[REVIEW] Fostex T50RP, it's been needing a Review
Sep 10, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #76 of 110

Quote:
All parts of the spectrum improve by removing the white felt and replacing it with a stiff craft felt...  this requires tuning the vent to reduce the then huge bass output, but it works incredibly well.  My $.02 is this will take your mod even further, but the caveat is it is not reversible.  I have built 5 pair and done significant A/B time, and there is no comparison.   

Also, BluTak can be improved on by using plasticine.  It is way denser and better at mass loading the baffle and killing resonances in the plastic.  

I'm curious why you chose to damp the back cup with blutak instead of using foam to kill reflections.  Did you A/B?  What was the result?  Or have you only tried it this way?  

Loved the hand-made ear pads and band.  Wish I could sew leather (probably just need to try and be willing to thread my finger a few times)...  :)  

I used the blutak because when I used the felt, things started to get muddy. I've tried well over two dozen setups and found the one that worked the best.

The leather needles are sharp. I've sent the entire needle through my finger and out my nail before. Maybe it wasn't smart to sharpen them any further.

Maybe I need to do a step by step tutorial here.

Also, I'm thinking of adding foam (not felt) to dampen the driver.

I also don't believe in the clarity of screens. It's placebo. I've only cut the inner felt of the cups off. I'm not touching the drivers.

I'll compare mine with the one that's being shipped to me at the moment. See how it is vs. stock.

Sep 10, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #77 of 110

Quote:

I used the blutak because when I used the felt, things started to get muddy. I've tried well over two dozen setups and found the one that worked the best.

The leather needles are sharp. I've sent the entire needle through my finger and out my nail before. Maybe it wasn't smart to sharpen them any further.

I also don't believe in the clarity of screens. It's placebo. I've only cut the inner felt of the cups off. I'm not touching the drivers.

I'll compare mine with the one that's being shipped to me at the moment. See how it is vs. stock.

I hope you're not using leather needles with the pleather you've made your pads/headband out of.  I've had a bit of that for some time and it's painfully easy to sew with any normal needle.

Sep 10, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #78 of 110

Clarity of screens? What us this referring to?

If you are talking about the white felt it is not a screen and has a massive impact on the sound, and not a good one at that... Until this was removed there was always some problem with a hot spot and bass response in any setup I built.

Since you have the felt in place your tuning will be radically different from mine, which may be why blutak in the cup works for you. With the white felt off, it is essential to reduce reflections inside the cup, vs damping out resonances in the back cup, which is what your approach does. But that may make sense given the different ways we have handled the drivers. To bad you don't live in San Diego or OC, it'd be interesting to compare.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 10, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #79 of 110

Quote:
I hope you're not using leather needles with the pleather you've made your pads/headband out of.  I've had a bit of that for some time and it's painfully easy to sew with any normal needle.

I found the regular needles to rip a hole through the leather.

Quote:
Clarity of screens? What us this referring to?

If you are talking about the white felt it is not a screen and has a massive impact on the sound, and not a good one at that... Until this was removed there was always some problem with a hot spot and bass response in any setup I built.

Since you have the felt in place your tuning will be radically different from mine, which may be why blutak in the cup works for you. With the white felt off, it is essential to reduce reflections inside the cup, vs damping out resonances in the back cup, which is what your approach does. But that may make sense given the different ways we have handled the drivers. To bad you don't live in San Diego or OC, it'd be interesting to compare.

Well, how I have mine at the moment still beat out the LCD-2

I've found the dampening dot to control everything very well. When i tested it, it just seemed the bass was a little less wild and more subtle.

Sep 10, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #80 of 110
hey 
sorry i didnt read the full  review of these headphones , i just notice that u have also the 598 , which one u like more ? because im thinking of the 598 , also i wont be able to mod this like what u did due to noobish issues  
thanx : )

Sep 10, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #81 of 110

Quote:
hey 
sorry i didnt read the full  review of these headphones , i just notice that u have also the 598 , which one u like more ? because im thinking of the 598 , also i wont be able to mod this like what u did due to noobish issues  
thanx : )

wat ?

T50RP's are better

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #82 of 110

Comparing my Mod with Stock w/out burn in

TESTS:

David Ryan Harris, For you, FLAC 920kbps

I chose a song that has high male vocals and guitar with low and mid tones. So everything is attendance.

Modded: Bass was there. Highs sparkled. Mids were smooth and controlled. Everything was defined and in order.

Stock: What's bass? The bass reminds me of Ibuds. The mids are very detailed still and the highs were smooth, but no detailed. Soundstage was way closed in, enough to beat out Grado in forwardness.

