Reply to some bugs of X3’s new firmware and new function suggestions from our end-users!
Oct 16, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #16 of 190
  Something need more feedback about the firmware of X3 in the future. 

3, About the rockbox support, it is too early to discuss this , but it is possible and the time is depended on when we have time.

^^^^ This !
Once that Rockbox support is available, 90% of the fixable and also UNfixable problems listed in all X3 threads will be solved, and a bunch of extra features will be there (replay gain? done; Parametric EQ? done; crossfeed? done) :wink:
It would be a killer move, as it would probably be the best DAP with rockbox (maybe together with some HiFiMANs).

Oct 24, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #17 of 190
Unrealizable functions or unsolvable problems due to software framework and the base limit:
8. Under play interface, it can’t remember its store path after several returns (go back to main menu, then back to play interface, and then click the back button again.
When the “Memory Play” is on, it can’t remember current playing song’s store path after double switching on and off.

Hi all, I am a happy new owner of this great X3 (incredible sound !) from a couples of days, but I am annoyed by several strange bugs and I was wondering if this is related to the above item 8 (that I do not fully understand).

I have firmware 1.31, "Memory Play" set to "Position" and "Gapless Playback" set to On.

These cases are not working correctly:
1/ For some albums, the 'memory play' fails; when I shutdown X3 while it's playing or after pause+auto-shutdown, when I power ON the X3 again, the position is completely lost (nothing seems to be memorized, it returns to the Main menu). This problem is not systematic on all albums and I just tried to understand why; this occurs mainly on classical albums — maybe the longer length of the track path has an impact? What is the limitation on this? I saw that firmware 1.31 fixed a problem on the limit of the folder number, but does the X3 still has problems about this?
Here is an example path of a problematic track, in the SD card : Classique\American & English\Edward Gregson\Gregson - Music Chamber Orchestra - A Song for Chris, etc\03-Music for Chamber Orchestra - III. Adagio mesto e sostenuto – Poco più mosso – Tempo I-LLS.flac

2/ I know that the soon-to-come firmware will fix several problems with gapless, but I would like to know if this test case was covered:
a FLAC multiple-files gapless album is first playing fine (i.e. two tracks chains nicely). Then I shutdown the X3 while it is playing a track (any in the middle of the album). I turn X3 on again, the play resumes, but then the gapless playing is lost (despite it still appears at ON in the options); there is systematically a pause between the next tracks of the same album. If I stop and restart the play at that track, then the gapless is working fine again for next tracks.
OK, this 2/ is solved with FW 2.05, released while I was trying to write this. Great improvment !
But problem 1/ is still present.

Oct 27, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #18 of 190
I would like to have the possibility to set Italian language 
normal_smile .gif

Thanks,

Mattia

Oct 28, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #19 of 190
  I would like to have the possibility to set Italian language 
normal_smile .gif

Thanks,

Mattia

I second your request.

In the mean time you can repack the firmware using the Firmware Tool FiiO provided and substitute an unused language with one of the following:
for FW v2.05: http://www.sendspace.com/file/gzku19
for FW v1.31: http://www.sendspace.com/file/b2hmtq

JamesFiiO, is it acceptable for you to collect user content to be added in a future FW release? We could open a thread for collecting languages, for example.

Oct 29, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #20 of 190
  I second your request.

In the mean time you can repack the firmware using the Firmware Tool FiiO provided and substitute an unused language with one of the following:
for FW v2.05: http://www.sendspace.com/file/gzku19
for FW v1.31: http://www.sendspace.com/file/b2hmtq

JamesFiiO, is it acceptable for you to collect user content to be added in a future FW release? We could open a thread for collecting languages, for example.

I can offer myself for the Italian traduction of all the menus.

Oct 29, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #22 of 190
  I have firmware 1.31, "Memory Play" set to "Position" and "Gapless Playback" set to On.

These cases are not working correctly:
1/ For some albums, the 'memory play' fails; when I shutdown X3 while it's playing or after pause+auto-shutdown, when I power ON the X3 again, the position is completely lost (nothing seems to be memorized, it returns to the Main menu). This problem is not systematic on all albums and I just tried to understand why; this occurs mainly on classical albums — maybe the longer length of the track path has an impact? What is the limitation on this? I saw that firmware 1.31 fixed a problem on the limit of the folder number, but does the X3 still has problems about this?
Here is an example path of a problematic track, in the SD card : Classique\American & English\Edward Gregson\Gregson - Music Chamber Orchestra - A Song for Chris, etc\03-Music for Chamber Orchestra - III. Adagio mesto e sostenuto – Poco più mosso – Tempo I-LLS.flac

I use the same configuration and experience the same issue. Memory play fails with a lot of longer (classical) tracks.

