[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
Jul 15, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #1,531 of 7,021
Quote:

In my long quest for the perfect fit I have try all Comply, with and without the cerumen filter,  both alter the sound and it's very noticeable for me, this is due to the small holes in the material, they are fine for comfort and isolation, to solve fit issues also, finaly we have all different ears :)

I sincerely doubt that.

How the TS500 fits:

The red hole is actually how small the sound bore is.

The TS500 squished before insertion

A sideways view of the TS500.

I used foam with the SD3 because of it's vacuum sealed design that can be quite painful after a long time.It creates actual suction in my ear canal, which is very unpleasant. Foams seal without the sucking action, which actually improves SQ because your tympanic membrane is allowed to vibrate more freely.

Jul 15, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #1,536 of 7,021
I'm currently using the T-500 tips (not the ones Eke is using) and I can confirm that the do affect the treble in a slightly negative way. So far, of the Auvio, Comply, Sony Hybrid, Ortofon, and stock biflange tips, my favorite are probably the Ortofons for balance of comfort and sound.

Also, although this is very preliminary and I have a lot more listening to do, I'd say that a lot of music sounds absolutely fantastic on the G-2, but on some (not all) types of guitar-driven music, a bit of the texture of the guitars seems to get slightly masked-- specifically on Protest the Hero, if anyone is familiar with that. Nine Inch Nails sounds fantastic with them, and the majority of the other music I've listened to as well, so I'd ask that this minor comment not be misconstrued as being a major criticism.

Overall, loving them so far :wink:

Jul 15, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #1,538 of 7,021
Though the TS series tips don't affect the sound of earphones as much as the T series, they still do mute it somewhat. Flush or not, there is an effect.

Can't comment on the earphone that you guys are discussing but I can say the TS comply tips do not affect treble response and quantity in my experience. They sound as good as the ortofons on my 1+2. Foam doesn't inherently affect treble just by being foam. It's the overhang folding across the opening that affect sound. Too much is being made here of too little IMO.

Edit: Other than foam overhang, fit (seal and depth) is the only other variable.

Jul 15, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #1,540 of 7,021
Quote:
Can't comment on the earphone that you guys are discussing but I can say the TS comply tips do not affect treble response and quantity in my experience. They sound as good as the ortofons on my 1+2. Foam doesn't inherently affect treble just by being foam. It's the overhang folding across the opening that affect sound. Too much is being made here of too little IMO.

Edit: Other than foam overhang, fit (seal and depth) is the only other variable.

One example, but in a positive light, is that the TS tips make the lower treble of the H-200 a little smoother and better integrated. T tips would make it a little more muffled, but with silicones it's quite prominent. 

Jul 15, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #1,541 of 7,021
Quote:

At this level of quality for me details are important, when you are doing a comparison without having the same pneumatic in both cars :)

Jul 15, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #1,542 of 7,021
One example, but in a positive light, is that the TS tips make the lower treble of the H-200 a little smoother and better integrated. T tips would make it a little more muffled, but with silicones it's quite prominent. 

Perhaps it's possible, with shallower and/or angled fit, to get some sound wave deflection from canal walls that the silicone would reflect, whereas foam would not. Just some speculation on my part, as I'm unsure on sound wave length versus the small enclosure of the canal walls potentially having an effect.

Jul 15, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #1,544 of 7,021
Quote:

The core of the TS series is shorter than average. It is the shallower insertion that tames the peak, not the foam. You forget that the core itself is made of the same material as ordinary tips.

From Rin's analysis of the H-200:

ON SECOND THOUGHT #1: H-200 is designed for shallow insertion: The deep-null at 6.5 kHz is tamed as the insertion depth becomes shallower. Deep insertion is not recommended at all.

At this level of quality for me details are important, when you are doing a comparison without having the same pneumatic in both cars :)

You and I both know that your only "concern" here is that you ordered the SD3 from Thomman a few days ago. If you'd like to file suit against my comparison, go ahead and get your hands on a ASG-2. Otherwise, please relax.

Jul 15, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #1,545 of 7,021
Edit: SGS said it best.

You know, it's amazing that the biggest detractors of the ASG-2 are the ones who haven't even heard it, and own the phone that I compared it to.

Since the beginning, I have been intrigued by the ASG 2. Several headfiers I trust found the very first ASG1 to be the worst iem they have ever owned. After comes the ASG2 and at first, only people I do not know owned them, so I had my doubts on their extreme enthusiasm. And now other people such as Eke or to a lesser extent ShotgunShane seem to praise them. Eke seems to think that it bests the 1plus2 which to me is among the best 2 I have heard, with the se5. I am not sure my taste would match Ekes but I respect the work done on this thread. I am also happy to see a more balance impression like Audionewbie. However, after this banter, my point is I would not question anything before I have actually heard the ASG2. They are not in my priority list, but my curiosity might get the better of me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back