Review: Oritek X-1 and X-2 Interconnects
Dec 8, 2005 at 6:19 PM Post #32 of 53
Perception of music is affected by one's mood. For example, and it might differ from person to person, if you are down, the haunting voices of love lost by female singers really gets to you and the music sounds good, as you can relate to it. And if you are feeling peppy, full of energy, the same sounds slow and 'not there'; while listening to fast paced rock would produce the 'wow-that sounds good' factor.

Dec 8, 2005 at 6:23 PM Post #33 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
One of the things that keeps tripping up the process of gathering credible information is the wildly different abilities of the reporters. Anyone can write at length with the audiophile jargon dictionary in their hand and how could you know they're actually half deaf? That they may have been in possession of two dozen cables over many years doesn't mean much even if they have good ears but poor written skills. I don't have a proposal on how to deal with that in a free speech internet other than to be more questioning.

I'm sitting here trying to figure out exactly what the point of your post is and what in my post prompted you to bring out the soapbox. I can only gather you have a beef with DarkAngel which if that's the case or if you have a problem with another members reviewing skills then I ask that you say outright.

No reviewer whether they're writing for an online forum or getting paid to write in a magazine is perfect. Reviews should be taken for what they are, someones subjective opinion, it's just another way for people to gather information in a decision making process. You take a reviewers opinion as gospel at your own peril though sometimes one can become familiar enough with a reviewer to have an element of trust for their opinion so that it holds more weight with you than others, I think in the case of DarkAngel he has led many people on this site down the path to better systems and more musical enjoyment which is why I suggested Michael send the cryo'd pair to him (not to mention he already has a pair to compare with and has had reasonably extensive experience with cryo treating cables). Quote:

I demonstrated how cross referencing someone's music forum posts can reveal a lack of ability that isn't apparent in their cable description. And they're still steamed at me for outing them. In hindsight I think that sort of insight into another writer should be kept to one's self in order to spare their feelings.

I have no idea what you're getting at here, how can a persons music forum posts reveal a lack of ability? What lack of ability? Where and when exactly did this "outting" occur?

I must admit the innuendo's running rampant through your post are really annoying to say the least, if you've got something to say, say it and don't beat around the bush.

Dec 8, 2005 at 6:26 PM Post #34 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by gurus
Perception of music is affected by one's mood. For example, and it might differ from person to person, if you are down, the haunting voices of love lost by female singers really gets to you and the music sounds good, as you can relate to it. And if you are feeling peppy, full of energy, the same sounds slow and 'not there'; while listening to fast paced rock would produce the 'wow-that sounds good' factor.

One would hope that a person would listen to what they're in the mood for.
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Dec 8, 2005 at 6:37 PM Post #35 of 53
There is no "right" or "wrong" in audio, only "I like" and "I don't like". At the end of the day, it's about *your* pleasure, *your* brain, and *your* ears, not about pleasing some anonymous person on the web. If one likes his Triports, more power to him.
orphsmile.gif

Dec 8, 2005 at 6:39 PM Post #36 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by gurus
And how about the fact that everybody has a different system and are listening to different recordings, and on top of it , don't even know what the recording engineer had in mind ( did he add a 3db boost to the bass?) and how that recording was supposed to sound like.

Sorry for the hijack.

You need experience with many high quality audio gears over many years. When you climb the ladder your ears get trained too and it's quite easy to figure out when you get closer and closer to that master-tape sound. One key is low harmonics distortions and i'm sorry to say this but reading this forum since a while now, i realise how few people know what it means or maybe lot of audiophiles like some sort of coloration?

I think i can agree with eyeteeth. Unfortunately what makes a good reviewer, especially "amateur" reviews on the net, is first the writing skill of the guy and second his experience. I'm amazed by the writing skill of some dudes, you know like when you feel the need to buy the gear LOL. What i'm doing is trying to check where the guy come from. Like with everything on this planet you need years if not decades to know what your talking about.