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #23 of 190
James, thanks for being open to suggestions and implementing features that users want. Folder jump and a crossfeed option like the one Rockbox has including the Meyer crossfeed would be awesome to have. The same goes for a parametric equalizer.
Fiio X3 & Rockbox = You won't be able to produce enough X3s to satisfy the demand.
beerchug.gif

BTW the new USB DAC functionality in the latest FW update is most appreciated and works great except for 192/24 which crackles and pops some, tried it on 2 different computers with the included USB cable and two other cables.
I'm using foobar with wasapi and alternatively asio, changing the buffer length doesn't really make a difference.

Edit: Just tried it on my PC at work (Win 7, 64bit like the above mentioned systems) and 192/24 works without the crackles and pops, main difference is the affected PCs are AMD based, the PC at work is a relatively recent quad-core Intel system. Go figure. :D

Oct 30, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #24 of 190
James, thanks for being open to suggestions and implementing features that users want. Folder jump and a crossfeed option like the one Rockbox has including the Meyer crossfeed would be awesome to have. The same goes for a parametric equalizer.
Fiio X3 & Rockbox = You won't be able to produce enough X3s to satisfy the demand.
beerchug.gif

BTW the new USB DAC functionality in the latest FW update is most appreciated and works great except for 192/24 which crackles and pops some, tried it on 2 different computers with the included USB cable and two other cables.
I'm using foobar with wasapi and alternatively asio, changing the buffer length doesn't really make a difference.

Edit: Just tried it on my PC at work (Win 7, 64bit like the above mentioned systems) and 192/24 works without the crackles and pops, main difference is the affected PCs are AMD based, the PC at work is a relatively recent quad-core Intel system. Go figure. :D

I don't get the crackles/pops on my MacBook Pro either, whether running OSX (natively), Linux ((via VM) or Windows (via Bootcamp or VM). Of course the Mac is also Intel based so perhaps it's something unusual about the AMD chipset. The other factor to consider is the chipset used to supply the USB connection - on most Intel based motherboards, some USB ports are usually provided by the native Intel chipset. Others are often provided by specific USB chipsets from NEC or Renesas. What's used for the USB ports on your AMD systems?

Dale

Oct 30, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #25 of 190
I don't get the crackles/pops on my MacBook Pro either, whether running OSX (natively), Linux ((via VM) or Windows (via Bootcamp or VM). Of course the Mac is also Intel based so perhaps it's something unusual about the AMD chipset. The other factor to consider is the chipset used to supply the USB connection - on most Intel based motherboards, some USB ports are usually provided by the native Intel chipset. Others are often provided by specific USB chipsets from NEC or Renesas. What's used for the USB ports on your AMD systems?

Dale

The PC has a AMD 890GX chipset with a SB850 southbridge and the USB 2.0 ports are part of that chipset, there's also a Renesas controller which does USB 3.0. The problem is persistant with both kinds of USB ports, plugged directly into the back of the PC. I suspect the problem is related to the Cool'n Quiet feature of the AMD chipset as my GuitarRig 3.0 USB controller (which is a USB interface and controller for the Guitar Rig software) also gives me similar crackles as long as CPU scaling is active, once I set the energy option to high performance (which deactivates the CPU scaling) the crackling noises go away.

This doesn't help with my X3 problem though, seems like the X3 DAC isn't too fond of AMD chipsets.

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #26 of 190
Alright, im on FW2.05. This is probably the weirdest thing in the world and I have no clue how anyone will verify this.

I have gapless mode on, flac files, using browse mode. on Track 4, 3 minutes, 29 seconds, the player skips to track 5. I have no clue why. I can reproduce the issue too, I can fast forward track 4 over to any point after 3:29 and the player completely goes bonkers, freezes up, and starts playing track 5 instead.

Nov 3, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #27 of 190
@shrimants

Hi everyone I'm new here, & love my X3.

However, with gapless on, and using a sandisk 16gb (class 10) card, I too have experienced some occasional odd behaviour with f/w 2.05 when fast forwarding and skipping tracks. For instance on occasion I will ff and when the X3's display shows it has (or should've) reached the end of a given track, it should  (as it normally does) continue onto the next track. But I've found that somewhere around one in ten or fifteen times - it'll keep playing on the same track that I've supposedly fast forwarded to the end of it (& this can happen when ff'ing not just to the end but also when ff to near the end of a given track) !? In other words, when such happens, it's just as if the fact that I've just fast forwarded to the track's end has been ignored by the X3.

At other times, I might skip a couple of tracks and then my X3 will suddenly cease playing. So I hit the pause button and then the play button but still no sound, silence, so, usually, when that happens I just hold down 'fast-forward' a little and then release and all is fine again - the X3 restarts where I've just fast forwarded - as if it needed (on occasion) a little push to get started. Very odd behaviour
blink.gif
which I can only hope will be addressed in following f/w.

