Review: Denon D2000
Jun 14, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #31 of 232
Do the Denon D2000s provide a good sense of 3D sound (sound stage front to back and left to right)? Right now I have Grado's and what I'm looking for is a slightly less aggressive sound, a bit warmer, a better sound stage, and better bass. I already know the Denon D2000 have bass covered so, I'm just curious about the sound stage aspect compared to Grado's and looking for a little warmth in the sound.

Jun 14, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #32 of 232
Thanks again for your great review. I've been on the edge about to jump in for weeks now ($216 delivered from Buy.com)

I've got one last question (not including the above poster's question): I keep hearing it doesn't really isolate very well, especially for a closed can. How non-isolating is it? Better than my ESW9's? If so, my wallet's ready. If not, I'm probably going to get them anyways, but maybe after another can.

Cheers!

Jun 14, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #33 of 232
Quote:

Originally Posted by goober-george /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do the Denon D2000s provide a good sense of 3D sound (sound stage front to back and left to right)? Right now I have Grado's and what I'm looking for is a slightly less aggressive sound, a bit warmer, a better sound stage, and better bass. I already know the Denon D2000 have bass covered so, I'm just curious about the sound stage aspect compared to Grado's and looking for a little warmth in the sound.

Goober-G,
The D2000 definitely provide the desired warmth and check the over-aggressiveness relative to the Grados, but without losing speed or clarity, IMHE. Also, I would describe the D2000 as being immediate, but without being too much in your face.

They also, IMHO, significantly improve upon the Grados with respect to sound stage dimensionality along virtually every axis. I need to do some more critical listening to more accurately determine, proportionally, how and where along the (x,y,z) axes this comparative expansion occurs, however.

Given what I recall from last night's audition (which lasted, by the way, until 4:00 a.m. this morning), and my historical recall from having owned Grados, the D2000, IMHO, definitely hold the trump cards for left-to-right--width--and front-to-back--depth--advantage over the SR-225 and 325i (although the front-to-back aspect resides more rearward than forward of an imaginary, transverse vertical plane drawn through the center of the head and sectioning it into hemispheres), but I'll have to do some more careful listening to further affirm or refute that observation.

Again, I'm of the opinion that the D2000 are what the Grados aspire to be, but what the Grados still do not quite seem to attain on their own. Put another way, the D2000 seem to offer everything the Grados actually do provide, everything the Grados yet aspire to provide, and then some! : )

PAB

Jun 14, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #34 of 232
pataburd,

you're really selling these phones with an articulate flare...do you happen to work in sales??? jk. thanks again for your impressions. i just might have to take the plunge. now, do i go for the d2000 or straight to the top with the d5000. hmmm.......

Quote:

Originally Posted by antran7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks again for your great review. I've been on the edge about to jump in for weeks now ($216 delivered from Buy.com)

I've got one last question (not including the above poster's question): I keep hearing it doesn't really isolate very well, especially for a closed can. How non-isolating is it? Better than my ESW9's? If so, my wallet's ready. If not, I'm probably going to get them anyways, but maybe after another can.

Cheers!

i am also interested in what you have discovered in the denons regarding isolation. the closed can aspect of this line of headphones is an attractive feature as long as they can perform like open phones...and from what you've described thus far, they really are superbly spacious sounding headphone.

Jun 14, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #36 of 232
I'd have to say in regards of them isolating...well, they don't do a great job at all. They don't fit tightly on my head (maybe on someone elses they would, but Senns clamp on so well), the ear pads are really soft, and although they are closed, they do allow sound to pass through quite easily. When playing music though, you won't notice most external noises, but they leak sound like a seive. I can't use them in the same room as my wife when she's watching TV, because a) she complains about all the noise, and b) I can hear the TV, even when playing music.

Jun 14, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #37 of 232
Quote:

Originally Posted by antran7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Cheers!

Antran,
I can't comment on the D2000's isolation vs. the ESW9, but have read, too, that the Denon leak more than one would want or expect from a closed headphone. In my listening environment leakage isn't a critical issue, so I really haven't been paying attention.
My apologies. : )
PAB

Jun 14, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #38 of 232
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shakey27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pataburd,
you're really selling these phones with an articulate flare...do you happen to work in sales??? jk. thanks again for your impressions. i just might have to take the plunge. now, do i go for the d2000 or straight to the top with the d5000. hmmm.......

Shakey,
I am admittedly exuberant and still a bit starry-eared over the D2000, so keep that in mind to temper your reading.

Remember, these are just a lowly layman's first excited impressions. : )
PAB

Jun 14, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #39 of 232
I think i'm gonna buy the d2000's.
smily_headphones1.gif

by the sound of it, they have strong bass, slightly recsessed mids, and nice detailed highs. Am I correct?

Does anyone know where I can get them cheapest in the UK by chance?

Jun 14, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #40 of 232
Tim, that about sums it up, yes. If that's what you're looking for, I'd say go for it. I love mine, but I'm not as articulate about them as Burdman...

Jun 14, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #41 of 232
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
donunus,
IMHO, the D2000 better the K701 with respect to frequency balance, dynamic balance and overall coherency. In addition, the Denon traverse more deeply and more articulately in the nether regions, are less apt to be strident (while remaining comparatively detailed) in the upper frequencies, and exhibit a more open, developed, smooth and organic midrange.

