Review: Oritek X-1 and X-2 Interconnects
Dec 7, 2005 at 7:12 PM Post #16 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gopher
I know with some cables I've expereinced (i.e. Acoustic Zen) things tended to sound best when they were the only cables in my rig

There was one post that claimed the same about the X-1, but my theory (I heard his system) is that the cables he picked were complementing each other rather than being neutral on their own, so introducing pretty much any other cables in that audio chain would have caused anomalies to the frequency response.

Dec 7, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #17 of 53
For the sake of never ending search for the ultimate sound (for reasonable price) I will soon be sending my X1s off for deep cryo treatment.

I am hoping this will give a slight added body/richness to X1 sound and make then even more refined.......deep cryo treatment has worked well with all my Grover UR cables.

Dec 7, 2005 at 9:48 PM Post #18 of 53
Quote:

For the sake of never ending search for the ultimate sound (for reasonable price) I will soon be sending my X1s off for deep cryo treatment.

Why don't you send the Wolff's also. I would be interested to know what your opinion of the changes which might be gained or lost.

Dec 7, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #19 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelhwolff
Why don't you send the Wolff's also. I would be interested to know what your opinion of the changes which might be gained or lost.

I have considered deep cryo with your Gold/Silver cable also but I am a little hesitant because the cryo process is permanent change and if I decide I like it better before I am out a larger sum of money
frown.gif

(the effect on Grover ICs has been all positive, and I am pretty sure the same would apply to your Gold/Silver)

I assume the carbon used in your cable will not be adversely effected by cryo process but this is unknown risk for me also........

Mike why don't you do it first with spare/used pair of Gold/Silver and give us your impressions, only $15 a pair to process

http://www.metal-wear.com/electronics_$_stereos.htm

Dec 7, 2005 at 10:54 PM Post #20 of 53
The carbon is not affected by the cryo process, that has already been established and confirmed.
I should send something out, although I do have some opinions on cryo, but someday I need to get over that hump and try the process. My one and only experience with cryo was very negative. Since there are so many cryo houses out there and possible ways of doing the cryo, I have no idea as to which is the correct method. All the houses claim that there process is the correct method. I keep hoping that one of my customers will cryo something of mine and then give me their opinon.

Dec 7, 2005 at 10:54 PM Post #21 of 53
The carbon is not affected by the cryo process, that has already been established and confirmed.
I should send something out, although I do have some opinions on cryo, but someday I need to get over that hump and try the process. My one and only experience with cryo was very negative. Since there are so many cryo houses out there and possible ways of doing the cryo, I have no idea as to which is the correct method. All the houses claim that there process is the correct method. I keep hoping that one of my customers will cryo something of mine and then give me their opinon.

Dec 7, 2005 at 11:06 PM Post #22 of 53
Cryoed Wolffs?? I just wish I could swing a second set! Don't think I'd have the nerve to do something so irreversible at that price point either.

DA...I think you had a great suggestion. Michael needs to do it to his demo set....for the good of the board that is! Who better to speak of what changes we can expect than the man who made 'em?

Hey Michael....when's your xmas sale???
tongue.gif

Dec 8, 2005 at 12:41 AM Post #23 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by zdogg
I have an integrated amp, so there's only one interconnect I use in my system (source to amp). Initially I used the X-1 for a week or so, and it sounded great. Then I moved to the X-2 and it sounds fantastic.

I also have an integrated (Belles 250i), and the X-1 made a very nice improvement since it was the only IC in the chain. Ori had recommended I get the X-2 before the S-1 speaker cable, but I tried that first anyways. And indeed, it was more of the same with the X-1.

I have the X-2 on order now, can't wait to get it and play it in the system!

The gent on Audio Asylum wrote this:

"I highly recommend that people give these a try and when you do, listen for the harmonics of the notes - listen to how they start from nowhere and bloom naturally + float in the air until they finally decay and fade back into blackness - naturally. Its quite amazing and addictive to hear that much more of the music and without the tonal shifting caused by other cables"

This was one of the more amazing things I found wiht the Oritek. NO other cable I had reporduced certain dynamics and decay like this does. There's some cymbal work on Sarah Mclachlan's "Freedom Sessions" CD that, when playing through the X-1, decayed longer, with more realism and clarity, than anything else I had in my system.

I now have the Grover UR6, and am buring it in. I want to compare that to the X-1. The UR2's I have, and the UR4 I had to hear, were clearly bettered by the X-1. I'm looking forward to my own comparison of the X-1's to the 6's in my system.

Wish I could afford the Wolff C/G as well! I did have a couple Wolff power cords, they are excellent, especially the Source Silver.Carbon I had.

Dec 8, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #24 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by skullguise

The gent on Audio Asylum wrote this:

"I highly recommend that people give these a try and when you do, listen for the harmonics of the notes - listen to how they start from nowhere and bloom naturally + float in the air until they finally decay and fade back into blackness - naturally. Its quite amazing and addictive to hear that much more of the music and without the tonal shifting caused by other cables"

This was one of the more amazing things I found wiht the Oritek. NO other cable I had reporduced certain dynamics and decay like this does. There's some cymbal work on Sarah Mclachlan's "Freedom Sessions" CD that, when playing through the X-1, decayed longer, with more realism and clarity, than anything else I had in my system.