Dave Matthews Band, Seven, MP3 320kbps

Dave Mathews Band is probably the best to test headphones on. Intense combination of instruments and a wide vary or bass with highs

Stock: Everything sounded, dead> Lifeless in a way. DMB is very energetic, but through these, it's dead. Bass extends to the lower mids, but I know the bass on this song is very deep. Highs are congested, soundstage is still lacking.

Modded: Bass, Mids, Highs. Everything was there. Where it should be. Perfect to my ears.

The comfort is horrible, but I can turn down my receiver with the stock one. I did notice crackle and channel imbalance for the first three seconds of audio on the stock. With a twist of the cables this was fixed.

Conclusion:

Listening to For you, I was skeptical about the Placebo effect on mods. The differences were very small and very tiny in size. Almost as if I prettied up a stock pair to call them modded. This scared me. But I figured it might have been going from top to bottom in that order.

To with Seven, I went from stock to modded. This was a slap in the face. MY GOD. The differences were night and day. Bass was alive, mids had their own section and highs were playful. It's amazing how much the mod helped.

I know it's stock w/out the burn in. But I believe that without burn, you can hear the true sound of the headphones. This tells you what they are capable of doing, not of how they will sound.

I'm happy with my mods, extremely. I'm happy enough to put the stock pair away in the closet for later use if my current pair fail.

TESTS SCORES:

Stock w.out burn in: 6/10 Sill a great pair of headphones. Bass might not be top notch along with the comfort, but still a great sound

Modded: PERFECTION (is I'm allowed to comment) Of course it's to my standards. But simply, modding works and works well to a long degree. The top mod, comfort. My head still hurts from the stock pair after 7 mins of wear. My modded ones I can wear for hours.

Sep 15, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #84 of 110
By removing the felt on the ear-side of the driver, does any hair get into the diaphram and distort the sound, ala 'grado grattle', or is this pretty safe?

Quote:

UPDATING PICTURES

The full thing

One pad off.

Both pads off. Left is towards head. Right is towards cup.

Removed driver felt. Just took driver out of the holder and slid knife through the felt for a clean cut

My headband holding system. Just removed the headband and slid the system over it.

Rear of driver.

That dampening dot is from somewhere. Don't remember where though. Controlled everything a little better though. Blutack on the inside too.

Blutak (not blue) on the inside. Not too pretty but doesn't matter. This is three stick rolled out with a rolling pin and the center cup open. Lay it across the with vent viable. The vent frees some bass, but also gives the driver more control of it. What's better? More bass or better bass?

To show I applied duck tape over everything on the inside to clear the plastic harmonics

Center of the driver port is blutak in a mm thin stretch to replace the felt that was there. I think this actually did something, maybe more clarity and cleared up some rattle. But not too sure.

To show how thick my pads are. That is a upside down 2, don't ask, it's a mechainist's ruler. It's just over 1 1/2 inched in width

The completed T50RP modded to a LCD-2's specs.

Enjoy the picks and don't think it's rude to ask questions.

Sep 15, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #85 of 110
I read only superlatives for these cans. But I have a question:
How is the bass of T50RP? Most of my listening is to electronics and I wonder if they're good for it.

Sep 15, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #86 of 110

Quote:
How is the bass of T50RP? Most of my listening is to electronics and I wonder if they're good for it.

Not powerful, yet defined

Like Grado style bass, but more powerful

It's very defined, going deep and staying mostly in the lower mids. But then it's got some punch to it.

Stock, would be only lower mids and no power. My mod is a small amount of power but everything is defined.

Sep 15, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #87 of 110
It depends on mods and taste.  I've heard mine everywhere from light and tight to full-on monstrously uncontrolled, depending on how you change the damping.

Sep 15, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #88 of 110
They can be tuned to be radically bass heavy, if that's your thing.  It requires taking out the white felt on the driver then adjusting the vent to tune the bass from deep and powerful yet flat anywhere to "OMG there is so much bass my head is in a subwoofer," based on your goal.  Earpads also have an effect on bass output.

My different sets are each tuned to be very close in bass to my LCD-2, though the pads cause some variation in the sound.  They pretty much all go flat and deep to at least 20Hz, with very low distortion.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 16, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #90 of 110

Quote:
They pretty much all go flat and deep to at least 20Hz, with very low distortion. 

Yup. At normal volume levels, mine are flat to 13Hz. With more volume, you can feel lower frequencies.

Despite the ultra-low extension, the bass never overwhelms any other frequencies and everything sounds right. These are by far the best headphones I have ever heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back