In short, I think/perceive that the D2000 sound both more open and at the same time more "together" than the K701. They [the Denon] have the apparent ability to credibly convey both clarity and warmth, but without lapsing into either undue brightness or darkness in the process. The 2000--and this is what makes them special--also maintain their superior integrity with a liquid transitionality from top to bottom.

(Aside 1: And while perhaps conceding to the likes of the K340 in terms of absolute quantities of detail, the D2000 convey better coherency and clearly superior bass characteristics [than the K340], IMHO. Aside 2: Alas, while the D2000 must yield to the K501 in terms of critical midrange integrity--where the latter gains the pivotal and decisive edge, albeit more narrowly than widely, they [the D2000] yield nowhere else [to the K501], IMHO.)

Therefore, in stock form I unhesitatingly and uniformly prefer the D2000 to the K701.

And please remember, this is but one, abject Head-fier's lowly (but contented) opinion. : )

PAB

I think coming from you I can trust that the d2000s are great cans. Of course yours is just one opinion but you seem to be a seasoned audiophile instead of someone that loves the d2000s just because of BASS! hehehe
This thread has really swayed me over to getting these cans instead of hd650s or k701s

Jun 15, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #42 of 232
Well I just purchased my first set of Markl modded d2000s and I'm pretty excited for them to arrive. I've got both the 650's and the 701's and have been looking everywhere for a good closed can. I tried the ALO modded 780's and they just didn't do it for me. I hope these are what I'm looking for.

For what it's worth, I'm using a pink floyd modded x-can v3 with some nice Westinghouse NOS tubes so I'll be sure to post my impressions as soon as my cans arrive.

Jun 15, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #43 of 232
Bigj,
Please keep us posted about your experience with the Markl-modded D2000. (I'm excited for you, too.) Those mods--and possibly the APS V3 re-cable--are options I'm weighing, too.

I currently own the HD600 and the K501 and am extremely pleased with the D2000. The K501 is my favorite of all the open cans I've tried; the D2000 of all the closed cans I've tried. : )

Kindly (and promptly) reignite this thread the minute the Markl-modded D2000 grace your ears!
PAB

Jun 15, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #44 of 232
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think coming from you I can trust that the d2000s are great cans. Of course yours is just one opinion but you seem to be a seasoned audiophile instead of someone that loves the d2000s just because of BASS! hehehe
This thread has really swayed me over to getting these cans instead of hd650s or k701s

Donunus,
Ideally, and if at all possible, you're better off auditioning all three headphones, then making an informed, personal choice as to which is most suitable for you. I suppose, too, that it could simply mean that the D2000 may be the first set of headphones you try, serially, and if you don't happen to particularly like them--independent of my gushing accolades, you can always resell them and try another pair on your shortlist.

Also, as another thread mentioned, source and amplifier play a very important role in forming one's impressions of the D2000. For me, given my current sources and amps, the D2000 impress me as excellent all-rounders with a decided propensity for bass, as well as an excellent bargain. Stating my personal, subjective preferences and rank-ordering the three headphones you listed, my ordering from most to least favorite would be: D2000, K701, HD650.

That's one, lowly layman's opinion and, as always, "YMMV". : )

PAB

Jun 16, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #45 of 232
Short update:
Earlier this evening, I tried the D2000 out on (1) the Ventura portable (a step below a Walkman knock-off--my wife probably paid $10 for it), (2) the Ventura with cd line out through the JVC C-220C mini-component system headphone jack (the C-220C is about 15 years old) and (3) the JVC FS-5000 mini-component system. Music: Michael Jackson, Off the Wall (Re-Master). Tweaks: Aurex CD mat and DakiOm Fm203 feedback stabilizer.

(1) The D2000 sounded ridiculously good through the no-name Ventura: nice, sturdy, extended bass, reasonably detailed highs, 3-D spatiality and acceptably smooth/expressive mids. Sure, it lacks the refinement of my Bada and Denon, but you're probably 70-75% of the way there already.

(2) With the line out to the JVC C-220C, things got better: bass tightened and became more detailed, the highs relaxed further, sounding a little more extended, clear and smooth, sense of space improved, dynamics were impressive. I thought to myself in a state of semi-amazement: "I could probably live rather contentedly with this system for a while!"

The FS-5000 was a disappointment compared to the Ventura/JVC C-220C combination. Bass was rolled off and unfocused, highs were a bit sharp and lacked detail, dynamics were attenuated; everything sounded thin and cheaply rendered. After the first two set-ups (Ventura alone, then Ventura w/line out to the JVC C-220C) the FS-5000 came nowhere close to showing me the D2000's potential.

NOTE: Ah! I had forgotten to run the FS-5000 with the DakiOm Fm203 Feedback Stabilizer when originally writing the above comments. With the DakiOm everything improved (highs and mids were rendered more smoothly and transparently, bass tightened up [yet never quite came out of its shell]), but the FS-5000 still performed inferiorly to the JVC C-220C set-up.

The Darkvoice 337 is due to arrive this Tuesday, and as you can guess I am very eager to hear how the D2000 pair with it! : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back