[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
Jul 15, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #1,546 of 7,021
Quote:

The core of the TS series is shorter than average. It is the shallower insertion that tames the peak, not the foam. You forget that the core itself is made of the same material as ordinary tips.

From Rin's analysis of the H-200:

I tried shallow and deep insertion with various silicone tips, and the effect wasn't the same; in addition, my insertion with the Complys is fairly deep, as they don't stay in my ears so well otherwise (being rather bulbous). 

Jul 15, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #1,547 of 7,021

You and I both know that your only "concern" here is that you ordered the SD3 from Thomman a few days ago. If you'd like to file suit against my comparison, go ahead and get your hands on a ASG-2. Otherwise, please relax.

You are totally correct, I want just to highlight a point that disturbed me, the infamous Comply foam used for the comparison, at least for me :)

I will leave your thread and I have no doubt that the ASG2 are very very good IEM just to expensive in my country and I hope that the SD3 are not to bad, anyway I can return it without problem to Thomann if I dont like it or if I have fitting issue, it's a good shop.

Most important we have to enjoy music and our gears.

Jul 15, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #1,548 of 7,021
Quote:

You are totally correct, I want just to highlight a point that disturbed me, the infamous Comply foam used for the comparison, at least for me :)

Like I said, I noticed no ill effects from the TS500.

I will leave your thread

I'm not asking you to leave. I'm just saying I understand enough about iems to do a fair comparison. I try to avoid bias in any way possible (not saying that I succeed all the time). I literally have a box full of tips, and I spent some time rolling with the SD3. I found the TS500 to be the best sounding of the bunch, as well as not creating a vacuum seal. I even have a pair of sawed off T-500s that I also use, but I like the TS500 more.

Jul 15, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #1,550 of 7,021
Since the beginning, I have been intrigued by the ASG 2. Several headfiers I trust found the very first ASG1 to be the worst iem they have ever owned. After comes the ASG2 and at first, only people I do not know owned them, so I had my doubts on their extreme enthusiasm.

First post says the 1.2 had been his fav, then until 2 weeks ago ie800 and currently asg-2, carlsan sees sd3 above asg 1.2 and ultrazino and others sd3 above ie800...how can sd3 be 1, 2 tiers below asg-2? You can compare the sd3 to the 334s...

Jul 15, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #1,551 of 7,021
Quote:
Since the beginning, I have been intrigued by the ASG 2. Several headfiers I trust found the very first ASG1 to be the worst iem they have ever owned. After comes the ASG2 and at first, only people I do not know owned them, so I had my doubts on their extreme enthusiasm. And now other people such as Eke or to a lesser extent ShotgunShane seem to praise them. Eke seems to think that it bests the 1plus2 which to me is among the best 2 I have heard, with the se5. I am not sure my taste would match Ekes but I respect the work done on this thread. I am also happy to see a more balance impression like Audionewbie. However, after this banter, my point is I would not question anything before I have actually heard the ASG2. They are not in my priority list, but my curiosity might get the better of me.

From what I've heard about the ASG-1.0, it is very possible. However I loved the ASG-1.3. It wasn't perfect, but it was really good. All it needed was a treble boost for me to be one of the best IEMs I've owned to date. And the ASG-2s will probably go above and beyond that.

Quote:

I will leave your thread and I have no doubt that the ASG2 are very very good IEM just to expensive in my country and I hope that the SD3 are not to bad, anyway I can return it without problem to Thomann if I dont like it or if I have fitting issue, it's a good shop.

Most important we have to enjoy music and our gears.

From what I've read from Eke and others... The SD3 are really fantastic, and competitively priced. However, according to Eke, they are just a step or two below that of the ASG-2s. 

Jul 15, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #1,552 of 7,021
First post says the 1.2 had been his fav, then until 2 weeks ago ie800 and currently asg-2, carlsan sees sd3 above asg 1.2 and ultrazino and others sd3 above ie800...how can sd3 be 1, 2 tiers below asg-2? You can compare the sd3 to the 334s...
You cannot judge like this. There is no accounting for taste and among top iems it is a matter of taste as much as performance. I for one think the 334 are nice but do not like them much on account of slow decaying bass. I think the IE800 would be close to perfection without the ultra boosted bass. The SD3 is close in sound sig to the 334, but the sd3 had tighter bass from memory, but the mids and overal detail are not as good. All this is to my ears, with my sources and my music, taking into account tastes qmand mood... so things are not so simple.

Jul 15, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #1,553 of 7,021
My view on Ex-1000 vs ASG-2:

I do not think of ASG-2 as an upgrade from EX-1000 it is more of a side-grade. In terms of bass quantity ASG-2 offers more due to the bass port but in terms of comfort EX-1000 wins. However this is based on the assumption that we are listening in a quiet home area. 