I agree 100% with this. It's this enhancement of harmonic content and microdynamics that seems the most striking improvement on comparisons with other cables I've heard. For me personally, it's very hard to listen to my rig without the Oriteks in it now that I've heard this phenomenon. Luckily I don't have to torture myself by doing that
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #25 of 53
Quote:

Hey Michael....when's your xmas sale???

Ken,
Now I know I sent out e-mails to each and every one of my current customers about a special discount just for them between now and the Show.

You are right, I really should be the one to do the cryo experiment. You would need two sets of IC's to do any comparisons anyway. Just as a side note. The majority of large makers of cables,,,, Nordost, Transparent, not sure about Kimber, do not cryo that I know of.
One big big issue about cryoing my cables is that normally I build them after they are ordered. Which means the customer has to wait for them to come back from cryo and then a break in period.

Well maybe during the show I can meet with some of the cryo people. So far I have not heard an A-B comparison of anything that has been cryoed.

Dec 8, 2005 at 1:01 PM Post #26 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelhwolff
Ken,
Now I know I sent out e-mails to each and every one of my current customers about a special discount just for them between now and the Show.

You are right, I really should be the one to do the cryo experiment. You would need two sets of IC's to do any comparisons anyway. Just as a side note. The majority of large makers of cables,,,, Nordost, Transparent, not sure about Kimber, do not cryo that I know of.
One big big issue about cryoing my cables is that normally I build them after they are ordered. Which means the customer has to wait for them to come back from cryo and then a break in period.

Well maybe during the show I can meet with some of the cryo people. So far I have not heard an A-B comparison of anything that has been cryoed.

The only problem with you doing the Cryo and comparing yourself is due to the site rules you can't post your finding here. Maybe if you do a comparison yourself you could send the pair to DarkAngel for a comparison review? That way the results can be posted here, you get to hear the results yourself and DA can then know whether he wants to cryo his own, everyones happy and world is a better place.
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2005 at 4:21 PM Post #27 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
The only problem with you doing the Cryo and comparing yourself is due to the site rules you can't post your finding here. Maybe if you do a comparison yourself you could send the pair to DarkAngel for a comparison review? That way the results can be posted here, you get to hear the results yourself and DA can then know whether he wants to cryo his own, everyones happy and world is a better place.
biggrin.gif

One of the things that keeps tripping up the process of gathering credible information is the wildly different abilities of the reporters. Anyone can write at length with the audiophile jargon dictionary in their hand and how could you know they're actually half deaf? That they may have been in possession of two dozen cables over many years doesn't mean much even if they have good ears but poor written skills. I don't have a proposal on how to deal with that in a free speech internet other than to be more questioning. Of course it can get you into hot water.
tongue.gif

I demonstrated how cross referencing someone's music forum posts can reveal a lack of ability that isn't apparent in their cable description. And they're still steamed at me for outing them. In hindsight I think that sort of insight into another writer should be kept to one's self in order to spare their feelings.

For the record I don't think I have such great ears; it's only fairly obvious differences that I feel secure in speaking of. And the whole psychoacoustic things runs rampant throughout the proceedings. You need to be part forensic detective part psychologist to figure out who is worth paying attention to. I go back over things a multiple of times over several days to verify that I'm not being mistaken.

Anyway I'm going to follow my own advice and read and question more than write and question, it's less time consuming and I get to laugh guilty-free not hurting people's feelings.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 8, 2005 at 5:14 PM Post #28 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
One of the things that keeps tripping up the process of gathering credible information is the wildly different abilities of the reporters. Anyone can write at length with the audiophile jargon dictionary in their hand and how could you know they're actually half deaf? That they may have been in possession of two dozen cables over many years doesn't mean much even if they have good ears but poor written skills. I don't have a proposal on how to deal with that in a free speech internet other than to be more questioning. Of course it can get you into hot water.
tongue.gif

I demonstrated how cross referencing someone's music forum posts can reveal a lack of ability that isn't apparent in their cable description. And they're still steamed at me for outing them. In hindsight I think that sort of insight into another writer should be kept to one's self in order to spare their feelings.

For the record I don't think I have such great ears; it's only fairly obvious differences that I feel secure in speaking of. And the whole psychoacoustic things runs rampant throughout the proceedings. You need to be part forensic detective part psychologist to figure out who is worth paying attention to. I go back over things a multiple of times over several days to verify that I'm not being mistaken.

Anyway I'm going to follow my own advice and read and question more than write and question, it's less time consuming and I get to laugh guilty-free not hurting people's feelings.
smily_headphones1.gif

And how about the fact that everybody has a different system and are listening to different recordings, and on top of it , don't even know what the recording engineer had in mind ( did he add a 3db boost to the bass?) and how that recording was supposed to sound like.

Dec 8, 2005 at 6:10 PM Post #29 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by gurus
And how about the fact that everybody has a different system and are listening to different recordings, and on top of it , don't even know what the recording engineer had in mind ( did he add a 3db boost to the bass?) and how that recording was supposed to sound like.

And how about the specifics of person 'A' declaring that that new remaster of group 'b' is fantastic when it's quite obviously wretched in the opinion of 25 out of 30 people. Sometimes someone is just plain wrong. It happens. I take a spoonful of salt with even my own opinion on mercurial things like audio. I have different opinions on the same CD on different days such are the error strewn ways of human judgement.

*yawn*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back