Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Dec 4, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #2,974 of 3,060
If anybody is intersted in buying my im03, its up for sale!

Dec 11, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #2,975 of 3,060
Hi earfonia, excellent and in-depth review. I have also read your review on DN-2000j. I like to know if the DN-2000j is an upgrade in terms of quality from IM03? I'm kind of treble-head, who listens to mainly orchestra, classical, and high pitch Japanese singer.

It will be greatly appreciated if others who have both IEM can chip in too.

Feb 2, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #2,977 of 3,060
While listening to my IM02's, my main beef is that I get a TON of noise transmitted through the headphone cables to my ears  from my clothes, beard, what have you. (microphonics i believe?)  I've been reading through a lot of this thread lately, with an eye towards replacing the stock cables with a less annoying alternative.  I haven't read really any reviews of cables that specifically talk about this issue.  So for you all who have aftermarket/custom/DIY/etc. cables, could you comment on their ability to be less noisy?  I don't necessarily care about improving the sound per se, mostly about removing the sounds that I'm hearing instead of my music.  Thanks!

Feb 3, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #2,978 of 3,060
Any one here that have any impression on the IM-02 with Tube amps? Tube amps generally have a higher output impedance, but how does that affect the sound? does it sound warmer due to the tubes? or less warm due to the higher output impedance?

Feb 3, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #2,979 of 3,060

I do have a HDC5 cable. it does reduce microphonics for me in comparison but it may or may not apply to you. I feel that is reduce microphonics for the following reason the cable is slightly heavier (so it stay in place more) and mainly it is softer/ more flexible (usually hard cable stays in shape, does not conform to the body shape and swing around more when moving).

Feb 4, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #2,980 of 3,060
  I do have a HDC5 cable. it does reduce microphonics for me in comparison but it may or may not apply to you. I feel that is reduce microphonics for the following reason the cable is slightly heavier (so it stay in place more) and mainly it is softer/ more flexible (usually hard cable stays in shape, does not conform to the body shape and swing around more when moving).

Thats good to know.  I'm not sure if it will help in my case.  For me with the stock cable, having pretty much any rubbing or motion makes quite loud sounds.  I'm not sure if this is due to how it fits in my ears, or if I'm just more sensitive.  Fore example, if I've got no music playing and I'm in a quiet room, I can hear my heartbeat in the phones.

Feb 4, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #2,981 of 3,060
  Thats good to know.  I'm not sure if it will help in my case.  For me with the stock cable, having pretty much any rubbing or motion makes quite loud sounds.  I'm not sure if this is due to how it fits in my ears, or if I'm just more sensitive.  Fore example, if I've got no music playing and I'm in a quiet room, I can hear my heartbeat in the phones.

Have you also check the possibility if the pulse could be from your ear and transmitted via the shell or the eartips of your IEM which is easier then it being transmitted via the cables. I sometimes feel (not by hearing) my pulse when i wear earplugs (soundproofing earplugs not IEMs) very deeply. Or you could just have very very good hearing. 

Feb 5, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #2,982 of 3,060
  Have you also check the possibility if the pulse could be from your ear and transmitted via the shell or the eartips of your IEM which is easier then it being transmitted via the cables. I sometimes feel (not by hearing) my pulse when i wear earplugs (soundproofing earplugs not IEMs) very deeply. Or you could just have very very good hearing. 

Oh! Sorry, I wasn't clear.  I meant to say that I hear my pulse through the eartips fitting really snugly not through the cable.  That would be a bit freaky!  I'm glad my hearing isn't THAT sensitive.  The point that I was trying to make was that I'm not sure if having snug eartips has an effect on how loud the microphonics are. 

Feb 5, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #2,983 of 3,060
  Oh! Sorry, I wasn't clear.  I meant to say that I hear my pulse through the eartips fitting really snugly not through the cable.  That would be a bit freaky!  I'm glad my hearing isn't THAT sensitive.  The point that I was trying to make was that I'm not sure if having snug eartips has an effect on how loud the microphonics are. 

Maybe this video could help you (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnmwllxh_Xg) was also tempted in trying but never went ahead.

Feb 23, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #2,984 of 3,060
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could comment on the ath-im04. I have seen conflicting reviews about the detailing and microdetailing of the ath-im04. Could anyone comment on the level of detail they have. Also as an owner of the ath-im02 would there be a big upgrade, thanks.

Feb 23, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #2,985 of 3,060
  Hi, I was wondering if anyone could comment on the ath-im04. I have seen conflicting reviews about the detailing and microdetailing of the ath-im04. Could anyone comment on the level of detail they have. Also as an owner of the ath-im02 would there be a big upgrade, thanks.

Purchase the ath-e70 and be done with it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back