[Review] Sennheiser IE800: Impressions, Frustration and a bunch of What-Ifs
Aug 24, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #421 of 509
Just bought IE800 and they are amazing!!!
Just one thing that I don't understand, what the hell is microphonics? Cause if it's a static noise or something like that I don't ear a damn thing! And I tap the cable while listening and nothing wiggle my head and not a peep.
So what do you mean when you say microphonics?
wink.gif

by inearmania /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Microphonics, also more commonly known as "cable noise", refers to the noise you hear through the cable when shuffling or bumping against something, your shirt for example. Of course, it depends on the cable but some cables are more prone to cable noise. There are two wearing styles for cables on IEMs. Everyone knows how to wear the cable straight down, which as you may be able to guess, is when you plug in your earphones and let the cable hang downwards coming out of your ear. The other alternative to wear the cable is to loop them around your ear. This is actually very effective in reducing microphonics. Some earphones are only meant to be worn cable down while others only over the ear, but of course there are also those that allow you to wear them either way.

If you don't hear microphonics with a cable down IE800, you're either sitting perfectly still or listening too loud. 
wink.gif

Aug 24, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #423 of 509
Put the earphones in and get a good seal. Then lightly tap on the ends and you should have that "thumping" sound as chawya22 said. Micro phonics sounds basically like that noise only less so. So with the headphones still in grab the y connector that joins the headphones to the main cable that's far to close to your neck that's some some very stingy cable lengths and twist it so that upper cables to the ear pieces flap against your neck/face/chest. You should hear the same kind of sound as directly tapping the earphone, just not as loud.

Don't ask my why it happens or what manufactures do to stop it, but £600 for IEM's that portable devices were so highly thought of when these were being designed, it's frankly IMO a disgrace. I can live with it and a clip in the right position helps. But without knowing how it happens and how easy it is to stop it, Sennheiser really dropped a clanger.

Aug 27, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #424 of 509
I did a lot of research, read all the issues and positives here and decided to get a pair, which arrived today (used from eBay).
Firstly, they do sound great; I mean really, really great. I plugged them into my Astell & Kern AK100 II and before I knew it, close to an hour had passed. Wonderful.
Alas, the microphonics (cable sounds) are there and I'm astonished after years, Sennheiser hasn't fixed the headphone cable length, especially at the top half, to allow for over the ear fitting.
It really is extremely surprising that such a premium product, their range topper in fact, sounds so good, has been designed so well, yet when it comes to the simpler aspect of cabling, the job was clearly given to an intern or someone working in the mail room to do.
I've written to Sennheiser telling them of my thoughts and asking they offer a paid for upgrade to owners of removable cables. If only, right?!

Aug 29, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #425 of 509
Last night I decided to give my IE800 a try. They have been collecting dust for more than a year... Damn I forgot how clear and sweet these mids sound! The whole presentation is like a nice rich cake with some candy sparkle on top.

I also forgot how microphonic the cable is, how they tend to fall off my ears, how splashy the treble is... (sigh)

Oct 6, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #431 of 509
  Last night I decided to give my IE800 a try. They have been collecting dust for more than a year... Damn I forgot how clear and sweet these mids sound! The whole presentation is like a nice rich cake with some candy sparkle on top.

I also forgot how microphonic the cable is, how they tend to fall off my ears, how splashy the treble is... (sigh)

Hi DeepGroove,

I've been thinking of re-buying a set of ie800s for myself. When I had a set, I played them overnight with varied treble and bass-heavy music at a very, very loud volume. I figured that would loosen the diaphragm once and for all and was worth any risk. The treble went from peaky and twfk balanced armature-like to something well-extended non-fatiguing but a bit thin sounding. I was wonder if I could ask you to try this as an experiment and then add the non-woven filter (some have tried teabag material) to see if things change a little for you or not. I've been thinking of the Sony xba-z5 as well, but the extra clear midrange of the ie800 makes me think maybe I should give it another shot. I wore the cable over-ear, so that wasn't a problem. Anyway, thanks.

Oct 7, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #432 of 509
Haven't tried W60 but I also own SE846 in addition to IE800. IE800 is way, way better than SE846 in classical in general.

Hmm, I actually think the SE846 is a better choice there - I feel the IE800's low-bass boost can sound a bit odd, not to mention the microphonics are more noticable during the quiet passages classical music often contains...

Drew

Oct 7, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #433 of 509
Yeah, I would wear the cable over-ear if possible, that ends the microphonics issue. Or look into James' dongle. I'll never get tired of writing that.

I felt the treble peak the 846 has with the white filters threw the timbre off with the classical music I played on it. Well, any music, really. You could try the other filters, but then the already present roll-off may be more of an issue. Just my finding with the 846 as a classical music listener. I liked the ie800 better, but with the cable down, I can see microphonics being an issue.

Oct 12, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #434 of 509
I've had the SE846 for almost a year now, and I also own the IE800 and for sure to me classical is much better to my ears and not only because of the better treble extension but also because of the dynamic range (you really experience piano to fortissimo there), timbre and coherence from a single driver is hard to beat IMHO (I'd love to ear the FI-BA-SS as well). That's also true for Jazz.

It's not scientific at all but in general the IE800 move me where the SE846 are more of an analytical pleasure (I got tired of this).

Oct 24, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #435 of 509
Hi,

based on the comments here I just bought the Sennheiser IE800s.  I got them today, put on the 96K/24-bit Talking Heads "Take Me To The River" and....YUCK!  They are extremely tinny and shrill, even ringy in the 3-8KHz range with zero bass.  As a comparison I have a few other IEs and headphones:  Stax 404s, Etymotic ER-4S, and an inexpensive but OK Audio-Technica ATH-ANC23s.  Anyone familiar with this track, especially the HD remaster knows that Chris Franz's kick is full and awesomely mic'ed.  It is reduced to just a little puff in the IE800s compared to the other IEs and Staxes.  I am concerned that mine are either defective or bogus! 

Anyone else have this experience?  I'm about to return them...if I can.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back