I need to say I use EX-1000 exclusively at home simply because of its non existing isolation. The two iem are not clone of each other as ASG-2 sound changes significantly by adjusting the bass port. But when the bass port is closed to my ears ASG-2 share the same sound as EX-1000 but with a little more bass quantity. The bass quality to my ear is a little better on EX1000 but that requires dedicated listening and quiet possibly perhaps that is matter of taste.

To my ears I  find EX-1000 more comfortable for long term listening physically than ASG-2. ASG-2 is very easy sounding IEM that will not cause any fatigue however each ear is different and to my ear EX-1000 feels more comfortable physically. Sound wise well I have no problem with EX-1000 but than again I do not hear above 17 khz and ex-1000 seem to have a treble spikes that might be discomforting for some.

One strange thing that I have noticed on ASG-2 is the soundstage. For chamber music it is just perfect, it is incredibly open and 3D however at the same time I sense that it is way over-exaggrating things. While this tuning became a positive thing for chamber music for other genera it can become too unrealistic. Also for trance music I feel the dynamic driver is not fast enough but than again EX-1000 is not doing that much better however I feel EX-1000 is much better at dealing with trance music. So yes it is a good accident to have, this over-exggration seem to be impact the soundstage of the chamber music I listen to nicely, they add an echo that I like but sadly this tunning carries on to other genera of musics. 

ASG-2 is not what I go for when I listen to rock.

As I said before the bass port of the consumer is not that useful, however it is a good option to have. 

Nice impressions. Thanks for posting them. I can't comment agreeing with much since I don't have or have heard the EX-1000 but I do have a few general comments.

• You seem to like the bass port closed. In my very short time playing around with it. I got the feeling that the dynamic driver needed to breathe a little to sound it's best in the low end. Opening it up even a tiny bit seemed to tighten up the bass but it also caused very large increases in bass quantity so it's a tradeoff if you don't want a ton of bass.
  • The soundstage thing is odd since I actually hear it on the more conservative side, especially next to the best I've heard. I feel like its due to shortish decay but that would be a guess. This makes it sound like every "room" the music is playing in is well dampened.
  • You have the CK100pro which is no doubt a fast BA from what I've read. The ASG-2s dynamic driver is incredibly fast across the bass and midrange to my ears, easily keeping up with any BA based I've heard and has no problem whatsoever with any of the vocal trance tracks I have on hand. Could you perhaps throw out a song name or even PM me a name so that I could see what you mean. What it doesn't really try to do in my limited listening is try to separate instruments as much as possible. Could this be what you mean?

Thanks once again.
That's disappointing, I have thought that the asg-2 is 4 tiers better than tf10 and se535, 2 tiers above sd3 and the se846 is propably going to be 16 tiers above them all.

I knew I smell some bull... reading the comparisons with the ie800 and togo334.

It just doesn't fit. The asg-2 won't meet my bass expectations, eke seems to be shy when it comes to bass response... all in all I couldn't care less...still fun to read how different the opinions are.

Lol at the tiers joke. Trust me, openening up the bass port even 1/8th of the way and the bass levels are significant, both in extension and in quantity. The amount of subbass rumble at 20Hz using a sine sweep was staggering. I have no doubt it goes below that with ease unless it drops off a cliff immediately below 20Hz.

I also have the IE800 in my possession right now and I almost want to say that they are cut from the same cloth (for anyone interested in a preview), having a similar sonic character :wink:, which for those about to jump the gun does not mean tonality or frequency response. I'm still listening for their strengths and weaknesses but the only really easy win for the IE800 is comfort and how cool it is that they engineered the crap out of that tiny dynamic to get that kind of sound out of it.

I can easily see people not liking the sound of the IE800 but to be easily disappointed with its performance is hard to believe, tbh.

Jul 15, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #1,554 of 7,021
I'll start with this: the ASG-2 is definitely a completely different IEM than the ASG-1. There is almost absolutely no comparison.

Second, there is absolutely no shortage of bass and in my opinion the bass ports do in fact make a tremendous difference in the perceived sound. Even a small fraction of a turn changes both the bass presence and presentation of these monitors.

I believe the above is the reason for all the conflicting impressions of these headphones, because we all might as well be talking about different units if we all have the ports at a different setting. I know some of you think the bass ports are a bunch of hooey, but this is what I'm hearing now.

There is ample bass with the bass ports closed, and with them opened a hair, there is the possibility to satisfy even the biggest bass head, without loosing the sparkle.

