Review of Hidizs AP100 portable HiFi music player
Oct 4, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #736 of 1,215

Not a DAP but Meizu M1 Note wipes the floor with AP100 when paired with Topping NX1. Please see my signature. 
wink.gif

I'm intrigued to know more, but you kinda stop short.

It's quite a claim because my own experience with any device running android is that whilst the hiss can be very low, the volume has never ever reached the levels I have required from my IEMs.
I have had to (in past) alter the mixer_path file values (via rooting) to take the volume cap off, once done it improves significantly, but rooting can be a pain and plagued with bugs.

I got the chance to demo the Hum Pervasion DAP (which runs android), and that was a far better experience, but trialing through poweramp I was still left feeling somewhat underwhelmed (despite being more than capable of producing ample volume).

I find your claim hard to swallow.

I have a/b tested the AP100 vs quite a few other DAPs, the inclusion of the SRC button and hardware EQ allows for a wide range of sounding signatures and soundstage, I doubt anyone can't find their own sweetspot with the AP100, I'm just not sure Android is as versatile in sound (tho I am happy to be proved wrong).

I guess it's not that yer saying the M1 is better, yer saying it 'wipes the floor' which I find really hard to believe. Imo, once you get to this kinda level of sound quality, it's not that the next equivilent thing is better or worse but rather just different. Sound Quality is in the ear of the beholder.

Oct 4, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #737 of 1,215

I didn't know there was a newer version of the AP100. How do you know if you're buying the new version or the old one? Anywhere I've looked online they don't specify whether it's old or new or call it 2nd generation etc. I'm looking at the one on Amazon.com because the price is so good. I might also buy it from Shenzhenaudio becausethe price is similar.

Oct 4, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #738 of 1,215

I'm intrigued to know more, but you kinda stop short.

It's quite a claim because my own experience with any device running android is that whilst the hiss can be very low, the volume has never ever reached the levels I have required from my IEMs.
I have had to (in past) alter the mixer_path file values (via rooting) to take the volume cap off, once done it improves significantly, but rooting can be a pain and plagued with bugs.

I got the chance to demo the Hum Pervasion DAP (which runs android), and that was a far better experience, but trialing through poweramp I was still left feeling somewhat underwhelmed (despite being more than capable of producing ample volume).

I find your claim hard to swallow.

I have a/b tested the AP100 vs quite a few other DAPs, the inclusion of the SRC button and hardware EQ allows for a wide range of sounding signatures and soundstage, I doubt anyone can't find their own sweetspot with the AP100, I'm just not sure Android is as versatile in sound (tho I am happy to be proved wrong).

I guess it's not that yer saying the M1 is better, yer saying it 'wipes the floor' which I find really hard to believe. Imo, once you get to this kinda level of sound quality, it's not that the next equivilent thing is better or worse but rather just different. Sound Quality is in the ear of the beholder.

Let's continue then. As you can see in my signature I have several DAPs and owned some of the popular ones such as Fiio X3, ihifi 760, Sony M10, Colorfly C3,  Clip , Cube C30, Teclast X30 and tested many more. While Meizu M1 Note is not powerful as Ap100 as you can expect, it has more cleaner audio output than Ap100. 

Difference is so big that you cannot miss. Today my friend auditioned my m1 note + topping nx1 +Re0 setup and his reaction was the same as mine. He said it sounded clearer,  detailed and found the soundstage bigger and deeper. He also said the vocals are more natural on M1 Note. It may be hard to believe but I could be able to hear some details I was missing with Ap100. 

Yes this setup is so good that I don't find any need to use Ap100 anymore. Also I use my CKR9LTD without NX1 since they don't need an amp and can be very loud with M1 Note. 

Hope this helps :) 

Cheers. 

Oct 5, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #739 of 1,215

Let's continue then. As you can see in my signature I have several DAPs and owned some of the popular ones such as Fiio X3, ihifi 760, Sony M10, Colorfly C3,  Clip , Cube C30, Teclast X30 and tested many more. While Meizu M1 Note is not powerful as Ap100 as you can expect, it has more cleaner audio output than Ap100. 

Difference is so big that you cannot miss. Today my friend auditioned my m1 note + topping nx1 +Re0 setup and his reaction was the same as mine. He said it sounded clearer,  detailed and found the soundstage bigger and deeper. He also said the vocals are more natural on M1 Note. It may be hard to believe but I could be able to hear some details I was missing with Ap100. 

Yes this setup is so good that I don't find any need to use Ap100 anymore. Also I use my CKR9LTD without NX1 since they don't need an amp and can be very loud with M1 Note. 

Hope this helps :) 

Cheers. 

