this?

Aug 22, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #1,100 of 2,020
That is something I did not add for the 07-30 build. In my next build it will be included.
BTW. What is the average running time you have experienced with the original Pisen battery?
I guessed 12h. Did someone pay more attention to this?

Hi Cholero,
Thanks for your upcoming addition.
For the running time, as I only switch on the device for half an hor or one hour per day, it's hard to say, but I guess 12 hours would be feasable.

Another thing, the hold button is disabling only the screen, but not the hardware buttons (rewind, play, ff). I read in this forum somewhere that this is intended for whatever reason. But when putting the device in my backpack, sometimes the hardware buttons are unintentional pressed, which is very annoying. Is there any way also to disable the hardware buttons by the hold switch? Maybe in code an option can be provided?

Btw, what about the progress to merge the ibasso code to the rockbox site?

Aug 22, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #1,101 of 2,020
My progress of merging is slow but i'm quite advanced. I don't have much free time and with the latest updates of rockbox the build is not starting anymore (error: segmentation fault).
Once it works again I want to add something first before I make the commit to be reviewed by rockbox devs.
The change I want to make also affects hold button functionality. I think you will be happy with it if I get it working.

Aug 22, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #1,102 of 2,020
My progress of merging is slow but i'm quite far. I don't have much free time and with the latest updates of rockbox the build is not starting anymore (error: segmentation fault).
Once it works again I want to add something first before I make the commit to be reviewed by rockbox devs.
The change I want to make also affects hold button functionality. I think you will be happy with it if I get it working.

Thanks for you effort, keep your good work up!

Aug 23, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #1,103 of 2,020
Rockbox starts again with a recent commit. 
redface.gif

Wednesday 03:585fb3702: Make sure load_context is the last thing in switch_thread. 

This should fix the android crash issue (fingers crossed). 
firmware/kernel/thread.c [diff  

Michael Sevakis

I think I will post a new build soon with not much changed but built as "DX50" no longer as "android" and with all Plugins working.

Aug 23, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #1,104 of 2,020
what is the advantage of a dx50 build as you call it over an android build? is it not based on cwm recovery anymore? and will it be duo boot or rockbox only?

Aug 23, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #1,105 of 2,020
Absolutely nothing!
This was my work the last weeks that the new build will be exactly the same as before. Pretty senseless, isn't it?
Just joking. To become an official port on the rockbox page DX50 & DX90 need to be an own target. Until now xzcc's port was just a modified "android" target, but android should still compile as before without all this DX50 specific code. So my work is to separate the DX50 code from the android code. The work will be finished when android compiles as an android app as it should and DX50 compiles as xzcc s build.
My current status is that I'm finished with separating and i was able update to the latest changes of the official rockbox repository. At the moment "android" does not compile anymore (they share some code I had to modify) but I think that this is a small thing. What is left to do is:
  • make android compile again
  • clean up a dirty hack that detained backlight from coming back when a button other than power was pressed
  • commit the changes to the official repository to be reviewed ( = developers look at the code and tell me what needs to be changed that they accept the commit
  • I will try to fix this and hopefully the new commit will be accepted
  • A solution needs to be found how to include CWM whithout braking any copyrights or what other installation method can be incuded
  • Wiki page needs to be written with instructions how to install the port
  • The manual needs to be adapted
  • .. and much more that the rockbox community will tell me :wink:

But before point 3 I want to do an other modification.

Aug 25, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #1,108 of 2,020
Here is a test build for the interested. I did NOT test it properly!
This is a test build. One main thing you have to do before installing: If you use absolute point touchscreen settings and your theme does NOT have a touchbutton for "Home", switch to 3x3 grid or to a theme that has a home button before updating.

So here is what I manly changed (around 80% of my plan is done):

1. Power button in WPS serves now to switch off screen (for menu you need a touchscreen button)
  2. Power button in Root of the main menu brings you to wps

-> please report back if you like it and if it does work for you
One thing I want to add and I didn't have enough time is that when screen goes off, player should switch to WPS.
The other thing is to enable menu from WPS with a key combination.

other changings:
  1. timers are not that slow anymore when playback is active (but still not correct)
  2. all Plugins are built
  3. Hold switch turns off screen and disables buttons
  4. Battery curve slightly optimized

Link:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/m5xw01

If rockbox hangs ~30s after startup, do a factory reset  /*general information*/ 

Edit: one bug i found so far: backlight flashes and doesn't turn on when recently a button other than power was pressed. Will fix this of course for the next non-test build.

Aug 26, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #1,109 of 2,020
Hi Cholero,
a short test shows no bugs, the hold switch is now working as it should, the battery lifetime display works, the timers are improved.
Going back to the WPS from the main menu with the power button I like, but using the power button for the backlight off I don't like, the original behavior to jump to the main menu I would prefer. (Mainly I'm using only the hardware buttons for the navigation, now I'm forced to press somewhere in the screen to go to the menu)
Turning off the backlight you can do now with the hold switch.
The only use case I see for the pwr button backlight off would be to have the backlight timer switched off, so that the backlight stays always on.
But even here the hold switch could be used for that, too the ibasso backlight always on is not a good idea, as it is the one that drains the battery the most.

One little other thing maybe, in the prefrences I'm using backlight fading out, and that's ok in case the backlight timer expires.
But in case of the hold switch it should go immediately off, without the fading.

Otherwise a good job.

Aug 26, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #1,110 of 2,020
  Going back to the WPS from the main menu with the power button I like, but using the power button for the backlight off I don't like, the original behavior to jump to the main menu I would prefer. (Mainly I'm using only the hardware buttons for the navigation, now I'm forced to press somewhere in the screen to go to the menu)
Turning off the backlight you can do now with the hold switch.
The only use case I see for the pwr button backlight off would be to have the backlight timer switched off, so that the backlight stays always on.
But even here the hold switch could be used for that, too the ibasso backlight always on is not a good idea, as it is the one that drains the battery the most.

Thanks for testing!
I think this is an interesting point to discuss. Thank you, your feedback is very helpful. Why I wanted to do it that way is because everybody is expecting the device do act like this because all mobile phones work more or less that way. Me, I like the possibility to switch off the screen without "hold" because I'm so much used to do this after 3 years of "android-phone-brainwash". But you are absolutely right, it is not great to have no button to get to main menu.
Any other ideas are welcome :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back