Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Oct 12, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #2,944 of 3,060
I will go for AK100ii + im03 + AT-HDC5 if my budget allow, with dx80 you have to consider an unique output impedance thought (<0.1ohm),

it maybe can make treble on im03 sound too bright for some, but with im04 they sound so open and most perfect match if you ask me,

so take it in consideration.

Don't have experience with ak jr sorry about that, but ak100ii is much better dac for sure.

the most unforgotten is that im-series really need upgrade cable like AT-HDC5 to shine, is day and night difference if you ask me.

ps. I think my post only made you confused much more hahaha.

Oct 12, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #2,945 of 3,060
I've tested the IM03 on the FiiO X5 Classic, X7, Cayin N5, Shanling M2, and the AK120II. It sounds wonderful on all of them.

The only DAP I didn't like with the IM03 is the FiiO X3ii. To this day I don't know why it sounded so bad.

Oct 12, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #2,946 of 3,060
I've tested the IM03 on the FiiO X5 Classic, X7, Cayin N5, Shanling M2, and the AK120II. It sounds wonderful on all of them.

The only DAP I didn't like with the IM03 is the FiiO X3ii. To this day I don't know why it sounded so bad.

Thank you guys for your comments...
I am really confused which way to go. I can have them for really good price (249 Euro), but still I am not shure with which DAP to pair them.
I have 600 Euro +- 100 Euro for complete setup, thats the reason why I am deciding between dx80 or AK Jr., really hard for me, cause I dont have the possibility to listen to none of these combos... Aach jaj...

Oct 12, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #2,947 of 3,060
Like I said before. Just go with the one that has the features you care most about. Don't worry about the sound. They will both sound great.

Oct 12, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #2,948 of 3,060
Like I said before. Just go with the one that has the features you care most about. Don't worry about the sound. They will both sound great.

Thank you very much. I will propably go with AK jr., I dont need a lot of features, just plug in the headphones and listen to music. Thats all.
I think AK Jr. for 279 Euros is worth it + nice slim decent design and I dont need to storage too many files in it (+ 64GB internal memory is bonus :D). DX80 + SD card would cost me +-380 Euro, thats 100 more.
I will post my impressions later.
Thanks again. :)

Oct 13, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #2,950 of 3,060
I am DYING to hear the im04. From what I've read, it seems it's an earphone that you either love it or you hate it. Lots of folks say it's too dark or very dark sounding, seems like that signature turns most people away, but it just intrigues me even more. I've always preferred slightly darker signatures and after owning the im01 and enjoying it, as well as being a fan of audio technica, the im04 still sits atop the short list of gotta haves:)

Oct 13, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #2,951 of 3,060
I am DYING to hear the im04. From what I've read, it seems it's an earphone that you either love it or you hate it. Lots of folks say it's too dark or very dark sounding, seems like that signature turns most people away, but it just intrigues me even more. I've always preferred slightly darker signatures and after owning the im01 and enjoying it, as well as being a fan of audio technica, the im04 still sits atop the short list of gotta haves:)

It really depends on the song and the pairing. For instance, when I listened to Amy Winehouse - Back To Black, using the X5 Classic, it was suffocating. A warm, dark album on a warm, dark DAP, on warm, dark earphones... ugh!

I like my equipment on the warm side, also. But there is such a thing as too warm.

Now, on some other music, of a brighter, more balanced nature, the X5>IM04 was lush and inviting, and I had second thoughts about returning it.

In the end, though, the IM03 is far more to my tastes. It has a great sense of warmth, but, unlike the IM04, also possesses tremendous air and breath, so no matter what music you listen to, it never gets DARK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back