Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Mar 21, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #2,116 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fremen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a feeling of "cheap" engineering.

And cheap soldering... tuximus's LED is dead, it doesn't get current from the MCU.

Thanks for the explanation, never seen a circuit with this cheap 100 Ohm MCU protection up to now.

Mar 21, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #2,117 of 9,388
Quote:

I like my Zero and MKV combo very much
biggrin.gif
. The MKV has now been used for more than 150 hours. Compared to the Zero headamp (with OPA627's+LM4562's which is my favorite combo) everything is more precise, separated, more ...real. It makes really a big difference.
But I have to say that, depending on my mood, I sometimes prefer to use the Zero headamp. With the Zero I can "feel" the drums whereas with tke MKV I find myself more "seeing" them. Well... not sure someone will understand me
tongue.gif

Just like I was trying to describe in my review. I love precision at that level very much. You are right about the Zero's headphone amp too. It is more "in your face and shake your boots". I have a second set of OPA627's coming so I can setup my other Zero like the first one. I may even try the LM4562's in the head amp again, just to see if (after all this time) I like it better than the LT1364's. I have come to the conclusion though, that having the OPA627s in the DAC is "best" all around for the DAC output. Every amp I drive with the Zero's DAC, loves those 627's.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2008 at 1:30 PM Post #2,118 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by rpveld /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Zero has left Hong Kong, so hopefully I will get it in the next 10 days
biggrin.gif

Since I have the MKV and HD 650, like you do, and you like that combo with the Zero I sure do want to try that .
I already have the OPA627's but I am not sure what LM4562 to get.
Do I need one or two, or one dual or two with a an adapter.
Please enlighten me
confused.gif

Quote:

LM4562s are dual opamps(like OPA2604 and NE5532 which are the stock opamps). If you want to put them in the headamp section, you will need two of them, as there are two NE5532 to replace.
But if you connect your MKV to the zero, the LM4562's won't be of any use because they are bypassed when you don't use the headphone output or the preamp function of the Zero.
I have to say that the OPA627+LM4562 combo in the Zero (which is my favorite when using the zero as a standalone) doesn't seem to be the most commonly recommended as beeing the best one... just a matter of taste
wink.gif

I guess that means there are three of us with that same combination.
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #2,119 of 9,388
Quote:

LM4562s are dual opamps(like OPA2604 and NE5532 which are the stock opamps). If you want to put them in the headamp section, you will need two of them, as there are two NE5532 to replace.
But if you connect your MKV to the zero, the LM4562's won't be of any use because they are bypassed when you don't use the headphone output or the preamp function of the Zero.
I have to say that the OPA627+LM4562 combo in the Zero (which is my favorite when using the zero as a standalone) doesn't seem to be the most commonly recommended as beeing the best one... just a matter of taste
wink.gif

Thanks Fremen, it is clear to me now. I did mean I want to try it in the Zero as DAC/AMP without the MKV, just for fun.
Most of the time it will be the Zero in combination with the MKV.
But when I get my AKG K701, the Zero alone might be a good combination I would like to try. I also might want to enter in the world of Tube Amp's and get me a MK III for the AKG K701

@Penchum:
It was your review that made me decide to get the MKV..
And you are right about the MKV ( I love it) so I assumed you are right about the Zero too.
tongue.gif

Mar 21, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #2,120 of 9,388
Quote:

Thanks Fremen, it is clear to me now. I did mean I want to try it in the Zero as DAC/AMP without the MKV, just for fun.
Most of the time it will be the Zero in combination with the MKV.
But when I get my AKG K701, the Zero alone might be a good combination I would like to try. I also might want to enter in the world of Tube Amp's and get me a MK III for the AKG K701

@Penchum:
It was your review that made me decide to get the MKV..
And you are right about the MKV ( I love it) so I assumed you are right about the Zero too.
tongue.gif

Yep, it's a great combo.
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #2,121 of 9,388
Here you can find pictures of my slightly modded Zero (dimmed leds, Neutrik RCA's in the back). If you are wondering those blocks between Zero and LD, they are MDF-wood so that Zero won't heat up so much.

Mar 21, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #2,122 of 9,388
Hi, guys. I'm going to order this incredible device. Can you tell me where can I get these DACs and opamps or maybe I can just ask Lawrence to replace stock chips by something better before sending?

Mar 21, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #2,123 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by mADmAN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey guys...just thought id share my ZERO mods...

i have no idea about electronics... so i got someone to do it for me.... heres a list of mods that he did (accordingto him). the guy has a modded Zhaolu so hes very familiar with the internals as the Zero share basically the same internals as a Zhaolu.

1. Diode Bypass (reduce noise)
2. Stability and Noise killing mod for digital section (PS bypass replaced with Silver Mica)
3. Ground loop breaker mod (better caps)
4. More capacitance for the main analog stage, from 4400uF to 6600uF
5. More capacitance for the digital stage with Silmic II parallel, from 2000uF to 2330uF and bypass.
6. Cap replacement on analog output stage
7. Film cap replacement with german Wimas near the clock, DAC and supply lines.

personally...i cant tell the difference...coz i never did an AB test between modded vs stock... though i know ill be able to tell the difference if i do an AB. i dont have pix of the mod though...will add them when i have a chance to take pix (aka when i stop being lazy).

current setup is ESI Maya44 Coaxial -> Canare 75ohm Coaxial cable (forgot model) + Neutrik RCA -> Zero -> Beyer DT990 '05.

opamp is stock at the DAC level but i have OPA627 coming in soon and will put that into the DAC.

on stock opamps...i love it...the soundstage is MUCH wider than the setup in my sig. plus the mids actually jumped out at me. another thing i like is that the highs on the DT990 is tamed even at stock, unmodded condition.

now i have 2*OPA2107 in the headamp section. mids has become recessed again...but this is due to the fact that the opamps made the sound very airy... still enjoyable though.. and has a slightly wider soundstage. gonna put back the stock opamps when i actually get off my backside....i want them mids as i listen mostly to metal.

i also have another OPA627 coming in later on... so final setup would probably be 2107 in DAC and 627s in headamp. has anyone tried this yet? how does it sound???

