[Review] Sennheiser IE800: Impressions, Frustration and a bunch of What-Ifs
Nov 28, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #496 of 509
Dobrescu George
If as you say it's not harsh and a part of music i can handle a bit more treble but the my worst nighmare was the bass leakage specially in heavy metal songs
Good to know it from you as the more comments coming i'm more interested in these iems:)
Actually i was thinking there is no iem out ther with a balanced tonality beside being fun and musical but with time passing it's more obvious that ie800 is capable of doing that
(Just to give you an idea how insanely expensive these are in my country you can easily compare it to buying a second handed car in your country!! So now you see where i'm coming from and how crazy i am about my music:))

Nov 28, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #497 of 509
@Dobrescu George
If as you say it's not harsh and a part of music i can handle a bit more treble but the my worst nighmare was the bass leakage specially in heavy metal songs
Good to know it from you as the more comments coming i'm more interested in these iems:)
Actually i was thinking there is no iem out ther with a balanced tonality beside being fun and musical but with time passing it's more obvious that ie800 is capable of doing that
(Just to give you an idea how insanely expensive these are in my country you can easily compare it to buying a second handed car in your country!! So now you see where i'm coming from and how crazy i am about my music:))

ie800 costs about 1 second hand good car and 3 second hand cars in Romania 
eek.gif

Don't worry, they are expensive everywhere, but on cheaper countries, they are way more expensive. 

Yeah, the treble is pretty sparkly, tingly, sharp... But ie80 bass bleed is way worse, and ie80 is veiled by default, where ie800 is clear, the sound are so well defined and separated in ie800 that I didn't hear the sharpy treble at all. Then I discovered I love sharp treble and just put up with it... 

I am also a metal head, and ie800 works well, much better than ie800, but depending on your expectations, ie800 might need to take out some treble. Good side is that they will stay clear and there will be no veil in doing so. 

I was using ie80 with +12DB on 12Khz and +8DB on 8KHz and ie800 are still more treble happy than that, but I never thought that ie80 are treble happy or sharp. 

If you cannot listen to any IEM before buying, it's hard to tell what else would be good, people say that SE846 is an ie800 without the treble, but I have not heard it. 

The only two things I heard that were smooth (no treble) but clear and nice sounding except for their lack of treble were Sennheiser HD600 and LCD series of headphones. Nothing else was smooth and worthy to buy. 

The only headphones I would ever buy from all I heard so far are Sennheiser ie800, HD800, HD800S, ultrasone DJ one Pro and Sig Dj, and grado headphones, AKG K550, and EL8C from Audeze. Maybe, just maybe some audio tehnica. Nothing else from what I've heard so far satisfies me... 

Then again, my definition of treble is that of live treble, I was in a band, and a cymbal crash is painful, more energetic than any other sound in this world, it can bright light in the darkness and excite the soul. A headphone or IEM that cannot reproduce that in the least doesn't reproduce music... 

(I'm also very passionate about music, but there is a chance that we appreciate different things about music
biggrin.gif
. It depends on what we're searching for in music)

Nov 28, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #498 of 509
ie800 costs about 1 second hand good car and 3 second hand cars in Romania :eek:

Don't worry, they are expensive everywhere, but on cheaper countries, they are way more expensive. 

Yeah, the treble is pretty sparkly, tingly, sharp... But ie80 bass bleed is way worse, and ie80 is veiled by default, where ie800 is clear, the sound are so well defined and separated in ie800 that I didn't hear the sharpy treble at all. Then I discovered I love sharp treble and just put up with it... 

I am also a metal head, and ie800 works well, much better than ie800, but depending on your expectations, ie800 might need to take out some treble. Good side is that they will stay clear and there will be no veil in doing so. 

I was using ie80 with +12DB on 12Khz and +8DB on 8KHz and ie800 are still more treble happy than that, but I never thought that ie80 are treble happy or sharp. 

If you cannot listen to any IEM before buying, it's hard to tell what else would be good, people say that SE846 is an ie800 without the treble, but I have not heard it. 

The only two things I heard that were smooth (no treble) but clear and nice sounding except for their lack of treble were Sennheiser HD600 and LCD series of headphones. Nothing else was smooth and worthy to buy. 

The only headphones I would ever buy from all I heard so far are Sennheiser ie800, HD800, HD800S, ultrasone DJ one Pro and Sig Dj, and grado headphones, AKG K550, and EL8C from Audeze. Maybe, just maybe some audio tehnica. Nothing else from what I've heard so far satisfies me... 

Then again, my definition of treble is that of live treble, I was in a band, and a cymbal crash is painful, more energetic than any other sound in this world, it can bright light in the darkness and excite the soul. A headphone or IEM that cannot reproduce that in the least doesn't reproduce music... 

