Review: Oritek X-1 and X-2 Interconnects
Nov 30, 2005 at 7:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

zdogg

100+ Head-Fier
It’s rare that a piece of gear, particularly something like a “simple” interconnect, so improves the musicality of my system that I feel obliged to blather in detail about it. I’ve sorta stood on the fence for too long now, and I thought I should give some of my impressions of the latest cables from Oritek, in particular the X-1 and the new X-2 (which not too many people have heard yet). There’s been a lot of talk on Head-fi about these cables and similar ones in this price range, and I feel like I oughta weigh in now that I’ve had experience with the entire line of Oritek cables.

Here’s some background:

I’ve recently been drifting a bit from my K-1000-based headphone rig to a living room speaker rig with DAC1 as source, Pathos Classic One Mark II as amp, and a pair of 91db-sensitive Triangle Antal ES speakers. My cables include a Signal Cable Digital power cord for the DAC1, Grover UR3 RCA interconnect between DAC1 and Pathos, and Paul Speltz Anti-cable speaker wire.

After much tweaking, toeing in, and pulling out of hair, I felt I had a decent sound with a beautiful wide and deep soundstage. Still, I was constantly tweaking around, rolling tubes, and generally fiddling…a sign that something wasn’t satisfying me (seemed more than a simple recurrent case of Audiophilia Nervosa
blink.gif
). So trolling around the boards I learned of this guy Ori and his cables…

I dropped him an email; his response was fast and courteous, but filled with what I felt was the usual “greatest cable ever” hyperbole I’ve heard from others. What was interesting was his offer to bring the cables to my house (we both live in the Bay Area) and let me hear for myself.

I didn’t want to drag him to my place (and I have an irrational fear of letting strangers I meet on the internet into my home
eek.gif
), so I went to his place. I’m a big time skeptic, and have learned to my loss that hype on discussion boards in particular can cost you lots of time and money; there’s just no substitute for listening carefully yourself.

So go to listen I did. Ori is a fascinating character; smart, experienced, and a humongous music fan…one immediately gets the feeling that everything he does is in the service of enjoying music. He builds cables, amps, and audio gizmos of all sorts. He has one of the least expensive-looking and yet most musical systems I have ever heard, with a colleciton of thousands of CDs and vinyl…we spent three hours spinning tunes (and oh, yeah, auditioning cables…). I left better for the experience and ready to hit the record store to snag some great new music I heard. But I digress…this is a cable review after all. We listened to some cables…wow. But why discuss my impressions of a foreign rig with strange new cables and new music? Let me tell you what I heard in MY rig when I heard these at home.

I auditioned an X-1 ($199 for a meter I think), a new X-2 ($649/meter, $449 for 0.6 meter), a balanced X-1B ($269/meter), and an 8.5 foot length of S-1 speaker cable ($469). I directly compared these to a Grover UR3 (RCA) and my Speltz Anti-cable speaker wires. I had a Grover UR5 balanced cable on hand, but these weren’t burned in so I don’t want to give my impressions here.

Ok, first off, the Grover UR3s are a fine sounding cable. Prior reviews have been posted about these, and newer versions have since sprouted up. I haven’t heard these newer versions. The UR3s have outstanding detail and resolution, pinpoint soundstaging, and a taut/controlled bass; they are a great cable when compared to others in their price range. I’ve heard Nordost Valhallas, Tara Lab’s high end cables, and some other $$$ cables at local high-end stores that clearly sound superior, but they had BETTER for that much cash.

Now here’s the thing…I put the X-1s in my system, and holy…
I’m not so hot with audiophile descriptions, but let me try to put some fumbling words on it. The immediate impression is that a choke has been removed from the line feeding music through it, and everything opens up as a result.

To break it down, I like to remind myself of what constitutes reproduced music (which is ultimately an often feeble attempt to mimic the real live experience). There’s a “soundstage” with images floating in it, there’s the reproduction of treble, midrange, and bass frequencies with resultant impressions of texture, timbre, etc., and there’s an overall sense of forward momentum, rhythm, and dynamic contrast.