Quote:

Originally Posted by pincellone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, thanks. Keep us posted...

as promised...here are the pix of the modded internals of the ZERO... cant really remember much...and i dont really know what to take pix of...so i just snapped what i knew and also the board at different angles in case anyone knows what to look for.

according to my friend theres also mods that had to be done on the under side of the board (no pix...not gonna have any) due to lack of space on the top. so........ enjoy the pix.

zeromod01og1.jpg

zeromod02mj2.jpg

zeromod03er8.jpg

zeromod04ll2.jpg

zeromod05nk9.jpg

zeromod06il0.jpg

zeromod07yi8.jpg

and also a pic for those planning on the OPA627 into their ZERO's DAC...
zeromodteasehq5.jpg

anyway...in case anyone wants stock internal pix (for comparison or whatever)... ive posted a bunch of them HERE

Mar 21, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #2,124 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by fizmax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, guys. I'm going to order this incredible device. Can you tell me where can I get these DACs and opamps or maybe I can just ask Lawrence to replace stock chips by something better before sending?

You could PM SOUPERMAN, that's where I bought most of mine.
Or you could try : diykits if Souperman doesn't have what you want.
From what I have read Lawrence is expensive with his opamps.
Besides Souperman is very quick with responding and shipping.

Mar 21, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #2,125 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by mADmAN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as promised...here are the pix of the modded internals of the ZERO... cant really remember much...and i dont really know what to take pix of...so i just snapped what i knew and also the board at different angles in case anyone knows what to look for.

according to my friend theres also mods that had to be done on the under side of the board (no pix...not gonna have any) due to lack of space on the top. so........ enjoy the pix.

Where is your headphone amp board? Or was it removed?

Mar 21, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #2,126 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here you can find pictures of my slightly modded Zero (dimmed leds, Neutrik RCA's in the back). If you are wondering those blocks between Zero and LD, they are MDF-wood so that Zero won't heat up so much.

I like the Neutrik's in the back! I wonder if they make a shorter stemmed one for close in applications like this? I have my MKIVse parked on top of one of my Zeros too.
smily_headphones1.gif
No spacer yet, just the feet. I have often thought about this same sized equipment coming out of China...almost like it is a new "standard" or something. I'd love to have a nice 3 or 4 piece stack, with the tube amp on top!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #2,127 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And cheap soldering... tuximus's LED is dead, it doesn't get current from the MCU.

Thanks for the explanation, never seen a circuit with this cheap 100 Ohm MCU protection up to now.

Likewise, thank you for the explanation. I am uncertain what the deal with that is, but the sound becomes better and better as I let it burn in (fantastic, I may say). I started out wondering a little about the sound, but I stuck with the results of the reviews and I am _very_ happy that I did so. For ~180USD, this thing is a steal with a modest amp included.

It's unfortunate that the LED went out - I have not actually opened it up to see if it is bad soldering, but I have a feeling it could actually have been a bad LED, and the soldering is fine. The cheap MCU would explain why the lights dim (especially a feeble and dying LED). Otherwise, let the good tunes roll!

Mar 21, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #2,128 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where is your headphone amp board? Or was it removed?

its there... i just didnt post up pix of it coz nuttin was done to the amp board other than replacing the stock opamps with 2*OPA2107s.

zeromod00jl1.jpg

dsc02443pw8.jpg

Mar 21, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #2,129 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seba /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have a suggestion for your Zero. You can get it one of these knobs from parts conneXion (Head-Fi Sponsor):

DSCF0299_resize.jpg

They are: KNOBS- 64392 Solid Brass - matte silver, 6mm - shaft diameter with Allen/socket screw mount. In there online catalog here: http://www.partsconnexion.com/catalo...sandknobs.html
Click on "knobs" on the bottom tabs and then scroll down some. Even the chrome one might look good too.
smily_headphones1.gif

One thing I like about them, is they are heavy and make the volume pot feel smooth to turn, and the finish is almost identical to the Zero's faceplate.
smily_headphones1.gif

You can see in my pic, their knobs have a real indented indicator, so you can tell where the volume knob is turned to, even in the dark, just by feeling the knob.
wink.gif

Mar 21, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #2,130 of 9,388
Quote:

My Zero has left Hong Kong, so hopefully I will get it in the next 10 days
biggrin.gif

Since I have the MKV and HD 650, like you do, and you like that combo with the Zero I sure do want to try that .
I already have the OPA627's but I am not sure what LM4562 to get.
Do I need one or two, or one dual or two with a an adapter.
Please enlighten me
confused.gif

Got mine from Eddie Wuh: diykits Fast shipping and a reliable guy.
You can check Nederlands - 's Werelds voornaamste distributeur van elektronische, elektrische en industriële (MRO) componenten en producten. | Farnell NL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back