Rockbox for iBasso DX50 dual boot with stock firmware
Apr 10, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #601 of 2,020
an Indian mango why on earth would they choose a mango that looks more like an apple lol....
comparing tracks between the 2 firmwares i cant believe that i prefer the SQ on the dx50 firmware
i listened to a few tracks on rockbox and there was significant amount of detail that was not there
but was very apparent on the dx50 firmware .
please don't shoot me down but the detail in the piano,guitar,drums was so much more believable
[size=x-small]in my [/size]opinion[size=x-small]. [/size] 
did not use the EQ on rockbox either , i tried it but not much better .
thats just my opinion guys..
does anyone feel the same way about this please let me know
or maybe i am doing something wrong lol ....

Apr 10, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #603 of 2,020
Apr 10, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #605 of 2,020
I'm all good with RB.. If ibasso will release a new FW.. Will give it a try and do some comparison.. I love the neutrality of RB

Apr 10, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #607 of 2,020
I think ibasso wont release a neutral sounding FW IMO.. I think the emotion your telling is more like a sound coloration for me

Apr 10, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #609 of 2,020
yup now worries about that.. got a different ear you know lol

Apr 10, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #612 of 2,020
I tried the RB, didn't care for it that much, took it off.  I didn't notice much of a sound difference using Dunu 1000, so didn't see a need for it.  YMMV.  
o2smile.gif

Oh, and I have no volume spikes on mine, though I am running it at full volume through Line Out to a JDS Labs C5 amp.  

Apr 11, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #613 of 2,020
That is no way coloration by any means ....sorry do not agree with that ..

Color by any other name is still color. The DX50 firmware is not neutral. 

Color is not necessarily a bad thing. My FAD IEMs are definitely colored and that is their signature. Personally I could not stand the DX50 firmware sound. It was never quite right. I retired my DX50 for several months until Rockbox came out. Now the DX50 is back in action with the Pico Power and sounding very good indeed.

(And I just did a comparison of mango and Rockbox. My opinion has not changed regarding the DX50 firmware. No thank you.)

Apr 11, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #614 of 2,020
Color by any other name is still color. The DX50 firmware is not neutral. 

Color is not necessarily a bad thing. My FAD IEMs are definitely colored and that is their signature. Personally I could not stand the DX50 firmware sound. It was never quite right. I retired my DX50 for several months until Rockbox came out. Now the DX50 is back in action with the Pico Power and sounding very good indeed.

(And I just did a comparison of mango and Rockbox. My opinion has not changed regarding the DX50 firmware. No thank you.)

Agree, at first glance the difference is obvious between mango and RB for me. Using Roxanne the DX50 FW is too warm and overpowering the mids and highs. RB certainly fixed that for me. With a powerful and equally neutral amp, DX50 is hard to beat.

My hope with DX90 is that I would not need an amp for it and if iBasso make it as close to neutral as RB. Otherwise, RB will be coming to DX90 as well (I hope).

Apr 11, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #615 of 2,020
Agree, at first glance the difference is obvious between mango and RB for me. Using Roxanne the DX50 FW is too warm and overpowering the mids and highs. RB certainly fixed that for me. With a powerful and equally neutral amp, DX50 is hard to beat.

My hope with DX90 is that I would not need an amp for it and if iBasso make it as close to neutral as RB. Otherwise, RB will be coming to DX90 as well (I hope).

Yes. But even if the DX90 has a good internal amp and is neutral - 'big ifs' in my view - I still hope that the DX90 gets Rockbox. It has so many great features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back