[REVIEW] Fostex T50RP, it's been needing a Review
Jun 21, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #16 of 110

Quote:
Call it as whatever you will, it merely a remedy to correct a design flaw or flaws.

I call the expectation of sonic perfection from untouched, stock phones between $50-$75 unreal.

I call modding a $50-$75 phone to compete with or better $300 phones a steal!

The Fostex Orthos are known to be a DIY modders dream due to the brilliance of the driver.  It's well known the driver isn't the problem, it's the cheap acoustics.  I'm not sure what you were expecting exactly from your T20RP.  Especially since they were meant as cheap, durable studio monitors not audiophile toys.

I'm sure someone would be happy to take the T20RP of your hands since you don't listen to it.

Jun 21, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #17 of 110

Quote:
I call the expectation of sonic perfection from untouched, stock phones between $50-$75 unreal.

I call modding a $50-$75 phone to compete with or better $300 phones a steal!

The Fostex Orthos are known to be a DIY modders dream due to the brilliance of the driver.  It's well known the driver isn't the problem, it's the cheap acoustics.  I'm not sure what you were expecting exactly from your T20RP.  Especially since they were meant as cheap, durable studio monitors not audiophile toys.

I'm sure someone would be happy to take the T20RP of your hands since you don't listen to it.

exactly

I just got my HD598's in and after spending a week with my T50RP, I can't place even a good point on the HD598

My T50RP's have better bass, more playfullness, better seperation and just a bit more comfort.

But that's because I modded mine:

The beautiful Driver

Now a driver replant would be great. But I need to find a cheap set to plant them in.

Sorry about not replying back earlier everyone, I guess I wasn't after I posted the review.

Jun 21, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #18 of 110
It was unfair of me to put down the T 20rp. I have them for a while but I rarely listen to them. Maybe a few hours the most. I am going to listen to them for the next few days....I am coming back for my last assessment. 

At loud level, they are a decent pair for the price. Just that sizzling cymbals and sparks are not quite up there. Mid is pretty smooth and laid back.
Bass is much cleaner than my RX 700.

Jun 21, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #19 of 110

Quote:
It was unfair of me to put down the T 20rp. I have them for a while but I rarely listen to them. Maybe a few hours the most. I am going to listen to them for the next few days....I am coming back for my last assessment. 

At loud level, they are a decent pair for the price. Just that sizzling cymbals and sparks are not quite up there. Mid is pretty smooth and laid back.
Bass is much cleaner than my RX 700.

I find my T50RP's to be killing me with the cymbals and the mids are up front. That's the firs thing I noticed with mine is the overly killing mids up front. But then the highs and lows equaled out later.

Jun 21, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #20 of 110
Glad to know. 

Headfonia has a review and they recomended the T 50rp but not the  T40rp. Nice review BTW. They did not mention the T 20Rp. ANW, I have the T 50 RP ordered from B &H . Will see if the T50rp excells the T 20rp by the wide margin or not.

I am running the T20rp with some heavy rock music  for couple days and will report back. 

Thank you.

Jul 7, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #21 of 110
Got my T50rp from B & H. Sounds better than the T 20rp. Less " heavy and muffled". Detail, Punchy, smooth vocal right out of the box. First impression is WOW, all this for $73.00. I would pay more if I have to.

I run them with a couple AC/DC CDs then see how better can they be. Overall, I am happy with my purchase and may order another pair to experience the modding.

Jul 7, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #22 of 110

Quote:
Got my T50rp from B & H. Sounds better than the T 20rp. Less " heavy and muffled". Detail, Punchy, smooth vocal right out of the box. First impression is WOW, all this for $73.00. I would pay more if I have to.

I run them with a couple AC/DC CDs then see how better can they be. Overall, I am happy with my purchase and may order another pair to experience the modding.

Give them a quick burn in you'll be on the floor just completely out of it. They sound horrid at first.

Jul 8, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #23 of 110

Quote:
Give them a quick burn in you'll be on the floor just completely out of it. They sound horrid at first.

Question abt the detached cable. Are they for real or fake? I did not try on my T 50rp but I try to unplug the cable on my T 20rp by turning it counter clockwise ( reversing the arrow) but no-can-do. 

Jul 8, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #24 of 110
It takes a good pull

Actually a squeeze.

Turn to the direction of the arrow all the way and pull the plug like, like pulling a hair. Very gently but with a lot of pressure. This insures you that you won't break anything. I'm not too sure about the T20Rp, but as they are a downgraded version and all the Fostex T models have a removeable cable. it should happen. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Just, gently with a lot of pressure. NO YANKING

Jul 8, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #25 of 110

Quote:
It takes a good pull

Actually a squeeze.

Turn to the direction of the arrow all the way and pull the plug like, like pulling a hair. Very gently but with a lot of pressure. This insures you that you won't break anything. I'm not too sure about the T20Rp, but as they are a downgraded version and all the Fostex T models have a removeable cable. it should happen. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Just, gently with a lot of pressure. NO YANKING

Got it. Thank you. I played around with it a few times but there is no bad connection there, just the T 20 rp are not good HPs unless EQing. Muffled and lifeless.

Now, I am going back to my T50 RP...

Jul 8, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #26 of 110

Quote:
Got it. Thank you. I played around with it a few times but there is no bad connection there, just the T 20 rp are not good HPs unless EQing. Muffled and lifeless.

Now, I am going back to my T50 RP...

Are the T20Rp smaller? if so, they would be nice to make a portable out of. A cowon would sold that EQ problem.

I really like mine because I can literally run my amp empty blasting music at full volume. But not too often, don't want possible driver warping.

Jul 8, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #27 of 110

Quote:
Are the T20Rp smaller? if so, they would be nice to make a portable out of. A cowon would sold that EQ problem.

I really like mine because I can literally run my amp empty blasting music at full volume. But not too often, don't want possible driver warping.

Same and identical looks. Again, thank you. I will check the Cowon. I need a MP3 anyway. 

Jul 8, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #28 of 110
I have a Cowon S9 16gb. It will meet anyone's needs and I love it. 

Sansa Clip+ is also one of my favorites. I would say go Clip+ regardless if you get the S9 or not.

Cowon J3 is a S9 update. But then the S9 can run what the J3 has without the expandable memory.

Jul 23, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #29 of 110
OK Bot my T50's  arrived today.  I gave them a quick listen before work, just listened to Dylan...Blood On The Tracks and right now I'm listening to Sweet Dreams by Mia Jang My first impressions are they sound OK. I bought them knowing I was going to be modding them so the SQ right out of the box is not a burning issue for me. They seem fairly comfortable though, circumaural versus on ear like my Grado's. The only thing that bugs me about them at the moment is the cable. I had heard the plug for the detachable cable was an issue and it definitely is. My right channel goes in and out and is very staticy at times, all because of a bad connection with that plug. That's something that definitely needs addressed.

Jul 23, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #30 of 110
You can try treating the mini-plug with Deoxit for slightly better contact so you no longer have issues, but I would simply do away with the plug and jack and solder the cable directly to the inner wiring.  Alternatively, in order to keep a detachable cable and solve the issue for good, get a Switchcraft equivalent of the stock mini-jack in the left cup (it's a Neutrik) and you shouldn't have any issues with that again.  The jack is threaded with a nut(?) that you unscrew in order to remove it from the cup (accessible from outside).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back