Re new functions that I'd like to see - how about more category options such as by 'recently added', "most played", "least played", "highest rated" ? And also it'd be nice if a crossfade option (if possible) could be included too please.

Nov 3, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #28 of 190
I figured out the reason for the problem: Apparently there were MANY flac files that got corrupted while being transferred. I've verified the integrity of them on my PC and they are fine. After transfering to the X3 they developed sync errors and such. I formatted the card using guiformat and bootice, and windows told me there were errors. Next I tried formatting using the x3 firmware and again I got the same errors, so something is wrong with the way x3 and this utility are formatting things. Maybe windows did some sort of update that makes it want a specific format for each allocation block or soemthing, I dont know.

Now I have to re-transfer all of my music to my card, and I'm not really bothering to do this until I get a card reader in the mail because the X3 can barely transfer at 2.5MB/s, and I really dont want to sit around for 3.5 hours waiting for music to get onto the player. I dont know WHAT fiio was thinking when they made that design decision, they really should have chosen a faster chip or they need to fix that in software. im 90% sure its a hardware related thing though. I'd gladly pay more for a device that had all the minor details polished to gleaming perfection rather than this 200 dollar device that seems too good to be true and turns out to be exactly that.

I'll do another format using the firmware itself, do a scan/fix with windows, and then do the file transfer. Hopefully everything works out ok. i'll have to let you know tomorrow how it goes though, as my music wont be transferred until then. I'll start the transfer tonight.

Nov 3, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #29 of 190
I figured out the reason for the problem: Apparently there were MANY flac files that got corrupted while being transferred. I've verified the integrity of them on my PC and they are fine. After transfering to the X3 they developed sync errors and such. I formatted the card using guiformat and bootice, and windows told me there were errors. Next I tried formatting using the x3 firmware and again I got the same errors, so something is wrong with the way x3 and this utility are formatting things. Maybe windows did some sort of update that makes it want a specific format for each allocation block or soemthing, I dont know.

Now I have to re-transfer all of my music to my card, and I'm not really bothering to do this until I get a card reader in the mail because the X3 can barely transfer at 2.5MB/s, and I really dont want to sit around for 3.5 hours waiting for music to get onto the player. I dont know WHAT fiio was thinking when they made that design decision, they really should have chosen a faster chip or they need to fix that in software. im 90% sure its a hardware related thing though. I'd gladly pay more for a device that had all the minor details polished to gleaming perfection rather than this 200 dollar device that seems too good to be true and turns out to be exactly that.

I'll do another format using the firmware itself, do a scan/fix with windows, and then do the file transfer. Hopefully everything works out ok. i'll have to let you know tomorrow how it goes though, as my music wont be transferred until then. I'll start the transfer tonight.

Sorry to hear you and some others are having problems. So far my experience has been nearly flawless (not bragging, most of my few probs have been user error). It's funny how some people have no issues and others are swamped by them.
Are you sure it's not your sd card that isn't buggered? How are you doing your transfers? If you use drag and drop then TeraCopy will check the files to make sure nothing is corrupted. Seems to work for me.
I do agree that the transfer speed leaves a lot to be desired (seems to be an issue with other players too). Actually makes me kinda glad the X3 only has 8GB internally. Even still, I can get 'bout 4MB/s on my laptop through USB, around 3x faster using the built-in card reader (a must have as far as I'm concerned).
Hope you get things sorted out.
Cheers

Nov 3, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #30 of 190
An external card reader (usb 3.0 enabled) is only like 8 bucks, free shipping, so im not terribly distraught about it. Its not like the microsd card is hard to insert/remove like it is in my phone, where i have to take off 2 layers of casing (defender series otterbox) and then the backing of the phone, and then make sure i dont get fingerprints on the screen or the inside of the case.

I know what happened, more or less, to cause the corruption. its not really a fiio problem, i think. Basically, i used windows to do the formatting the first time, then drag and dropped the files over. Everythign was fine at this point. Later, I did the firmware update. Everything was probably still fine at this point. Then I plugged it into my work laptop (also running win7 x64), which reported that there were problems with the microSD card. I hit "fix" because otherwise it wouldnt let me access the card. This is probably where things got screwy.

I'm pretty sure if i drag and drop things over now that nothing wrong should happen to the files, but im also certain that there is some disparity with the 32K allocation size and windows itself, because regardless of if bootice/guiformat utliity does the formatting or if the fiio firmware does the formatting, windows always reports that the volume is dirty and needs to do a "scan and fix" operation. That scan and fix operation is what screws everything up.

The solution (workaround) is to do the format, then plug in and get the dialog to do the scan/fix, and THEN do the file transfer.

However, if any other PC has a problem reading the card after that point, its a better idea to unplug the device than it is to try to read the data on the card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back