[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
Jul 15, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #1,517 of 7,021
Quote:
I think he meant ASG2.

i suppose so but was fun asking, sorry for leg pulling
beerchug.gif

Jul 15, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #1,518 of 7,021
Quote:
i suppose so but was fun asking, sorry for leg pulling
beerchug.gif

The thing is they are both very different IEMs in terms of sound signature. The EX1000 would be more on the neutral side in comparison. It would be interesting to hear more comparison though between these two but at the same time since they are quite different it could be harder to do that.

Edit: I think Audionewbi owns both. Maybe he could chime in :wink:.

Jul 15, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #1,519 of 7,021
My view on Ex-1000 vs ASG-2:

I do not think of ASG-2 as an upgrade from EX-1000 it is more of a side-grade. In terms of bass quantity ASG-2 offers more due to the bass port but in terms of comfort EX-1000 wins. However this is based on the assumption that we are listening in a quiet home area. 

I need to say I use EX-1000 exclusively at home simply because of its non existing isolation. The two iem are not clone of each other as ASG-2 sound changes significantly by adjusting the bass port. But when the bass port is closed to my ears ASG-2 share the same sound as EX-1000 but with a little more bass quantity. The bass quality to my ear is a little better on EX1000 but that requires dedicated listening and quiet possibly perhaps that is matter of taste.

To my ears I  find EX-1000 more comfortable for long term listening physically than ASG-2. ASG-2 is very easy sounding IEM that will not cause any fatigue however each ear is different and to my ear EX-1000 feels more comfortable physically. Sound wise well I have no problem with EX-1000 but than again I do not hear above 17 khz and ex-1000 seem to have a treble spikes that might be discomforting for some.

One strange thing that I have noticed on ASG-2 is the soundstage. For chamber music it is just perfect, it is incredibly open and 3D however at the same time I sense that it is way over-exaggrating things. While this tuning became a positive thing for chamber music for other genera it can become too unrealistic. Also for trance music I feel the dynamic driver is not fast enough but than again EX-1000 is not doing that much better however I feel EX-1000 is much better at dealing with trance music. So yes it is a good accident to have, this over-exggration seem to be impact the soundstage of the chamber music I listen to nicely, they add an echo that I like but sadly this tunning carries on to other genera of musics. 

ASG-2 is not what I go for when I listen to rock.

As I said before the bass port for the general consumer is not that useful, however it is a good option to have. 

Jul 15, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #1,520 of 7,021
That's disappointing, I have thought that the asg-2 is 4 tiers better than tf10 and se535, 2 tiers above sd3 and the se846 is propably going to be 16 tiers above them all.

I knew I smell some bull... reading the comparisons with the ie800 and togo334.

It just doesn't fit. The asg-2 won't meet my bass expectations, eke seems to be shy when it comes to bass response... all in all I couldn't care less...still fun to read how different the opinions are.

Jul 15, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #1,521 of 7,021
Quote:
My view on Ex-1000 vs ASG-2:

I do not think of ASG-2 as an upgrade from EX-1000 it is more of a side-grade. In terms of bass quantity ASG-2 offers more due to the bass port but in terms of comfort EX-1000 wins. However this is based on the assumption that we are listening in a quiet home area. 

I need to say I use EX-1000 exclusively at home simply because of its non existing isolation. The two iem are not clone of each other as ASG-2 sound changes significantly by adjusting the bass port. But when the bass port is closed to my ears ASG-2 share the same sound as EX-1000 but with a little more bass quantity. The bass quality to my ear is a little better on EX1000 but that requires dedicated listening and quiet possibly perhaps that is matter of taste.

To my ears I  find EX-1000 more comfortable for long term listening physically than ASG-2. ASG-2 is very easy sounding IEM that will not cause any fatigue however each ear is different and to my ear EX-1000 feels more comfortable physically. Sound wise well I have no problem with EX-1000 but than again I do not hear above 17 khz and ex-1000 seem to have a treble spikes that might be discomforting for some.

One strange thing that I have noticed on ASG-2 is the soundstage. For chamber music it is just perfect, it is incredibly open and 3D however at the same time I sense that it is way over-exaggrating things. While this tuning became a positive thing for chamber music for other genera it can become too unrealistic. Also for trance music I feel the dynamic driver is not fast enough but than again EX-1000 is not doing that much better however I feel EX-1000 is much better at dealing with trance music. So yes it is a good accident to have, this over-exggration seem to be impact the soundstage of the chamber music I listen to nicely, they add an echo that I like but sadly this tunning carries on to other genera of musics. 

