Reply to some bugs of X3’s new firmware and new function suggestions from our end-users!
Nov 11, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #46 of 190
I am on the latest firmware, the only issue that is really noticeable for me at this time is when I skip forward to the next track, it will often skip 2 tracks at once even though the button is only pressed once and the odd thing is the info displayed is not for the track playing but the track before it. For example, if I am playing track 1, I skip and it goes to track 3 but displays the info of track 2. I have to skip back then forward again to get it to play the desired track. This happens about 85%-90% of the time so although it is intermittent, it does happen the majority of the time. I am using a SanDisk 32 GB Micro SD card if that makes any difference and a mix of FLAC and MP3 CBR and VBR.

Nov 12, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #47 of 190
I have the same problem too ...
For the rest, everything is perfect for me
etysmile.gif

Nov 15, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #49 of 190
Hi James, I have also tracks, which hang and then the player skips them, but the player shows the skiped track and not the one which plays. If you skip back they usually play. That bug is not really hard to handle, but you might want to fix it. After I updated to the latest firmware all external data was invisible for the player. I had to copy it from card to hd, formated the external card (SanDisk 64GB) in the player (didn't test if that's really necessary) and copied them back. After that procedure all was back visible.
The DAC feature is amazing in the new firmware. It works out of the box with Debian Wheezy and the sound is fantastic. I can compare it with an Echo 2 audiointerface, I use for recording and playback on another debian machine and the X3 sounds just as good as the expensive Echo 2.

A tip for linux users: Disable pulseaudio and use alsa directly, pulseaudio can handle only two samplerates dinfineable through a config file. All other rates are resampled to the default value. Alsa doesn't do that if not told to do. You have to do some config for alsa to work with all programs, but that's easy and I can post a alsa config that works fine with all applications execpt those with a open Al backend. (Really rare backend).

I'm really glad I bought the X3, it rocks!!

Nov 16, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #50 of 190

The PC has a AMD 890GX chipset with a SB850 southbridge and the USB 2.0 ports are part of that chipset, there's also a Renesas controller which does USB 3.0. The problem is persistant with both kinds of USB ports, plugged directly into the back of the PC. I suspect the problem is related to the Cool'n Quiet feature of the AMD chipset as my GuitarRig 3.0 USB controller (which is a USB interface and controller for the Guitar Rig software) also gives me similar crackles as long as CPU scaling is active, once I set the energy option to high performance (which deactivates the CPU scaling) the crackling noises go away.

This doesn't help with my X3 problem though, seems like the X3 DAC isn't too fond of AMD chipsets.

Still have this problem, even if you described it two weeks ago? Because I use AMD A75 chipset which isn´t terribly different from yours. Just as on your PC, all energy saving features are fully activated. I don´t have any crackling. Have you tried the DPC Latency program by Thesycon? Maybe it´ll give you some indication if it´s really the USB chipset / Southbridge.

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #51 of 190
hello,

there is a bug still present from old firmware which annoying me a bit.
when you go on browse file --> micro SD and choose to browse with fold the alphabetic order is not respected.

(image missing)
(image missing)
file order :
13b-
13c-
13b-
13b-
13c-
13c-
13c-
13a-
13a -

you can see 13a come under 13c for exemple.
and there is no logic for this :/
it would be very good to fix this :)

ps : a user already ask for a faster text speed even after last upgrade so + 1 :)

thx
Benjamin

edit : picture not showing

Nov 18, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #52 of 190

Still have this problem, even if you described it two weeks ago? Because I use AMD A75 chipset which isn´t terribly different from yours. Just as on your PC, all energy saving features are fully activated. I don´t have any crackling. Have you tried the DPC Latency program by Thesycon? Maybe it´ll give you some indication if it´s really the USB chipset / Southbridge.

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

Thanks for your feedback concerning the other AMD chipset. I'm aware of the latency checker, I use a number of other USB audio devices on this computer without any problems, Guitar Rig 3 controller, Focusrite iTrack, a Behringer USB mixer, Fiio E10, Fiio E7 with Fiio E9, none of which cause any trouble and latency will all of those is low. Same when playing 192/24 files with foobar using ASIO or WASAPI, it's not a latency problem obviously but something else.

I've disabled Cool'n Quiet in the Bios, disabled every other audio device, unplugged everything else from the USB ports, turned off all energy saving features - my computer doesn't like the Fiio X3 it seems.

Tried today again at work on a Intel Core i3 system and it works flawlessy, no crackles or pops anywhere with the same files so I'm fairly confident there's nothing wrong with my X3. Will be interesting to see if the next FW update fixes the problem.

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #53 of 190

Thanks for your feedback concerning the other AMD chipset. I'm aware of the latency checker, I use a number of other USB audio devices on this computer without any problems, Guitar Rig 3 controller, Focusrite iTrack, a Behringer USB mixer, Fiio E10, Fiio E7 with Fiio E9, none of which cause any trouble and latency will all of those is low. Same when playing 192/24 files with foobar using ASIO or WASAPI, it's not a latency problem obviously but something else.

