Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
Jan 22, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #1,921 of 2,480
Good to hear that. I've been waiting for the upgrade. Though I wonder what it will cover.

He didn't mention it but i asked him what concero will be updated and he said it will concern every Concero from standard to HD. I'm curious what it will be.

Jan 23, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #1,923 of 2,480
Id love them to make version double the size... width etc. With RCA out, Balanced XLR and a properly powered headphone amp. Would gladly spend $1500-1600usd on one. The Invicta is way out of my price range.

Jan 23, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #1,924 of 2,480
I understand that folks are pining for some new/different form factors in the Concero line, but is this based on info or just a "we wish" list?

back the software update for the Concero line:
am hoping for either some new filters or maybe some increase in jitter-proofing the usb packets?
also
hoping Resonessence Labs isn't having issues with a new Firmware updater for the Mac, as other vendors have been trying also, found OS X and USB bugs, reported them to Apple and progress stalls.

that being said, Concero HD has been my primary DAC for some time and love it as is.

Jan 23, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #1,925 of 2,480
I have been recommending the Concero to a lot of people, but most also want XLR outputs for future proofing. I don't really care for a headphone amp, but XLR outputs and perhaps an optical input would be nice features to have. Doesn't look like the small form factor is a big draw card for many, but I particularly enjoy taking out the small DAC at Hi-Fi shops and enjoying the startled looks, especially once the music starts flying!

Jan 23, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #1,926 of 2,480
Mine is more of an "I wish list" due to the fact i dont really want to purchase the Concero HP and use up 2 USB ports. The only all in one unit i owned was the DACmini and in my opinion the Concero sounds quite a bit better. Having balanced outputs has never really interested me, but who knows what the future holds in this hobby. Would be awesome to see some sort of update to the "Concero Line" its the perfect price to performance ratio ive seen. 

Jan 24, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #1,927 of 2,480
Mine is more of an "I wish list" due to the fact i dont really want to purchase the Concero HP and use up 2 USB ports. The only all in one unit i owned was the DACmini and in my opinion the Concero sounds quite a bit better. Having balanced outputs has never really interested me, but who knows what the future holds in this hobby. Would be awesome to see some sort of update to the "Concero Line" its the perfect price to performance ratio ive seen. 

I'm hoping the update will narrow the gap and bring it even closer to the Invicta. This way I can stop yearning for the big brother.

Jan 24, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #1,928 of 2,480
  I have been recommending the Concero to a lot of people, but most also want XLR outputs for future proofing. I don't really care for a headphone amp, but XLR outputs and perhaps an optical input would be nice features to have. Doesn't look like the small form factor is a big draw card for many, but I particularly enjoy taking out the small DAC at Hi-Fi shops and enjoying the startled looks, especially once the music starts flying!

I suspect there are a ton of people who love the small form factor. They are usually the type of folks who don't necessarily post about it much, but I hear from them via PM and email sometimes. 

I do see a certain charm in making a "wishlist" of features. Resonessence Labs folks do read this thread from time to time so it's good to help them see what people want, and then see how it lines up with their current development. 

Hey, there's an idea - start a whole audio company based on people's wishlists and speculations! Maybe we can even get them to put up the cash in advance.... oh wait, that's already been done? Ok nevermind. 

Jan 24, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #1,929 of 2,480

I suspect there are a ton of people who love the small form factor. They are usually the type of folks who don't necessarily post about it much, but I hear from them via PM and email sometimes. 

I do see a certain charm in making a "wishlist" of features. Resonessence Labs folks do read this thread from time to time so it's good to help them see what people want, and then see how it lines up with their current development. 

Hey, there's an idea - start a whole audio company based on people's wishlists and speculations! Maybe we can even get them to put up the cash in advance.... oh wait, that's already been done? Ok nevermind. 

^^ I think that's already been done with iFi Audio and LH Labs! 
biggrin.gif

Well I'm 100% sure they've got their own customer feedback and product improvement systems they rely on. I think a lot of people who have headphone rigs really enjoy the small form factor, but imho it could use a little more weight to keep the DAC from lifting into the air when using some heavy duty type interconnects. Personally I don't care about the XLR outputs either, but they would have been nice to use with some headphone amps or preamps that sound better over XLR, but they make it tough to keep the compact form factor. The optical input would have been nice to be able to use it with with an Apple TV or other streamers making for a tidy compact DAC/streamer stack. I definitely think there's scope for a Concero+ in the $1200-1500 region. I certainly would buy it, the Mirus and Invicta are too far into high end to stretch that far and then personally I'd prefer to buy something that was available a local dealer.

Strangely, many of the people I've demo'ed the Concero to, love the sound, but look like they want a DAC that is more substantial looking... Most audiophiles where I live are more into speaker systems and the larger and more sophisticated it looks, the better.

Jan 24, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #1,930 of 2,480
M2C, it seems is that RLabs would not make something that they feel isn't class-leading in terms of performance, so they're likely reluctant to make an all-in-one unit that does both headamp duties and XLR/RCA output, as that would probably necessitate two different DAC boards like the Invicta does, and in that case, people should just get an Invicta (budget willing). Even if they used the SABRE9018AQ2M instead of the ES9018S, it'd cost nearly as much to get it to their performance standards, so a "super Concero HP/HD" would be close to the Invicta in cost, just sans the SD card function and balanced/dual headphone output --- guessing it'd be on the order of around $3500, close to the price of a discounted Invicta (older version). They could probably make a Concero HD version with XLR outputs pretty easily, though that would depend on how many people actually are willing to buy a DAC with just a single pair of XLR outputs.

Jan 24, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #1,931 of 2,480
Ok... To everyone who is interested.

I just queried Mark. He told me that they are working on a Product which will be between the Concero HD and Mirus.

My excitement for the year just stepped up a notch... This could not come sooner. Just hope its priced right and has the goods :D

Jan 24, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #1,932 of 2,480
  Ok... To everyone who is interested.

I just queried Mark. He told me that they are working on a line of DAC's which will be between the Concero HD and Mirus.

My excitement for the year just stepped up a notch... This could not come sooner. Just hope its priced right and has the goods :D

Nice!!
i'm really curious. And he said line of DAC's :D
IMO it should be done that way that you make a reference dac and then you make a budget version of it with SQ close to the Reference model but as cheap as possible.

Jan 24, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #1,933 of 2,480
Woops, Apologize for my mistake... I had to edit that and mention "Product". Saying a line of dac's was a bit over the top!

Cant wait to hear/see what they have in store! My excitement got to me a wee to much hahahaha

Jan 24, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #1,935 of 2,480
Ok this just happened :D  

Quote:
August Joel....this will be our second product for 2015..Can't say much about the first yet, but this will hit the market in April. Thank you for your support it is appreciated.
Mark M

On 1/24/2015 3:04 PM, joelt wrote:
Hi Mark,  
Appreciate the reply! Im an avid Head-fi user and there's still quite a few people who love the little Concero such as myself. 

This is great to hear as i would love to see something with a few more options in place.

The Invicta seems like a wonderful unit, but im after something with smaller form factor as my space is limited. Which is why i purchased the Concero.

Thank you for the reply and im pretty darn excited to hear what you have in store!

regards, Joel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back