Review: Denon D2000
Jun 16, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #61 of 232
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've begun (mentally) to compose a poem: "Ode to the D2000." This is a first for me and a set of headphones! : )

my my...headphones invoking poetry...must be something really special!! i'm getting close to pulling the trigger. the only thing that's holding me back is not knowing whether or not the d5000 is worth the extra money. it seems as though the d2000 is a bargain in comparison from what i've been able to gather (which isn't much). i'm having trouble finding much information on the differences between the two...even after an extensive thread search. anyone here who's heard both have an opinion?

sorry, pataburd, for changing the focus of this incredibly informative thread to the d5000 for a moment. i am seriously leaning toward the d2000 after reading all of your impressions thus far, and will undoubtedly purchase them soon as long as i can be convinced that they sound "close enough" to its bigger brother. thanks.

Jun 16, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #62 of 232
Quote:

Yes, donunus, but when they, they fall perfectly! They're always easy to find, too. And even if they fall on a carpet with screws in the background pattern and upon which there are lots of other actual screws strewn about that look remarkably similar to the D2000's, your eyes are immediately drawn to the Denon screws; it's rather amazing, actually. They also sparkle with peerless clarity, better than screws from any other headphones--open or closed--that I've ever owned!!

Next up: HD600 screws vs. K501 screws vs. D2000 screws, the "final showdown." : )

Ah yes... the screws.

No doubt they are the "high-light" of the Denons. Beautiful... they twinkle like diamonds!" The screws alone are worth the price!

You simply must buy a set of these... TODAY! NOW! IMMEDIATELY!

Jun 16, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #63 of 232
hahahaha. So gradofan2 do you think the d2000 would be great for me as a complement to my ad2k. i think the d5000 is a little too expensive for me right now. I'll just tighten all screws when I get them
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #64 of 232
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shakey27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my my...headphones invoking poetry...must be something really special!! i'm getting close to pulling the trigger. the only thing that's holding me back is not knowing whether or not the d5000 is worth the extra money. it seems as though the d2000 is a bargain in comparison from what i've been able to gather (which isn't much). i'm having trouble finding much information on the differences between the two...even after an extensive thread search. anyone here who's heard both have an opinion?

sorry, pataburd, for changing the focus of this incredibly informative thread to the d5000 for a moment. i am seriously leaning toward the d2000 after reading all of your impressions thus far, and will undoubtedly purchase them soon as long as i can be convinced that they sound "close enough" to its bigger brother. thanks.

S27,
From my admittedly cursory thread search, I came away with the impression that if a person intends to invest the time/money into the Markl mod and possibly a cable upgrade down the road, he's better off going straight for the D5000.

As for me, there's a "David and Goliath" theme to the D2000. And I like the idea of the special composite material for the driver housings, although "woodies"--which I've never owned or heard--might be nice, too. : )
PAB

Jun 17, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #65 of 232
After noticing that my MD5000's had a braided (one can feel it) 7N copper cable, my respect for denon increased. In my eyes the D5000 is like a good pair of cans with a cable upgrade already installed. If you put an arbitrary $100-$150 value on a cable upgrade, then $430 or whatever them makes some sense. The icing on the cake is that due to markl's serious work at getting the best out of them, one knows that with a bit of work they can be improved and even somewhat "tuned" to one's tastes.

I find the base in them a bit too much, rather like UE 10 triple.fi's plugged into a full-sized amp, and am thinking of experimenting with different amounts of fibre loft in the cups.

Jun 17, 2008 at 10:36 AM Post #66 of 232
Quote:

Next up: HD600 screws vs. K501 screws vs. D2000 screws, the "final showdown." : )

Good -- I've been wanting to see this!
And, I read somewhere that using D2000 screws in the HD600 adds more bass.
biggrin.gif

Note: Yes, the D2000 is a bargain for the money, and the D5000 worth the extra money, if you can afford it.

Plus, the D5000 screws are even shinier -- like diamonds....
rolleyes.gif

Jun 17, 2008 at 11:26 AM Post #67 of 232
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hahahaha. So gradofan2 do you think the d2000 would be great for me as a complement to my ad2k. i think the d5000 is a little too expensive for me right now. I'll just tighten all screws when I get them
biggrin.gif

Possibly...

I have no idea how they sound... other than from the various posts on them, which suggest they sound a lot like the D5000s, which I have.

The D5000s are pretty impressive - though you have to committ to 400 hrs of burn in, and a low impedance amp to realize their great sound. Otherwise - I'd avoid them.

But... if you like the "Grado-like" AD2000s, you'll find the Denons a bit more "Senn-like," than "Grado-like." To that extent, they're a "complement" to the AD2000s. They have a "thicker" sound... and of course... "boomier" bass. The sound a lot like HD600s, or brighter, clearer HD650s. If you like Senns, you'll like Denons.