ASG-2 is not what I go for when I listen to rock.

As I said before the bass port of the consumer is not that useful, however it is a good option to have. 

Really? Why? Too much mid-bass or something like this?

Jul 15, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #1,522 of 7,021
Quote:
That's disappointing, I have thought that the asg-2 is 4 tiers better than tf10 and se535, 2 tiers above sd3 and the se846 is propably going to be 16 tiers above them all.

It just doesn't fit. The asg-2 won't meet my bass expectations, eke seems to be shy when it comes to bass response... all in all I couldn't care less...still fun to read how different the opinions are.

To me, as a potential customer, all these different impressions are getting more and more confusing :D

Jul 15, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #1,523 of 7,021
Quote:
Really? Why? Too much mid-bass or something like this?

Perhaps it is matter of taste. I listen to a lot of gensis and peter gabriel and I only seem to enjoy it from CK100PRO. I think CK100PRO for its current $499 is going to offer more versatility for across genera music than ASG-2 but once again for chamber music I will consider ASG-2 over CK100PRO but for the rest CK100PRO can hold its ground with ease.

To me the magic of ASG-2 is for outdoors and that is where I use it most, at home I tend to use other gears but out doors I like the extra bass. It seems to do the job it is designed for which is been used at noisy places. 

Jul 15, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #1,525 of 7,021
Quote:

I don't know about that. The ASGs are apparently not bass light in any way shape or form. I'm pretty darn sure they would please any bass head. Going off from Mimouilles impressions of the SD3 it sounds like a very interesting IEM. Pretty much my sound signature preferences are along the lines with Mimouille and if he doesn't find the SD3 to be overly bassy (yet still bassy) I believe him. My main problem with the 334 was how long the bass lingered and for me that made it so much more noticeable and distracting. I didn't like that aspect of them. With the 8As depending on the source (pretty much most sources I tried) they sounded way way too bassy for my preferences.

Jul 15, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #1,526 of 7,021
Quote:
Perhaps it is matter of taste. I listen to a lot of gensis and peter gabriel and I only seem to enjoy it from CK100PRO. I think CK100PRO for its current $499 is going to offer more versatility for across genera music than ASG-2 but once again for chamber music I will consider ASG-2 over CK100PRO but for the rest CK100PRO can hold its ground with ease.

To me the magic of ASG-2 is for outdoors and that is where I use it most, at home I tend to use other gears but out doors I like the extra bass. It seems to do the job it is designed for which is been used at noisy places. 

Totally agree. This is why I really enjoyed the 8As when cleaning or cooking :wink:.

Jul 15, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #1,528 of 7,021

I see in the pictures that you have used Comply foam tips for the SD3 comparaison and silicone one for the ASG2. For me comply tips are altering the sound a lot, I have never used it for this reason, I prefer a bad fit at the end.

This can bias a lot the result, did you have try the SD3 with silicon tips also ?

I used the Comply TS500, which doesn't affect the frequency response, due to the lack of the extended piece of foam past the nozzle. The TS500 sits flush with the nozzle.

Quote:
You mean the conclusion that the asg-2 is THE UBERSUPERDUPER In-Ear everyone have to buy probably not being true?

If you're going to thread crap, please try harder/smarter. Just because you own the SD3, doesn't mean you have the right to weigh in on something you haven't heard. There have been several others who can back up my claims, and Carlsan gets his back soon. I have nothing to prove to you, and if you're going to act like this, stay the hell out of my thread.

Quote:

See the above.

Jul 15, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #1,529 of 7,021
Quote:

I personally find the ASG-2 perfect for rock. The bass, combined with the awesome texturing of distortion guitars leads to a very satisfying experience.

Jul 15, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #1,530 of 7,021
Quote:
I used the Comply TS500, which doesn't affect the frequency response, due to the lack of the extended piece of foam past the nozzle. The TS500 sits flush with the tips.

In my long quest for the perfect fit I have try all many Comply, with and without the cerumen filter,  both alter the sound and it's very noticeable for me, this is due to the small holes in the material, they are fine for comfort and isolation, to solve fit issues also, finaly we have all different ears :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back