Yes that helps heaps. I was not aware the NX1 was an amp, so that solves power issues somewhat, and I can also agree with clean signals and whatnot coming from smartphones, some are very clean indeed. How much is it the amp tho and how much the NX1? Can you not succeed in a similar sound with the NX1 being paired with yer clip etc?

Perhaps the price of a M1+topping NX1 tho is quite a lot more ($) than a AP100 alone? Tho as u said with the right IEM you can get a lot more volume/bang for yer buck when unamping.

FWIW, as the review said, I own a Alien Shozy also. Perhaps many users of the Shozy might say it surpasses the AP100 in SQ, whereas for me it wasn't like that, I just hear differences, and depends what you like to hear.

For instance, you say that the M1 Note picks up details that the AP100 misses. I find the same thing can occur with my 2.1 Edifier speaker setup in my kitchen vs say my portable audio rig or other stereo etc. Just because the 2.1 Edifier speakers pick up these details doesn't actually mean it catapults it to the front in terms of SQ, because for me those details that come through mean the expense of some other artifact elsewhere.
Playing something like Faith No More's 'The Gentle Art of Making Enemies' track benefits (imo) from a slight more bass boost, but in doing so the little things are drowned out, but overall I like what I hear more doing this... for that track, and so on so forth. It becomes a case by case scenario for me, which is why I like the AP100 so much because I can toggle easily and quickly between pushing on a more aggressive forward hitting sound to going back to details on other tracks that suit that.

Oct 5, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #740 of 1,215

Yes that helps heaps. I was not aware the NX1 was an amp, so that solves power issues somewhat, and I can also agree with clean signals and whatnot coming from smartphones, some are very clean indeed. How much is it the amp tho and how much the NX1? Can you not succeed in a similar sound with the NX1 being paired with yer clip etc?

Perhaps the price of a M1+topping NX1 tho is quite a lot more ($) than a AP100 alone? Tho as u said with the right IEM you can get a lot more volume/bang for yer buck when unamping.

FWIW, as the review said, I own a Alien Shozy also. Perhaps many users of the Shozy might say it surpasses the AP100 in SQ, whereas for me it wasn't like that, I just hear differences, and depends what you like to hear.

For instance, you say that the M1 Note picks up details that the AP100 misses. I find the same thing can occur with my 2.1 Edifier speaker setup in my kitchen vs say my portable audio rig or other stereo etc. Just because the 2.1 Edifier speakers pick up these details doesn't actually mean it catapults it to the front in terms of SQ, because for me those details that come through mean the expense of some other artifact elsewhere.
Playing something like Faith No More's 'The Gentle Art of Making Enemies' track benefits (imo) from a slight more bass boost, but in doing so the little things are drowned out, but overall I like what I hear more doing this... for that track, and so on so forth. It becomes a case by case scenario for me, which is why I like the AP100 so much because I can toggle easily and quickly between pushing on a more aggressive forward hitting sound to going back to details on other tracks that suit that.

I'm saying that M1 Note is like listening to some hi-fi system where AP100 just sounds like a mid-fi system.There is an audible difference between them and you must be deaf if you cannot hear it. Btw my above findings apply to RE0 and Topping NX1 + Meizu M1 Note pairing. And there is no hiss or cracking sound through this setup or not as much as AP100 I should say.

Oct 5, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #741 of 1,215

I'm saying that M1 Note is like listening to some hi-fi system where AP100 just sounds like a mid-fi system.There is an audible difference between them and you must be deaf if you cannot hear it. Btw my above findings apply to RE0 and Topping NX1 + Meizu M1 Note pairing. And there is no hiss or cracking sound through this setup or not as much as AP100 I should say.

Cool, would love to hear :)

Would u say then that it is a really great synergy with those 3 items? Are the results quite different with say different IEMs or losing the amp component etc?

Oct 5, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #745 of 1,215

It's good for sure. And great decision. Congrats.

Thanks. I'm happy about it...looks like a very nice DAP and goodbye scroll wheel!
smile_phones.gif
  I guess I'll place an ad on ebay..I've never sold anything through the buy and sell forum on here. I can't imagine people just sending me money and trusting I will send them what I'm selling even if they pay with PayPal...there must be more to that...I'll have to look into it further.

Oct 6, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #747 of 1,215
Oct 6, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #750 of 1,215
  Can anyone tell me when this post on Facebook was from? https://www.facebook.com/hidizs/posts/421224218055767

I'm one of the few people in the world that doesn't have a facebook account...I was only looking to see if they made a silicone case for the AP100..

Bruce, I do not have a facebook account either! perhaps try the one that comes free with the AP100, it is a little quirky but quite effective.

Do let us know what you think both good and bad, when you try it out for a few days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back