I've disabled Cool'n Quiet in the Bios, disabled every other audio device, unplugged everything else from the USB ports, turned off all energy saving features - my computer doesn't like the Fiio X3 it seems.

Tried today again at work on a Intel Core i3 system and it works flawlessy, no crackles or pops anywhere with the same files so I'm fairly confident there's nothing wrong with my X3. Will be interesting to see if the next FW update fixes the problem.

Strange. Have you activated the 'HPET Table / Event Timer / whatever'? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Precision_Event_Timer

It´s supposed to stabilize data streams (especially multimedia) through the system. Some sites suggest to turn it off to improve processing power (others suggest to turn it on - so it might not do anything). I myself ran into problems when turning it off just to try what might happen (yes, on occasion I´m stupid).

Where did you plug the FiiO in? I once measured my external Creative card while other USB devices were connected to the same internal hub (residing on the mainobard itself) the Creative was connected to. It measured considerably worse and didn´t function as well. 

I´ve also plugged the X3 right next to Creative for a first glance at the DAC function. The whole PC became unresponsive the moment the FiiO was supposed to play music. This disappeared when using another port (-> that internally led to another hub).

Finally, one post by JoeBloggs suggests that the X3 might have some problems on certain PCs:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/651769/the-fiio-x3-thread/6405#post_9985333

Nov 19, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #54 of 190

Strange. Have you activated the 'HPET Table / Event Timer / whatever'? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Precision_Event_Timer

It´s supposed to stabilize data streams (especially multimedia) through the system. Some sites suggest to turn it off to improve processing power (others suggest to turn it on - so it might not do anything). I myself ran into problems when turning it off just to try what might happen (yes, on occasion I´m stupid).

Where did you plug the FiiO in? I once measured my external Creative card while other USB devices were connected to the same internal hub (residing on the mainobard itself) the Creative was connected to. It measured considerably worse and didn´t function as well. 

I´ve also plugged the X3 right next to Creative for a first glance at the DAC function. The whole PC became unresponsive the moment the FiiO was supposed to play music. This disappeared when using another port (-> that internally led to another hub).

Finally, one post by JoeBloggs suggests that the X3 might have some problems on certain PCs:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/651769/the-fiio-x3-thread/6405#post_9985333

Turning HPET off in the Bios makes everything worse.
atsmile.gif

I've tried every USB port on that PC, USB v2 and USB v3, different cables, doesn't make a difference.
I'm pretty sure it's a problem with the FW (as indicated by JoeBloggs post) and probably/hopefully will be adressed in one of the next FW updates. The problem also exists with a ASUS EEEPC that has another AMD chipset with a dual-core CPU, so it's not just an isolated problem with this one machine.

The tracks play fine in the beginning and after a short while the clicking noises (sounds like you are listening to vinyl..) begin and subsequently are present even with files with a lower sampling rate, playing around with buffer length for ASIO or WASAPI in foobar or in the driver control panel. doesn't alleviate the problem.

Thanks for caring, I'll report back if/when the problem gets resolved with one of the subsequent FW updates.

Nov 19, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #55 of 190

Turning HPET off in the Bios makes everything worse.
atsmile.gif

I've tried every USB port on that PC, USB v2 and USB v3, different cables, doesn't make a difference.
I'm pretty sure it's a problem with the FW (as indicated by JoeBloggs post) and probably/hopefully will be adressed in one of the next FW updates. The problem also exists with a ASUS EEEPC that has another AMD chipset with a dual-core CPU, so it's not just an isolated problem with this one machine.

The tracks play fine in the beginning and after a short while the clicking noises (sounds like you are listening to vinyl..) begin and subsequently are present even with files with a lower sampling rate, playing around with buffer length for ASIO or WASAPI in foobar or in the driver control panel. doesn't alleviate the problem.

Thanks for caring, I'll report back if/when the problem gets resolved with one of the subsequent FW updates.

I asked all of this because I have the same problem with an old laptop of mine that´s running Win XP. It´s a laptop from 2004 and I think that its USB chipset (although USB 2.0) is too old. But apparently, age isn´t an issue but the X3 itself.

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #56 of 190

I asked all of this because I have the same problem with an old laptop of mine that´s running Win XP. It´s a laptop from 2004 and I think that its USB chipset (although USB 2.0) is too old. But apparently, age isn´t an issue but the X3 itself.

Happy to report that with FW 2.1 (released today) all my previous problems with USB DAC performance on the AMD systems are gone!
All hail to the Fiio FW developer(s)!
beerchug.gif

Works flawlessy now even on a powered USB2 hub, I'm a happy camper.

Nov 23, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #59 of 190
  Nicely done Fiio!

...but do you mind if you can update the first post of this thread to reflect what's (not) done with FW 2.1? (sweat) Thanks!

updated

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 23, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #60 of 190
Subscribed

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back