Soundstage:

With the X-1’s in place, the soundstage suddenly goes from relatively flat to startlingly three-dimensional. Every instrument develops a remarkable sense of depth. I found this particularly true with large instruments like stand up bass and drum kits. They simple sounded more natural, like the music was being produced right there, rather than being RE-produced. Both the Grovers and the X-1s produced sharp images in the sound field, but the X-1s simply sounded more real. There was space around the instruments that gave them room to bloom.

Tonal Reproduction:

Ask Ori what he uses to make his cables, and he answers “Who cares? Does it sound good?” I simply can’t argue here. Copper, Silver, Plutonium, who knows? The end result is a beautiful balance of highs, mids, and lows; the highs are way extended and yet sweet and refined, the mids have a fine texture that allows the detection of subtle timbres in vocals that I simply couldn’t hear with the UR3s, and the bass is controlled, extended, ample, and most importantly well integrated. In fact, I think the biggest improvement I hear is a coherency between the frequency bands. They all melt together into a continuum. I very carefully a/b’d X-1 with UR3 to listen to bass in particular because I thought the Grovers might have a slightly more impactful bass. What I realized, however, is that the bass stands out more with the UR3s, more in contrast to the rest of the frequency range than in harmony with it. This is not necessarily unpleasant, but it simply doesn’t sound as musical or natural in comparison with the coherency of the X-1. The tonal balance of the X-1s just sounds right.

One of the most prominent treble-range tonal facets I heard with the X-1s was the inclusion of otherwise missing upper harmonic content. The harmonics riding above piano notes and violin strings, for example…you don’t know these are missing until you hear them back in place, which I did when I swapped in the X-1s. Again, natural sounding music is the result. It’s really remarkable…don’t take my word for it, listen yourself.

Dynamics and Musical Flow:

This is an aspect of musical reproduction that I’ve only recently come to truly appreciate as essential…if the toes don’t tap and the music doesn’t “flow”, forget musical nirvana. Many parts of a system will go into making this happen right. When I plugged the X-1 into the chain, again, it was like a choke was taken off. Music just flowed better. Hard to describe, and I’m not good at it. Micro and macro dynamics were outstanding. The UR3 does a great job with macro dynamics as well, but I found detail and microdynamic shadings to be better resolved with the X-1.

The Spouse Test:

Ok, I’m gushing like every other “budget” cable review that’s come before. Maybe I’m a victim of the dreaded placebo effect. Nice cable man plays me music, offers me candy, lends me cables…I go home with a happy smile in a good mood and put a smiley mental spin on what I hear. Possible? Sure. I heard these improvements in Ori’s rig, and even bigger improvements in my rig, and I found myself enjoying music more and more with the X-1s…and after hearing the X-2s (more below) I shelled out and bought ‘em without hesitation (despite the higher price). Still, I could’ve drunk the proverbial cool-aid and have this all wrong.

Not believing that such improvements could be real myself (remember, I’m a physician and a born skeptic…a wire is a wire, right?
icon10.gif
), I boldly asked my audio-hobby-hating wife to humor me with a little experiment. I had her listen to a song she likes, not telling her what I was doing or why. First I played her the tune with the UR3s in. Then I played it with the X-1s (she had no idea what I was doing and probably still doesn’t). She immediately said, “What did you do, that sounds much better.” How so, I asked? “I don’t know, more natural I guess, like real music.”
eek.gif

Intrigued, I randomly switched back and forth between the UR3 and X-1. She called her preference as X-1 every time. To throw a loop in, I tossed a balanced UR5 in the mix; she felt it was very similar to the sound she liked less (i.e., the UR3). She has outstanding hearing and is always telling me to “turn it down,” but she has no interest in audio gear, just the sound of good music. This single-blind spouse test had me thinking I may not be crazy after all, this cable really is that much more musical, more natural-sounding.

OK, OK, the X-2:

The X-1 is an amazing cable, and for $199 it is simply a no-brainer. It would be a no-brainer for $1299 as far as I'm concerned. I was going to be perfectly happy buying one and calling it a day; I probably could live with this cable forever. It is really that good (again, listen yourselves
wink.gif
).

But then I heard the X-2, Ori’s latest invention. Again, he won’t say what’s in it (except that it’s not silver), but he will say that it takes him a nearly a whole day to make one and that it is a different design entirely from the X-1. Who cares? This thing takes everything the X-1 does…and does it even better!