(I'm also very passionate about music, but there is a chance that we appreciate different things about music :D . It depends on what we're searching for in music)

So i'm not alone here at paying insane amount of cash on an iem:)
So the kind of treble you're mentioning is one i've never heard as you and many others said it just add up to livelyness and airiness of the ie800 which is not a annoying character if be well defined.

I'm really glad to find here and could ask my question from you lovely guys as here in iran there is no proffessional refrence to be relied on and trust

By far everything i heard is just possitive about ie800s so in upcoming weeks i'm going nowhere but bankrupt:)
Thanks again guys for your kind replies & wish u all best:beers:

Aug 14, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #499 of 509
I have always found with the IE800 that:-

- cable down
- shallow insertion
- angling the earpiece upwards
- firing onto the top walls of the ear canals

to be best sounding and most comfortable
size]

Forgive the very delayed response to this post! I was recently messing about with the fit of the IE800, and the above post led me to a whole new way of wearing them that, to me, improves the SQ significantly.
Previously, I'd been using some of the larger-sized tips, cable down, shallow insertion, and - well, I didn't really find much room to maneuver the IEM to fire in any specific direction. But they sound good and they're obviously super-comfy with a shallow insertion, because there's basically no pressure on your ear canals.

Switching to a smaller tip size, I'm able to follow suggestions 3 & 4 above (I basically rotate the IEM, angling the earpiece upwards, firing onto the top walls of the ear canals), and the sound is indeed much improved. However, the smaller tip means deeper insertion. (BTW, I'm able to easily shift to cable over-ear at that point - still without switching L and R buds.) I've read several posts about why one mustn't use deep insertion with the IE800. @Deftone was kind enough to pm me a suggestion, and I hope they don't mind if I quote part of their message: "Sennheiser wants you to have a shallow fit or the DCA (dual chamber absorber) will not work". For me, the deeper insertion sounds better - in every aspect. Anybody any thoughts on how/why the DCA would behave differently (incorrectly?) with deeper insertion and/or why deeper insertion is considered a no no? (FYI, I'm not blocking any of the vent ports.) In my understanding, a shorter distance between the driver and ear canal should simply shift the resonance peaks to a higher frequency, which (unless you had some specific roll-off in your own hearing you wanted to compensate for), I would have thought would have been generally a good thing(?).

Please explain the errors of my ways!

Jan 18, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #500 of 509
Hey , guys I am new to headfi but I was wondering has anyone been able to reduce the microphonics on the ie800, my brother has it but unfortunately the cable noise was crazy , but the sound quality was really good I was hoping after so many years that somebody figured out a way to reduce it or if there was a way to atleast minimise it , thanks

Jan 18, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #501 of 509
Hey , guys I am new to headfi but I was wondering has anyone been able to reduce the microphonics on the ie800, my brother has it but unfortunately the cable noise was crazy , but the sound quality was really good I was hoping after so many years that somebody figured out a way to reduce it or if there was a way to atleast minimise it , thanks

Use a shirt clip, clip the cable to the shirt, also use the cable splitter thingie and experiment until you find comfort

If I place my DAP in a pocket at the chest level, clip the heavier Y split to my shirt and then let the cable sit loose / relaxed, I get very little microphonics

Jan 18, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #503 of 509
wow, thanks that was actually very informative I shall give that a crack thankyou , ie800 is one of best iem don't want to lose it just over the cable

You wouldn't believe how much I am using them even now, after years of having them. That midrange, bass and treble, their whole sound is just too good to not listen to them sometimes!

Jan 18, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #504 of 509
yes, the ie800 is a wonderful iem that show cases the true capability of a well tuned dynamic driver , btw thanks for the advice about the microphonics once again on how to reduce it , being new to headfi I get to learn from everybody here from this thread

Jan 21, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #505 of 509
ie800 will continue to be one of the few iems that wows you at first listen. Sadly, looks like that is not the case for the new ie800S based on the early reviews and impressions I read.

Jan 21, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #506 of 509
ie800 will continue to be one of the few iems that wows you at first listen. Sadly, looks like that is not the case for the new ie800S based on the early reviews and impressions I read.

You should still give them a listen when you can, my understanding is that they are a special kind of IEM like ie800 were. Less wow isn't always bad, because they might be more suitable for long-term listening .

Jan 21, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #507 of 509
You should still give them a listen when you can, my understanding is that they are a special kind of IEM like ie800 were. Less wow isn't always bad, because they might be more suitable for long-term listening .

Hopefully when I get the chance to go to the local store. Ie800s was a more refined ie800 from initial feedback so they seem to be more balanced across the spectrum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back