[REVIEW] Fostex T50RP, it's been needing a Review
Apr 14, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #106 of 110
Apr 14, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #107 of 110
i have to add that my modded T50 has enough bass as i have partially closed the vent with some tape and did other suggestions from DBV#3.
The modded T50RP is a nice complementary to my HD650 and they don´t stand down in musicality compared to the sennheisers.ATM i have the T50 connected to my STX at highest gain and they are marvelous for 5.1 emulated surround when watching movies. I really enjoy them very much and can say they were worth every penny i paid (incl. import tax to germany from new york).

Apr 15, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #108 of 110
I've already worked my way through the incremental mods post and looked at loads of other stuff on modified versions of the T50RP; as a professional audio transducer engineer I actually bought the Fostex cans to modify them, intrigued by the level of success some modders have had, but I think you have missed my main reason for posting. Low mass per unit area diaphragms don't like being enclosed and no transducer should be mounted on a flimsy, resonant, half-coconut shell, so it seems to me that the first configuration to look at should have been fully open-back with rigid support baffles. I was fishing for information on any prior attempts to do this.

Ed Form

Jun 22, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #109 of 110
  So here's the question. Why has no one tried modifying T50s to true open back running? The driver definitely doesn't like being enclosed in a cheap, microphonic plastic canister and, if the diaphragm is doing as it's told by the signal, the cans ought to sound reasonably in the Electrostatic league.

Wow, my thread's still bumping after all these years? 

Well, I had to bring in an update based on this post. Though, rather late with a poster who's probably far gone.

I've been modding my T50RP steadily for the last couple years, and I've found the niche that I like from them.

Here's my findings:

- Pads matter the most. Period. In the Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements thread, pads make far more of a difference than any other mod you can find.
So, I've made micro-velour pads with memory foam. Not "cut to shape" memory foam, but memory foam that I've shredded into fluff to make it much lighter and softer. This creates a similar seal to pleather/leather pads without the sweating. The pads are still very deep and seal well--which is key.
- While dampening and closing the back of the drivers matters a lot to flatten the frequency response, I find the sound to be really "closed" and canned. The soundstage is small, bass doesn't sound natural, mids feel more forward, and highs can sound tinny. I can't stand this sound with these drivers. Like, with my MDR-V6, I'm fine with the limited (yet good positioning) of the soundstage. But, not with the T50RPs.
What I've done is make them far more open. I've pulled the tape off the back of the vents, and have taken a knife to the permanently closed vents to even open up the back more. I find this to massively open up the sound stage and still provide more than enough bass for my needs (they certainly aren't bass-light, but a bit over neutral). With this, I've left the backing of the drivers all the way off without any tape or sealer.
I'm unsure at this moment if it's the openness, or the bass reflex of limiting air movement through the back of the headphone. I want to really plant these drivers in a wide-open back (like LCD2, HiFiman) with a tilt in both the driver and the pads to test this out. 

With my current mods, the sound isn't perfectly flat and the bass doesn't reach down the lowest, but it's a lush sound that I haven't found any other can to produce. It's why they've been my daily drivers for the last couple years and I still have my second pair hidden away in a cabinet just in case. 

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #110 of 110
i'm looking for a new full size cans that suitable for my playlist which is mostly metal such as metallica,trivium etc does t50rp can handle that genre well?my preferences for the soundsig is punchy and tight bass(but not too big on quantity),engaging and well textured mids for handling the distortion electric guitar and sparkling treble,maybe i'm mention all of the characteristic of grado's soundsig but i'm looking for a closed cans and want to try ortho now
smily_headphones1.gif
,currently i just have FiiO E07K on my amp inventory,does it have enough juice to drive these cans to reach a well dynamic for those genre?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back