There is no radical change in the “signature” of the sound; it is simply that everything I considered a hallmark of the X-1’s great sound (upper harmonic detail, coherency, extension, musical flow, etc.) is done even better. Even deeper soundstage, more extension on both ends, even more impactful/controlled bass…a/b’ing X-1 to X-2 is like going from bliss to plain nirvana. The X-2 is the end of the road for me; I bought one and that’s that. Done.

I’ve blathered on too long, I’m sorry.

I listened to the balanced X-1B as well; briefly, this comes very close in sound to the X-2 single-ended (may partly be due to the superiority of the balanced outs on my DAC1 and true balanced circuit on my Pathos amp). This cable is probably the best bargain of the bunch if your rig does balanced.

I’ll save a review of the S-1 cables for another time…

Conclusions:

I’ve never been so moved to write such a ridiculously long commentary on anything audio before. I just feel that y’all should listen to these cables and judge for yourselves. The X-1 is simply that good. That musical. And the X-2 simply takes what the X-1 does really well and does it that much better. Enough "that’s" for ya? Audition these cables STAT!

Nov 30, 2005 at 9:58 AM Post #2 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by zdogg
It’s rare that a piece of gear, particularly something like a “simple” interconnect, so improves the musicality of my system that I feel obliged to blather in detail about it.

I’ve never been so moved to write such a ridiculously long commentary on anything audio before.

Tell me about it!
smily_headphones1.gif

I never put more than a few moment's effort into describing positively any gear before. Then the X-1 came along, and well a-blathering I went.
It is understandable though.

I'd heard a small bunch of well regarded or even raved about cables, Nordost Red Dawn, Grover Ulitimate Reference, Audience Au24; a bunch of tough as nails bikers gathered at the bar playing pool when in walks the Oritek X-1 saying " I need your clothes, your boots, and your motorcycle."
600smile.gif

EDIT: Oh yes, very well written review BTW.

I thought Quote:

When I plugged the X-1 into the chain, again, it was like a choke was taken off. Music just flowed better.

to be an accurate description. "a choke was taken off" Totally agree!

Hmmm...$449 for 0.6 meter X-2, that's within reach of even a presently budget challenged bloke like myself.
cool.gif

Nov 30, 2005 at 1:06 PM Post #3 of 53
Thanks for a great review! I agree with everything you said and I want the X-2 even more now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
Tell me about it!
smily_headphones1.gif

I never put more than a few moment's effort into describing positively any gear before. Then the X-1 came along, and well a-blathering I went.
It is understandable though.

If I had something vaguely interesting to compare the X-1 to I would indeed have done the same. The relatively cheap AudioQuest cables I used to have are now so far out of the picture I don't even know where they are anymore. The X-1 simply opened up everything and I'm afraid I'm turning into a spoiled guy comparing anything to them (and it's well deserved I may add!).

Quote:

I thought to be an accurate description. "a choke was taken off" Totally agree!

I have to agree here too, there was never any doubt about that "choke".

Quote:

Hmmm...$449 for 0.6 meter X-2, that's within reach of even a presently budget challenged bloke like myself.
cool.gif

I want the X-2 so bad. This hobby is killing me, argh!

Nov 30, 2005 at 3:09 PM Post #4 of 53
Eyeteeth, I read your extremely poetic "blathering" after I heard the X-1/X-2 and thought that maybe I wasn't simply going crazy...thanks for describing your experience and giving the rest of us the courage to come out of the closet (so to speak
biggrin.gif
). Your excellent biker bar analogy reminds me strangely of that scene from Pee Wee's Big Adventure...oh man, I'm getting old
tongue.gif

Inter, if the X-1 lets off the choke, the X-2 widens the pathway itself so even more music can flow. But listen, IMHO if you were never to upgrade your cables further from X-1 I think you'd be just fine...in fact your system will benefit from other component upgrades because I think you'll hear them that much better.

Nov 30, 2005 at 5:56 PM Post #5 of 53
Quote:

Inter, if the X-1 lets off the choke, the X-2 widens the pathway itself so even more music can flow. But listen, IMHO if you were never to upgrade your cables further from X-1 I think you'd be just fine...in fact your system will benefit from other component upgrades because I think you'll hear them that much better.