Dec 8, 2005 at 6:41 PM Post #37 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
There is no "right" or "wrong" in audio, only "I like" and "I don't like". At the end of the day, it's about *your* pleasure, *your* brain, and *your* ears, not about pleasing some anonymous person on the web. If one likes his Triports, more power to him.
orphsmile.gif

Well said!
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2005 at 7:48 PM Post #38 of 53
You fools!
It is all win, win, win situation.......three great cables (Grover, Wolff, Oritek)anyone one would be a great addition, amazing performance compared to what was available previously in cable market at any sane price, it is foolish endeavor to strongly advocate a clear winner......these are a very elite group compared to many cables I have previously owned.

Ori
Has contacted me and is excited about learning results from deep cryo of X1,
he is great addition to Head-Fi community of cablephiles, has open mind to try new things to ever improve sound performance

Dec 8, 2005 at 7:53 PM Post #39 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
I must admit the innuendo's running rampant through your post are really annoying to say the least, if you've got something to say, say it and don't beat around the bush.

Yes, well...sorry about that elnero. Too much work. Where were ya earlier in the week?
wink.gif

It'll have to be left to the individual reader's skill to sort out who is and who is not an accurate audio reviewer.
Mastergill sees it.

Myself I'll be happily ignoring the amateur from now on and stick with a few favourite pro reviewers with successful track records. Successful in that what I get is exactly what they described, both strengths and weaknesses. That's how the X-1 came to my attention.
biggrin.gif

Hey as Markl said as long as your happy. Can't argue with that.
cool.gif

Dec 8, 2005 at 7:55 PM Post #40 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
You fools!
It is all win, win, win situation.......three great cables (Grover, Wolff, Oritek)

Can't argue with that either!

Dec 8, 2005 at 8:32 PM Post #41 of 53
Quote:

Myself I'll be happily ignoring the amateur from now on and stick with a few favourite pro reviewers with successful track records. Successful in that what I get is exactly what they described, both strengths and weaknesses. That's how the X-1 came to my attention.
biggrin.gif

considering your X-1 thread youre a pot calling the kettle black eyeteeth, that was the most blatantly one-sided review ive ever read on this forum. considering you cant find any fault in the X-1 when A/B to the UR5 readers should be more skeptical about your listening ability than anyone elses here.

ive been honest about overall enjoying the x-1 more and ive also been honest about overall liking the tone of the UR5 better, which is still undeniable imh0. now that the UR6 is out, so far, its further exposed and magnified that tonal imbalance in the X-1 by quite a bit. the X-1 will not be hiding behind the lush midrange and overall smoothness of my tubes anymore either.

and i agree, if you have something to say dont be so passive aggressive, youre not clever enough to make it work.

Dec 8, 2005 at 9:34 PM Post #42 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mastergill
Sorry for the hijack.

You need experience with many high quality audio gears over many years. When you climb the ladder your ears get trained too and it's quite easy to figure out when you get closer and closer to that master-tape sound. One key is low harmonics distortions and i'm sorry to say this but reading this forum since a while now, i realise how few people know what it means or maybe lot of audiophiles like some sort of coloration?

Sorry for the hijack of the hijack
confused.gif

Anyway I usually try to stay out of cable threads but how exactly do I know if I am actually getting any closer to the "master-tape sound" if I do not have access to the master tapes?

I also didn't know that the goal of an audio reproduction system was minimization of harmonic distortion. Silly me. I thought it was about a system that lets you enjoy the music. Thanks for clearing that up.
rolleyes.gif

PS - I have enjoyed this thread a great deal and it has stimulated me to audition both the Oritek and Wolff cables in my system (Turns wallet upside down with little result)

Dec 8, 2005 at 10:44 PM Post #43 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by euclid
and i agree, if you have something to say dont be so passive aggressive, youre not clever enough to make it work.

Wow! Being called "not clever" by euclid just might be the biggest insult I've ever suffered.
tongue.gif

I don't get it, first "subtle mocking" and now "passive aggressive", is it a comprehension or attention span thing? I didn't think it was possible for the big post to have been gotten wrong.
Now I know how Al Capone felt.
wink.gif

Dec 8, 2005 at 11:18 PM Post #44 of 53
The Wire Stirs The Fire.

Here, have some milk and cookies. Go ahead, it's on me.

Dec 9, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #45 of 53
actually i called you "not clever enough" its that you fall short of being truely clever that sort of makes you sound like an elitist prick, otherwise i think people would be laughing it off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back