Based on "Partaburd's" experience... If I thought I "had to try the Denons," I'd likely "experiment" with the D2000s, because of their lower price. On the other hand... if I thought... I might like them... and keep them as one of my main phones... I'd probably go for the stock D5000s (better cable, better cups). But... you must realize, you're going to have to make sure you have a matching amp with low impedance with lots of current to drive them (in contrast to voltage) - that may be an additional investment - they don't sound good with just "any ole amp."

Oh yes... and... I wouldn't complete the "Markl Mods," until they were fully burnt in, and I had the matching amp - you may decide you don't need them.

Jun 17, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #69 of 232
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
. . .
Oh yes... and... I wouldn't complete the "Markl Mods," until they were fully burnt in, and I had the matching amp - you may decide you don't need them.

GF,
Between additional burn-in time and my own habituation to the stock sound of the D2000 (and careful tube selection), I don't feel any pressing urgency to do/have done the Markl mods right now. The stock sound is adequate for right now (but that's subject to change).

In addition, I reiterate having read that some D2000 owners claim, in their judgment/experience, that a well-matched amp and/or a cable upgrade obviate(s)--or at least significantly minimizes--the perceived need for the Markl mods altogether.

Eventually, I would certainly like to try the D5000. But I also feel that there remains, meanwhile, a lot more enjoyment yet to be derived from the (stock) D2000. : )

PAB

Jun 17, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #70 of 232
Gradofan, I wouldn't exactly call them Senn-like, but they are a great compliment to Senns, for fans of the Senn signature sound. Different flavor, lol.

Jun 17, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #71 of 232
Well... I should say... with a good DAC and Amp (units that match them well) they're "Senn-Like."

But then... you'll need an especially good set up to hear the Senns at their best also ("Senn-like").

You will not even come close to their true sound without that.

Try them (D5000s) with a Monarchy M24, or Cal Audio Alpha... and... an X-CANv8... and you'll readily understand (and you'll need the same DACs and the DV332 at a minimum to hear the "real Senns").

Jun 17, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #72 of 232
Compared to the HD600, the D2000 sound (to my ears) more immediate and vivid--but at the same time more liquidy/coherent and expansive, with more substantial bass weight and drive. On the other hand, the D2000 seem to lack the refinement and/or a degree or two of ultimate resolution compared to the HD600.

Although at this point, in all fairness, I should give the HD600 another 150 or so hours to burn in.

I'll add, too, that I left the D2000 at home today, and that I rather miss them. While they may not do more, or even as many, individual things as well as, say, the HD600, it's the harmonious synergy among their constuent elements that makes me tend to prefer the D2000 (in these casual, headphile musings).

Like the K501, the D2000 seem to present music in an organic/synergistic way that defies strictly analytic listening. That is, I cannot seem to be able to concentrate exclusively on one facet of the recording (e.g. the bass line or drum line) and occlusively follow the song for its entire duration on the basis of that element alone. Instead, [with headphones like the D2000] the music is delivered in one piece, with its various elements arriving interactively, indissoluably and vitally intact.

For example, I can hear the well delineated brass section "over there" but its part is integrally interwoven with the strings, drum and reeds elsewhere. I cannot simply concentrate on the brass to the virtual exclusion of everything else: the D2000, and to perhaps a greater extent the K501, simply won't "let me" do that. To me, this is what chiefly demarcates a product that genuinely conveys music from another product that, while perhaps being technically superior, still falls noticably short of delivering the all-important musical goods.

I'll be the first to admit that I think it's neat when a new set of headphones lets me hear the piano bench creak, or the clarinet player's teeth on the reed for the first time ever on a familiar recording, but these novel distractions (admittedly enjoyable in the short term--at least for me) in-and-of themselves, or even in large sums, are ultimately not the reason why I consistently reach for a pair of headphones. While headphones like the K501 or D2000 will certainly give you your fair share of novel "first time discoveries," they give you much more, musically, as well (IMHO). : )

Jun 17, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #73 of 232
Ahhh, GF, I don't want to go that far down the rabbit hole...my wife would kill me...

Jun 17, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #74 of 232
Pataburd, I also enjoy Glenn Miller, but the only album I have of his is very grainy and noisy. Do you have a recommendation for a Miller album with high sound quality?

Jun 18, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #75 of 232
Just ordered myself a Denon AH-D2000! Can't wait till they arrive. Just not quite sure what kind of amp and dac i will be getting to match with this headset. Right now im looking at the Gilmore lite amp and still trying to figure out what kind of dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back