Not to derail, but you got any suggestions? My wish list shouldn't grow too much more as it's expensive enough just to look at it.
tongue.gif

Nov 30, 2005 at 11:06 PM Post #6 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inter
you got any suggestions? My wish list shouldn't grow too much more as it's expensive enough just to look at it.
tongue.gif

Gosh...like getting cash? Well thinking in terms of future trends and employment, we're moving away from red meat diets so there could be a bright future in being a Chicken Sexer.

Quote:

Eyeteeth, I read your extremely poetic "blathering" after I heard the X-1/X-2 and thought that maybe I wasn't simply going crazy...thanks for describing your experience and giving the rest of us the courage to come out of the closet (so to speak
biggrin.gif
). Your excellent biker bar analogy reminds me strangely of that scene from Pee Wee's Big Adventure...oh man, I'm getting old
tongue.gif

Had I been one who even once climbed atop the podium to announce the virtues of a particular wire, I'd probably have not put out too much effort for the Oritek. But as one who had a track record of being unimpressed, and due to disappointment, a little dismissive of cables, I thought maybe I was obligated to point out that the event had taken place for me.

Although I had Awnold in mind, Pee-Wee's technique has been shown to be very effective against bikers!

11a.gif
1a.gif

Nov 30, 2005 at 11:18 PM Post #7 of 53
Prices on longer cables?? 1.5/2.0 meters?

Nov 30, 2005 at 11:19 PM Post #8 of 53
Pictures of the balanced cables? (are they flexable) Website??

Dec 1, 2005 at 3:35 AM Post #9 of 53
I'll try to round up some pictures. In the meantime, any questions about pricing are probably best asked of Ori himself at oritekaudio@ispwest.com.
His website is here. It's outdated and not nearly as helpful as emailing directly though; he seems to spend too much time making cables and amps and stuff and not enough time juicing up the website
biggrin.gif
. Regarding flexibility of the balanced X-1's, my experience is that they are nearly as flexible as the regular X-1s (which is quite flexible).

Dec 1, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #10 of 53
Quote:

Although I had Awnold in mind, Pee-Wee's technique has been shown to be very effective against bikers!

11a.gif
1a.gif

"I'm TRYING to use the PHONE!"
tongue.gif

Nice Eyeteeth, very nice...

Dec 1, 2005 at 4:46 AM Post #11 of 53
Quote:

Ask Ori what he uses to make his cables, and he answers “Who cares? Does it sound good?”

According to the website: "Thin solid copper with Teflon insulation widely-spaced wires"

I was curious and had to find out for myself
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2005 at 8:46 PM Post #12 of 53
I'm curious if anyone has tried using the X-1s as the only interconnect in a speaker system. I found this post to be quite intriguing: http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=cables&m=108765

and am awaiting a second pair (arriving thursday or friday) to form my own opinions.

Dec 6, 2005 at 9:42 PM Post #13 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gopher
I'm curious if anyone has tried using the X-1s as the only interconnect in a speaker system. I found this post to be quite intriguing: http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=cables&m=108765

I have an integrated amp, so there's only one interconnect I use in my system (source to amp). Initially I used the X-1 for a week or so, and it sounded great. Then I moved to the X-2 and it sounds fantastic.

When I auditioned cables in Ori's system, we used an interconnect from preamp to amp and from source to preamp. The results to my ear: all X-1, X-1 + X-2, or all X-2 were the best configurations. Any time another cable was introduced into the chain, there was a significant collapse of the positive sonic attributes I heard with the pure Oritek setup. Not sure why, it's just what I heard in this context, YMMV.

Dec 7, 2005 at 7:22 AM Post #14 of 53
Quote:

Any time another cable was introduced into the chain, there was a significant collapse of the positive sonic attributes I heard with the pure Oritek setup.

That's really no mystery.
confused.gif
The other cables were simply inferior...
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 7, 2005 at 2:36 PM Post #15 of 53
Ori,

I have a pair (soon to be two) of your X-1s and agree that they are very nice interconnects. I just found it quite interesting the way this individual commented. Saying essentially that a single pair in his system sounded very average and that it wasn't until both were installed that they really shined. I am of the impression one interconnect alone is pretty special and was sort of wondering how others felt about the 'cumulative' effect.

I know with some cables I've expereinced (i.e. Acoustic Zen) things tended to sound best when they were the only cables in my rig and I wondered if anyone else had reported similiar findings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back