REVIEW (more to come) - CEntrance DACport 24/96 USB DAC Amp
Jun 5, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #151 of 515
For something for me to easily setup with my laptop when I'm at work, I'm impressed! Only had it for about 2 hours, did a quick comparison with my iMod/iQube combo, and its close! In fact I think the Macbook Pro/Amarra/Dacport combo wins in soundstaging and clarity, not as "musical" and the bass lacks some "oompf" in my opinion via the short comparison.

Very happy with the purchase from AVU :)

Man, it does get hot though... does that mean its a battery hog since its converting that much energy into heat? Will prob stick to my iMod for on-the-go listening and not switch to the iPad/Dacport~

I think the DACport does not work the iPad without using a powered USB hub.

Jun 5, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #152 of 515
It is a class A amp so by definition it will use lots more power at idle than class AB setups (typical for most amps).

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 6, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #153 of 515

Quote:
Quote:
For something for me to easily setup with my laptop when I'm at work, I'm impressed! Only had it for about 2 hours, did a quick comparison with my iMod/iQube combo, and its close! In fact I think the Macbook Pro/Amarra/Dacport combo wins in soundstaging and clarity, not as "musical" and the bass lacks some "oompf" in my opinion via the short comparison.

Very happy with the purchase from AVU :)

Man, it does get hot though... does that mean its a battery hog since its converting that much energy into heat? Will prob stick to my iMod for on-the-go listening and not switch to the iPad/Dacport~

I think the DACport does not work the iPad without using a powered USB hub.

I believe I just read that they are in fact compatible w/ iPads now.

Jun 7, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #156 of 515
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jun 7, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #158 of 515
Ah, not willing to go down to 48K on the DACPort when not on the iPad, so I'll stick to the D12 for the iPad and DACPort for the Mac.  Ah well...

Jun 25, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #159 of 515
MINI REVIEW OF CEntrance MODIFIED DACPort with 1ohm Output Impedance

My DACPort appeared to have retired early, so I sent it back for warranty.  CEntrance was very responsive and communicative.  In the end, the unit was diagnosed NPF, and returned to me.  It worked immediately, which is odd because nothing I could do would get power on when I sent it.  However, that's not the interesting part.

While in their hands, I asked for a modification to lower the output impedance.  At 10ohms, it's on the low side of many designs, but I thought reducing to 1ohm might benefit my IEMs, which have lower impedance and a bumpy curve (making them more affected by "bass bloom" (which is a function of amp to device impedance ratios that vary with different frequencies).  It also runs a little cooler to the touch.

I noted the sound changed quite a bit with the IEM (JH16), but interesting also with the T50rps.  On both, the bass became a bit tighter, snappier and less thumpy, delivering a nice sense of depth and extension, without bloat.  My perception is the rest of the spectrum also sounds a little cleaner but warmer, like a thin layer of gauze was removed.  Various instruments are very cleanly delineated, but with a nice sense of integration between the primary tones and he overtones.  

This is all by memory of course.  It could be a dose of powerful placebo, because I can't A/B, but it sound increasingly different to me from my D12 than I remembered.  Definitely less clinical and more tubelike, conveying a nice sense of "rightness" to vocals.  

On Viva Voce's awesome new album The Future Will Destroy You the interplay of the vocal harmonies is accentuated; each voice floats out of an inky background presented in it's own acoustic space, but combining with the others to create a blended and coherent vocal track. 

The DACPort and the T50rp Rastapants is really a giant-killer combo.  My Burson/LCD-2 is really the bomb, but the T50rp is not the same degree of detail and realism, it is shockingly listenable, and in fact probably accounts for 75% of my phone time.

In summary, barring placebo, I have to say the DACPort sounds great for the price, natural, warm, blanced and extended, but the 1ohm modification makes it a better match to low-Z phones, especially when the impedance isn't flat.  The overall sound was more to my preference, and rendered a more balanced and natural sound.  If you ever need to have a unit repaired, or are buying a new one, it may be worth considering this.

Aug 17, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #161 of 515

Quote:
Hmm... I need to look into using this with my iPad.

The iPad only works with self-powered devices that have virtually no current draw.  As the DACPort has only USB power, the only possibility might be to run it through a powered USB hub.  If you try it, let me know if it works and what hub you used...

Aug 17, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #162 of 515
The iPad only works with self-powered devices that have virtually no current draw.  As the DACPort has only USB power, the only possibility might be to run it through a powered USB hub.  If you try it, let me know if it works and what hub you used...

According to their tech support, the latest iPad firmware should work as it is drawing power from iPad. Since I went through 2 DACs already I'm thinking to be more cautious choosing one.

I'm down to this or upcoming iDo for iDevices. I need more research, although I like what I read about dacport so far. Jitter handling matters a lot to me.

Aug 18, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #163 of 515

Quote:
According to their tech support, the latest iPad firmware should work as it is drawing power from iPad. Since I went through 2 DACs already I'm thinking to be more cautious choosing one.

I'm down to this or upcoming iDo for iDevices. I need more research, although I like what I read about dacport so far. Jitter handling matters a lot to me.

Can you rephrase that?  It seems to make no sense.  From what I know the latest firmware reduced the allowed USB drain to 20mA, or something.  Since the DACPort has class A amps it will totally shut the connector off.  

Also, I assume you're talking DACPort firmware, but that can't affect power drain...

Aug 18, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #164 of 515
"Thanks for your interest in our products. The most recent iOS from Apple does not require a firmware update. So, the DACport LX will work right out of the box with the iPad.

The only other item you will need to connect the DACport LX to your iPad is a "Camera Connection Kit". This allows a "regular" USB device to be connected to your iPad."

Maybe it applies to only LX which doesn't have amp section in it? What he meant by firmware update is iPad firmware for DACPort, which I asked about.

Aug 18, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #165 of 515
Well cool!

I have a DACPort, I'm pretty positive there's no way for that to work with a powered bus because it's class A.  I wonder if Apple allowed the current back up to 100mA?  Maybe a few Head-Fi'ers at Apple?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back