Personally at 80 something hours of burn in, I am still finding these somewhat hot in the treble area, with the male vocals in some of my favorite albums highly sibilant. I'm crossing my fingers that it will mellow out, because the sound of the ASG-2 is actually pretty fantastic.
It carries weight across the whole spectrum in a way I haven't heard before, and makes everything else I own and once loved seem thin.

Just my opinions. I just wanted to clear up the various different opinions for those that don't have them yet. These are damn good IEMs, and while they are apparently not for everyone, they are definitely worth consideration.

Jul 15, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #1,555 of 7,021
i am sad i cannot try either of them and paying just to try them out does not smile to me, too much money will be wasted since reselling is always a loss.

since it seems people cannot agree here what would be interesting to do:

you get three users (Eke and two more) to spin a few popular recordings listening with ASG2 and SD3.

then each of them must not tell the others how he felt but they go home and put their impressions on paper.

third, when describing them (IEMs) the listeners should try to describe actually how particular composition sounded rather than talking about amounts of bass and else. basically that would mean talking about deepness of guitar riffs, energy and punch depth of drums, richness of honky tonky piano, full mellowness of violins etc etc..........

then we will know for sure.

so far there are only two reviews each with different musical material... from my experience there might be music my V1 would do better and then H200 would do better another type of music... the only one i heard which does it all is 1+2... i cannot say which one is better because budget and listen preferences would determine that. for me 1+2 easily beats them all but i met James444 and listened to his K3003 and i could see why for him K3003 was his choice. there are too many nuances to go with bold conclusions.

but if you want critical comparison this would be best working in the way i desribed.. and remember, describe only music and instruments and voices... not bass or trebles per se....

let me give one example. right now i listen to B.B.King with RDB+v1 C3 and BH and i can only say it again, wonders how acoustic sounds on this rig... then i did the same with H200 yesterday and loved it too while i find H200 to be more universal ... but i would pick V1 for acoustic at all times... still when it comes to rock and else i find H200 to be more full sounding and forgiving. this is so bad now that i scratch my head thinking about which of them will have to go. i put the add for V1 but might take it away ...

what i mean? it can happen both ASG2 and SD3 will fit many users but it will always depend what music and how you listen. so easiest way do this comparison is like i told.
it was once done similar way (like i described) for DACs in UK, i read results from that comparison and it helped me a lot when i was looking for DAC. i think Keith from Purite Audio organised that DAC audition.

since i understand many headfiers in America it would be easier to do it this way.

wink_face.gif
L3000.gif

Jul 15, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #1,556 of 7,021
Quote:
i am sad i cannot try either of them and paying just to try them out does not smile to me, too much money will be wasted since reselling is always a loss.

You'll get to hear the ASG-2 in a few weeks, that is if you and James can find time to meet. I'll be sending him my pair before I go to Jamaica on the 28th.

Jul 15, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #1,557 of 7,021
Quote:
From what I've heard about the ASG-1.0, it is very possible. However I loved the ASG-1.3. It wasn't perfect, but it was really good. All it needed was a treble boost for me to be one of the best IEMs I've owned to date. And the ASG-2s will probably go above and beyond that.

ASG-1s were improved a lot from rev1.0 to rev1.3. ASG-2 have more treble than ASG-1 rev1.3 indeed, and the former sound clearer although ASG-1 rev1.3 is not shy on charity.

Jul 15, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #1,558 of 7,021
It would fit on the SD3, but I don't advise it because it has the protruding foam that will negatively affect the sound. The SD3 doesn't need any extra warmth. Use the TS400

Oops misread. Yeah I can confirm the sd3 fits t400 too

So does the asg2 fit any comply?

Jul 15, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #1,559 of 7,021
Quote:
Oops misread. Yeah I can confirm the sd3 fits t400 too

So does the asg2 fit any comply?

Yes, the 500 series fits perfectly and stays on a little better than on the SD3.

My personal favorite tips at the moment are the Auvios. The green core ones have a more barrel shaped design, which allows for easier insertion than the more bulbous ortofons.

Jul 15, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #1,560 of 7,021
Quote:
I would have, but he said he wouldn't be willing to, given the distance.

This is Carlsan's pair. He also owns the ASG-2, so he can also give his comparison when I send it back, if you don't trust mine.
That would be the ASG-2.

Eke, I didn`t realise Carlsan had the ASG-2, only thought he was borrowing yours. It`s a shame that in his SD3 review there was no mention of the ASG2, which I would have thought there probably should have been?
http://www.head-fi.org/products/inear-stagediver-sd-3/reviews/9221

It is a good read folks and pretty much how I hear the SD3. I suppose more reviews between the 2 are definitely required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back