REVIEW (more to come) - CEntrance DACport 24/96 USB DAC Amp
Aug 18, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #166 of 515

Quote:
"Thanks for your interest in our products. The most recent iOS from Apple does not require a firmware update. So, the DACport LX will work right out of the box with the iPad.

The only other item you will need to connect the DACport LX to your iPad is a "Camera Connection Kit". This allows a "regular" USB device to be connected to your iPad."

Maybe it applies to only LX which doesn't have amp section in it? What he meant by firmware update is iPad firmware for DACPort, which I asked about.

Quote:
Well cool!

I have a DACPort, I'm pretty positive there's no way for that to work with a powered bus because it's class A.  I wonder if Apple allowed the current back up to 100mA?  Maybe a few Head-Fi'ers at Apple?  

I have an iPad 2 with iOS 4.3.3 and when I plug in the standard DACport the iPad tells me it uses too much power.  Maybe the LX is the exception, since my unamped Pico DAC works fine.

Aug 18, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #167 of 515
The DACPort will always exceed the 100mA, but the LX lacks the amps, which suck the bulk of the power...

My iBasso D12 worked on the camera kit with a Dr. Bott T3 hub, but the D6 didn't, different receiver chip.  So it's clearly VERY sensitive. 

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 18, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #168 of 515
The marketing manager told me that even LX consumes the same power as they both have amp in. Now, I don't know if the dude has a clue, frankly. Now, I'm leaning toward PICO...

Aug 19, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #169 of 515

Quote:
The marketing manager told me that even LX consumes the same power as they both have amp in. Now, I don't know if the dude has a clue, frankly. Now, I'm leaning toward PICO...

All I can tell you is they both get pretty much equally warm.  The LX does sound cleaner and more transparent.  

Aug 19, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #170 of 515

Quote:

Trust them before me.  I'm *assuming* they don't have the amps in the LX, I mean why would they?  Waste of power, space and cost, no benefit, unless they're using those as line-level amps for output.  That's a scary powerful output stage if they are!  LOL.  

I would totally trust them before me, hope I didn't steer you wrong on that one.  

I do know that the second my DACPort connects to the iPad, the dock cuts off. 

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Aug 19, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #172 of 515
Trust them before me.  I'm *assuming* they don't have the amps in the LX, I mean why would they?  Waste of power, space and cost, no benefit, unless they're using those as line-level amps for output.  That's a scary powerful output stage if they are!  LOL.  

I would totally trust them before me, hope I didn't steer you wrong on that one.  

I do know that the second my DACPort connects to the iPad, the dock cuts off. 

Have you tried that special dacport firmware from their website? Does it sound the same if you have tried?

Sep 10, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #173 of 515
Guys,

After reading the whole 12-pages review, since I don't own the DACport and I'd like to buy it, I haven't figured the answer at few of my questions:
-did someone dismantled piece by piece his DACport, in order to see what's inside and which are the components used? (uC, DAC, AMP etc). Some pictures would be greatly received.
-few of you said that they are using the DACport with an iPad, and I've noticed also that there is an update on CEntrance site, in order to modify the firmware for this. Does the same firmware works with iPhone? iPhone is compatible for using it as digital source via USB+iPad camera dock? Did anyone tried this?
-regarding my 2nd question, I've read that the DACport firmware update makes a downgrade of sample rate from 24-bit/96kHz to 48kHz in order to work with the iPad. But, can be switched back to 24-bit/96kHz after, or it's an irreversible update? Also, if I have the iPad version, DACport will it work at maximum performance (24-bit/96kHz) with Mac/PC?

Regards,
Andrei

Sep 10, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #174 of 515
The firmware reduces the max rate to 48kHz, and to go back requires a firmware change. For this reason I use the D12 for the iPad, as i don't like the idea of constant firmware changes, which sounds like a hassle and maybe a reliability issue over time.

Sep 10, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #175 of 515
I'll try iPad firmware one day because I don't like having to use USB hub. I've tried 24/96, and frankly it's not worth the extra space it takes up on my iPad to me. If there no other downgrade in sq, 48kHz ain't too bad for me.

Sep 10, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #176 of 515

Quote:
Guys,

After reading the whole 12-pages review, since I don't own the DACport and I'd like to buy it, I haven't figured the answer at few of my questions:
-did someone dismantled piece by piece his DACport, in order to see what's inside and which are the components used? (uC, DAC, AMP etc). Some pictures would be greatly received.
-few of you said that they are using the DACport with an iPad, and I've noticed also that there is an update on CEntrance site, in order to modify the firmware for this. Does the same firmware works with iPhone? iPhone is compatible for using it as digital source via USB+iPad camera dock? Did anyone tried this?

Nope the iPhone does NOT work with the DACport with or without the firmware update..

-regarding my 2nd question, I've read that the DACport firmware update makes a downgrade of sample rate from 24-bit/96kHz to 48kHz in order to work with the iPad. But, can be switched back to 24-bit/96kHz after, or it's an irreversible update?

Yes you can always switch back to the original firmware using the utility provided by CEntrance.

Also, if I have the iPad version, DACport will it work at maximum performance (24-bit/96kHz) with Mac/PC?

Nope.

Regards,
Andrei

Sep 11, 2011 at 4:54 AM Post #177 of 515
Thank you for the answers, pekingduck!
beerchug.gif

Now, my only question remains only if someone knows what's inside the DACport in terms of hardware. I'm really curious about that.
Maybe someone from CEntrance can provide us few pictures here with the inside built-in of their product. Hope I'm not asking too much...

Sep 11, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #178 of 515

Quote:
Thank you for the answers, pekingduck!
beerchug.gif

Now, my only question remains only if someone knows what's inside the DACport in terms of hardware. I'm really curious about that.
Maybe someone from CEntrance can provide us few pictures here with the inside built-in of their product. Hope I'm not asking too much...

Here I remembered reading that it was a AKM DAC chip as per the following article:

The DAC chip is supplied from Asahi Kasei Microsystems, and, of course, the CEntrance-developed USB/audio interface (also licensed to Lavry engineering, Benchmark and others) delivers a high-performance, low-jitter signal via the USB port with no external drivers needed.

The DACport quickly becomes a high-quality audio companion for your computer — an indispensable tool for your music to be played back in full fidelity on the road or on the desktop.

The CEntrance DacPort contains a multi-stage power supply that steps up the 5V DC USB bus power to provide enough zip to power headphones in Class A, resulting in exemplary performance for such a small DAC/headphone amp

Here you can see the inside of the DACmini with a close-up to the DAC chipset and the AKM4396 is well identified.

That's all I can do because I don't plan opening my DACport (or DACmini) just to see inside. I just know that they both sound amazing to me. That's all I care. Happy Listening 
atsmile.gif

Sep 11, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #179 of 515
Twinster, I think that, because of my curiosity, I will open my DACport at arrival and put some pictures here...
biggrin.gif
 It's fascinating how approx. 200 components are put inside that DAC+AMP body tube... Meanwhile, if someone has the pictures which I'm looking for, I would appreciate him if he could upload them here, not to open my DAC and broke something...
By the way, guys, I'm the happy owner of a CEntrance DACport: I've just bought it from pekingduck and I should have it in Romania in around 2 months, after I will return in my country. Greetings from UK to all of you, for now!
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back