[REVIEW] Fostex T50RP, it's been needing a Review
Jul 27, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #31 of 110
Oh wow, I hope we aren't talking about running the T50RP from the Clip+.  Nothing smaller than the E9 was able to bring the bass response out of them.  

Glad the T50RP is bringing you more joy than the T20.  You seemed to be in pain listening to those lol.

Jul 27, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #32 of 110

Quote:
Oh wow, I hope we aren't talking about running the T50RP from the Clip+.  Nothing smaller than the E9 was able to bring the bass response out of them.  

Glad the T50RP is bringing you more joy than the T20.  You seemed to be in pain listening to those lol.

The Clip+ does have a low distort. From my S9 there isn't a problem

Aug 9, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #34 of 110
Totally!
Use OPA602BP in the DAC section for best sound.  =]

Aug 9, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #36 of 110
Quote:
I don't notice any big differences unless you crank a weak amp into clipping or something.

I find the T50RP to behave like a more high impedance headphone. With my Mark V amplifier there was no low impedance hiss and at 20/100 of volume the T50RP sounded very decent yet still a bit unrefined. Mine is still stock but with time I will try to modify a pair. 

Too bad about the high prices in Europe. 

Aug 10, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #37 of 110

Quote:
Quote:
I find the T50RP to behave like a more high impedance headphone. With my Mark V amplifier there was no low impedance hiss and at 20/100 of volume the T50RP sounded very decent yet still a bit unrefined. Mine is still stock but with time I will try to modify a pair. 

Too bad about the high prices in Europe. 

They really are unrefined unmodded.

Mod and then love.

Aug 11, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #38 of 110
In time yes. I bought them out of curiosity but for the U.S. price the T50RP stock does a lot of things right.

Aug 11, 2011 at 6:49 AM Post #39 of 110
Modified they do everything right, I am still completely in awe of these headphones, listening last night to David Bowie was like being transported back to seeing him live again.
The speed, neutrality and detail of these headphones continue to amaze me, I will not even go into the liquid velvet mids and low end register, (wonderful) easily my all time favourite headphone.   

Aug 11, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #40 of 110

Quote:
Modified they do everything right, I am still completely in awe of these headphones, listening last night to David Bowie was like being transported back to seeing him live again.
The speed, neutrality and detail of these headphones continue to amaze me, I will not even go into the liquid velvet mids and low end register, (wonderful) easily my all time favourite headphone.   

It's hard to pin down the comfort, but when you can get everything right on a $75 can, I'ts amazing

Aug 20, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #42 of 110
ACDOAN, I noticed you have K702. How does it compare to the T50 RP? The way the T50 is described, it sounds like it shares a lot in common with the K702. I own K701 and was wondering what more, if anything, I could expect from the T50. Thanks. 

Aug 20, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #43 of 110
T50RP is cleaner, better balanced, and sports much better low bass and midrange than stock K70x.  The AKGs kill T50 in the treble.  If you get into modifications, T50RP improves substantially, but still gets beaten thoroughly in terms of soundstage versus a a well-powered K70x.  T50 doesn't beat a dampened K701's midrange, however.

Aug 20, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #44 of 110

Quote:
T50RP is cleaner, better balanced, and sports much better low bass and midrange than stock K70x.  The AKGs kill T50 in the treble.  If you get into modifications, T50RP improves substantially, but still gets beaten thoroughly in terms of soundstage versus a a well-powered K70x.  T50 doesn't beat a dampened K701's midrange, however.

That sounds like quite a strong endorsement of the T50-RP. The fact that you've kept both the K70X and the T50-RP (or so I see in your profile) suggests that they aren't just more-of-same. I'm curious about your mods, though. It sounds like you kept the stock T50 cups, but dampened them. Did you replace the cables or the pads? The fact that the Fostex cans are relatively cheap makes me less concerned about opening them up in a way that I would never consider with my AKG.  

Aug 20, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #45 of 110

Quote:
That sounds like quite a strong endorsement of the T50-RP. The fact that you've kept both the K70X and the T50-RP (or so I see in your profile) suggests that they aren't just more-of-same. I'm curious about your mods, though. It sounds like you kept the stock T50 cups, but dampened them. Did you replace the cables or the pads? The fact that the Fostex cans are relatively cheap makes me less concerned about opening them up in a way that I would never consider with my AKG.  

I've dampened them to the driver to muffle bass, created custom pad - tutorial here, and don't replace the cable.

Increased head to driver distance with pad increases soundstage.
More dampening in rear increases highs
More dampening away from driver increase bass
A little EQign goes a long ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back