Rhapsodio RDB+ 2v1 review, impressions and appreciation thread.
Jun 19, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #46 of 81
Great I'm Glad!

Jun 19, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #47 of 81
Great, but can I keep it for a while because if you see the meet thread, there seems to have too many people so I've created a second meet. 

Jun 19, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #48 of 81
So some quick first impressions, I won't be doing a review on these this time round. With the time I have 2v1 I'll write some short impressions here, I only have them 7 days.. I'll also try and do a match up between the Shozy PX-M1 and C&C BH if I have time.

Anyway 2v1.

I like the low end, 2v1 isn't what I'd call balanced to my ears, (well this pair isn't) If I'm hearing correctly the low end is more forward than my RDB+ v1, and sadly I'm enjoying the bass quality, detail and speed on 2v1 more, it feels tighter and holds better clarity in sub-bass regions. The dynamic driver used is very capable. If I can find a screw driver to prior open the shells, I'll be swapping over those dynamic drivers with my v1.

Tonality leans cooler than v1 to my ears, brighter, so it obviously sounds clearer maybe to bright for some. I think there's a decent amount of detail and separation, it's not to shabby in the technical department, but the down fall is there's something funky going in the upper mids / lower treble, which makes me put them down or prevents me listening at anything but lower volume. it's rather harsh in treble, sibilant with vocals and instruments at certain frequencies.

Sometimes 2v1 randomly spikes, songs that usually don't play up are developing a lot of Bbbbb, Ttttt, Shhhh from almost out of no-where which worsens when raising the volume. I went straight for different tips, tried the other cable, other sources but I can't shake the sibilance which is not present at all on my RDB+ v1. it needs to be tamed or toned down.

Treble is rather hot, and for me who used to EQ up TF10's high end enjoying a nice treble slap these are bordering on to much treble for me, as I've said above it's ok at lower volumes but when I try lifting the volume bringing the mids and that wonderful low end up those highs come to forward and the sibilance increases, so I can't experience the technical benefits when these problems are occurring. I'll give them some more time and write up a final impression but I cannot use these for long periods. It's a real shame because it does have some great build quality, I love the way you can look in the shells and see the BA and dynamic driver clear as day, I just can't deal with the upper mids and lower treble stepping out of line overall, it's needs some fine tuning imo.

I don't think it's disgusting or a complete fail attempt, there's some very nice detail, bass response, air, instrument separation. imaging is strong and the layering is impressive, also when the treble doesn't become to hot there's nice sparkle at lower volumes, there have been moments I've enjoyed it so far, especially the low end, though 2v1 is not suited for higher to moderate level listening to these ears. I can hear 2v1 trying, it's really attempting to put on a show, but these errors I'm detecting prevent 2v1 being able to shine stopping me fully enjoying it.

Do I like it?

I like it yes, but I need to filter out these problems to entirely experience 2v1, there's some demons inside. :p Needs some cleansing.

Jun 21, 2013 at 6:12 AM Post #49 of 81
Thanks to shotgunshane for organizing the tour.. I received the RDB 2v1 & Shozy amp this afternoon.  I'll post the Shozy amp impression in the appropriate thread.. I've spent an hour or so with the RDB, so consider the following impressions as "initial."  All listening was done with my portable rig (ODAC + Meier Audio QuickStep amp).

The general signature of the RDB sounds gently u-shaped to my ears.  The presentation tends to lean to the "lean" & "cool" side of neutral.  This lends the RDB to having a clean sound that's highly resolving, fast, and offering very good imaging ability.  One of the things that jumped out at me was the very silent/dark background.  Perhaps the ODAC & QuickStep are partially/mostly responsible for this, but the RDB does seem to have a noticeably lower noise floor than I've heard with many other IEMs.

Bass seems quite flat until the sub bass frequencies.. where I sense a gently upward slope.  Personally speaking, I'd like to have seen a little more midbass presence to nourish the lower/midrange with some needed body.. this would've provided better depth & realism to male voices.  The midrange seems quite flat in terms of tuning and doesn't appear to be positioned uncomfortably far behind the bass and treble.  That being said, it does feel recessed in comparison to how I sense midrange position from the more neutral, accurate phones I've heard/owned.  Is it a steep "v" ?  Not to my ears.  Treble is crisp, open, and detailed.  The overall character is, undoubtedly "TWFK" to my ears.  There is a peak in the upper mids/'presence' region that can get a bit hot with less than ideally-recorded material... but it provides a nice bite to sounds & instruments that occupy this region (as long as you're listening at low to moderate volumes).  Observing the center treble-to-upper treble tuning, I sensed a gentle upward slope.. one being quite proportional to the upward (sub)bass slope at the opposite end of the spectrum.

Where I was less impressed was the soundstage.  Depth appeared to be a bit shallow and width was slightly less than average (ambiguous, I know.. since I haven't provided a reference.. that'll come in time).. even by IEM standards.  The lean presentation and slightly blaise soundstage made for a generally 'meh' listening experience.  It wasn't poor.. but it certainly didn't captivate me (the way that I'd expect a $650 phone should).

So far. I think this a decent sounding phone.. but I wouldn't pay a dime over $150 for it.  While the freq tuning seems fairly linear.. it lacks the engagement factor and robust soundstage I tend to crave from well executed, neutral-ish phones.IMO, the 2v1 simply doesn't provide value at its original asking price.

If I have more impressions (or they change), I'll post them.  If not, these (and the Shozy amp) will be off to the next tour member by next week.

Jun 21, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #50 of 81
Just curious, when is the amp and 2v1 coming to me? The meet is only a week away. Also, svyr, have you gotten the old v1 and the K2 amp?
Thanks guys

Jun 21, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #51 of 81
Just curious, when is the amp and 2v1 coming to me? The meet is only a week away. Also, svyr, have you gotten the old v1 and the K2 amp?
Thanks guys

The Australian 2v1 and amp is currently with me, both sitting in the corner crying. I will have it to you a couple of days before the 28th. Don't you worry, everything is under control. :wink:

Jun 21, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #52 of 81
Quote:
The Australian 2v1 and amp is currently with me, both sitting in the corner crying. I will have it to you a couple of days before the 28th. Don't you worry, everything is under control.
wink.gif

Huh? 

Jun 21, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #55 of 81
You like your other IEMs better? This is the most expensive IEM currently in your possession right?

I own Rhapsodio RDB+ v1 which cost the same price, I think most of us who have heard both preferred that model. It's really the uncontrolled sibilance that prevents me completely enjoying 2v1, it's a nice IEM don't get me wrong, you can see what I said in my impression though, I still feel inclined to lean towards the much cheaper T-Peos H-200 or Etymotic ER4S for that matter.

Jun 21, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #56 of 81
Quote:
I own Rhapsodio RDB+ v1 which cost the same price, I think most of us who have heard both preferred that model. It's really the uncontrolled sibilance that prevents me completely enjoying 2v1, it's a nice IEM don't get me wrong, you can see what I said in my impression though, I still feel inclined to lean towards the much cheaper T-Peos H-200 or Etymotic ER4S for that matter.

I don't think that they will see that much use because of my Miracles. 

Jun 26, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #58 of 81
Got them today. Reviews will be done over the weekend?

I'm glad they arrived in good time, posted at 4pm, then in your hands by 12pm the next day.

You take your time, no rush getting anything out quickly, you'll have them for a while to my understanding with the meet and all. I'm sure svyr would say the same.

Jun 26, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #59 of 81
First impressions, the RDB 2v1 sounds a bit weird. The bass is a bit south of neutral and the highs are very nice, but a bit overdone, but after all, it is a TWFK driver so that was what I expected. Now comes the weird part - the mids. They sound a bit thin and have that sort of nasal feeling if you know what I mean. I have a B2 which is just a TWFK driver IEM and it doesn't have the dynamic driver that the 2v1 does and I am finding that I actually prefer the mids on that more. However, the bass impact and quality is far better than the B2 and the highs aren't as sibilant, but not by much. There is also a bit more detail. Not bad at all, but worth $600? To me, it is a no. Oh, and before I forget, compared to the Miracles, there is simply no comparison. The Miracles are simply better in every way and everything in the music is just more coherent.
As for the Shozy amp, I was very impressed. I tested it with my HDP-R10 which I now have gotten to know so well and I found the sound more enjoyable and fun, but nowhere near as reference as the stock. The amp adds midbass and drums etc hit harder, but aren't muddy. The midrange was good as well, but I feel like it was actually a bit of a step down from the internal amp which is exceptional if you haven't heard it. Treble was nice as well, but no improvement over the internal amp. Microdetails weren't as good as the internal amp and separation was lacking a bit as well. However, people have said that the amp is better than the $500 Apex Glacier, so for the Shozy amp to come close to it is quite an impressive feat considering that it is $300. The cable that came with it is of quite high quality, but my DIY SPC cable was a bit better I think. To sum up, the Shozy amp is a very nice portable amplifier and I guess you could say that it's bass is it's strength. 
Now, you might ask whether I am going to buy them. The answer to the RDB 2v1 is a resounding no, but I'm still a bit on the fence about the Shozy amp. I really did enjoy it, especially the bass, but on a whole, it isn't really an upgrade to the internal amp, but more like a sidegrade. Full reviews coming soon, but for the RDB 2v1, I am probably giving it a 2.5/3 star and the Shozy amp a 4-5 star rating. 

Jun 26, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #60 of 81
Quote:
I'm glad they arrived in good time, posted at 4pm, then in your hands by 12pm the next day.

You take your time, no rush getting anything out quickly, you'll have them for a while to my understanding with the meet and all. I'm sure svyr would say the same.

Thanks for posting them so promptly. I am not really enjoying the RDB 2v1 very much at all, but that might change. It is good technically, but the mids really does kill the entire IEM. I would hope that the v1 is better. However, on the positive side, I can say that I really enjoyed the Shozy amp, and I might actually purchase one. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back