Recommendations on $400 or less amp (First Amp!)
Apr 3, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #16 of 48
I would avoid any model based on the Darkvoice 336 or 332. To my ears those (great) amps are very Senn-specific, and not ideal for the K701. The M^3 is the best K701 amp I've heard under your budget--there should be no shortage of bass quantity, anyway. It does well with Audio-Technica, but is not great with Grado, and kind of boring with Senns. I thought I read here that the Hi-Fi Man EF5 was similar to the M^3 (being a MOSFET design?). Don't quote me on that. My personal experience tells me it's hard to find an amp to do great things for a wide range of headphones from many manufacturers.

Apr 4, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #17 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnderX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went to the website for the Audio-GD Fun and came back supremely confused. I don't understand how much a complete setup would be. I see all the extra parts and prices but nothing for the main like motherboard component or anything like that so I have no idea of even a price range.

It's $400 shipped for version A which is complete. You can add some discrete OPAs for 20 something.

Apr 4, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #18 of 48
I agree with the previous posters about headphones. The HD650s just sound a lot better than the K701s and there are a lot more amps at all price ranges that were "voiced" using Sennheisers, from the $200 Original Master to the $2200 Zana Deux.

That said, if you want to stick with the K701s, I would probably go with a solid state amp over a tube amp if your budget is $400. Tube rolling can get expensive and Darkvoice and other cheap Chinese tube amps seem to be "starter" amps that have a tendency to fail or become noisy over time.

Audio-Gd has such a big fan base here that you can probably try one of their amps and then sell it if you don't like it at a small loss. I doubt you would be able to sell a Shanling, for example, without taking a big loss.

As far as sources, I would look on Audiogon for a good used DAC. MHDT used to be a favorite around here, although you don't hear as much about that company anymore. You can probably pick one up for a song...I suspect the same will happen with Audio-Gd if you are patient.

Apr 4, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #20 of 48
Quote:

I'm looking to buy my first real headphone amp. All I have right now is a stereo receiver and too many headphones.

Headphones are: AKG K701, Shure SRH-840, HFI-780, AD700, JVC RX900 and RX700.

I also have plans to later pick up SR225i and ESW9.

I need some recomendations for amps around the $400 mark, that will need include shipping, unless than shipping is super cheap.

I'm looking at Hi-Fi Man EF5, Shanling PH300, Darkvoice 3322...ect.
Also is it better to shoot for the $400 or is there not a huge improvement from the $250 or so mark with amps like Qinpu A3, Hi-Fi Man EF2, Starving Student Mini Millet? In other words is that $150-200 better spend on say...another pair of headphones?

I own the 701 840 Jvc900 and denon 1001 and use a Litlle Dot MK11 with great results. I also use the super tube 6H30PI with mullard 8100 so total cost with tube upgrade was 260 shipped to me. I see no reason to upgrade as it sounds that good.

Apr 4, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #21 of 48
I'd collect cans, shovel snow, eat beans and give blood to somehow scrape together another 100 bucks and buy the PS Audio amp while it's still on sale at about 500 bucks.

Apr 4, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #22 of 48
I just got quoted on a price for the audio-gd fun and it came to $438 which isn't bad. How many people think I should pull the trigger on that or do we have some other selections?

Apr 4, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #23 of 48
Depends on how crazy you are in the this hobby. At your current level, the Fun should be fine. It's a DAC/Amp, it'll take care of your momentary needs, it's even tweakable if you want a different sound. But if you see a HD800, a LA7000, a Meridian CD player and lots of fancy interconnects in your future, save up for the GCHA and start planning for the next component in your chain.

Apr 4, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #24 of 48
Quote:

I just got quoted on a price for the audio-gd fun and it came to $438 which isn't bad. How many people think I should pull the trigger on that or do we have some other selections?

IMHO, audio-gd is a "flavor of the month" right now. I think you'd be better served with something that has a track record that goes back years, like the M^3.

Btw, nothing wrong with your 701s, but I still think you should get an additional pair of headphones before spending money on an amp.
dt880smile.png

USG

Apr 4, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #25 of 48
I am also looking at amps (and somewhat, DACs as I find it hard to tell how good my current one is) in this price region.

My key criteria is very good performance at low volume (i.e. *no* channel imbalance, nice prat and good dynamics) which I assume would be helped by adjustable gain. The cheapest option would obviously be to simply lower gain on my NG98 so that I can actually use it as amp
biggrin.gif

I don't think I care to deal with tube hunting etc so I will go solid state. My current favorites are
* KICAS (could not yet figure out how much it would cost shipped to Switzerland, assuming something like 400USD, could not yet figure out what PSU it needs)
* Matrix M-Stage (shipped 270USD) very good review from project86 plus I can switch gain roll opamps and Jeffrey is very good to deal with
* Audio GD C2C (something like 340USD shipped)
Edit: Also add Sheer Audio HA-006 (Dynalo build) for approx 300USD

And then there's the E9 who nobody knows when it will come or how good it will be but potentially a game changer in the sub 200USD bracket.

DAC/Amps
* Audio GD FUN (thoroughly confusing me, plus I already have an USB DAC Amp limited to 48khz)
* Matrix Mini-I, I don't like the soldered opamp and it currently is also limited to 48khz on USB - would probably wait for the MKII said to allow 96khz later this year.

This will be using to drive a D2000 with J$ Pads (whenever the package gets here, soon hopefully) and perhaps a HD600 or HD650 down the line.

Apr 4, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #26 of 48
If, later down the track, you're going to invest in a DAC to connect between the amp and your computer, I'd get an amp. An amp isn't so great if all you're using is your computer as a source. If you just want one box that does everything, then the Fun. Ignore the bits, there are two default set-ups for it, A-mode and B-mode, the former with the better bits, and is subsequently more expensive. The idea, I gather, with all the options is to have "fun" playing around with how they change the sound.

Apr 4, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #27 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
M^3, CKKIII, Sheer Audio 006+ (Dynalo)

^Truth!

The best buy out of all those is the Sheer Audio 006+. I have it personally, and I would say it is great. The only thing is I wish I had gotten a lower gain, I use HF-2 mainly and soon to be JH-13 and really want a gain of 2 or 3. I might even buy another just to get the lower gain and sell this one.

Apr 4, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #28 of 48
BaboonGuy: Would you know any page with detailed specs of the HA-006? I am also wondering if one could get it with switchable gain...

Apr 4, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #29 of 48
Well I bought mine from here: Acoustic-Fun

I would recommend PM'ing Maniac on here, that's his name IIRC. I believe he runs that website and builds and sells the HA-006+. Or his e-mail might be listed somewhere on that site too, that might be a good way. He's pretty responsive too... I'm curious too, if you find out please update us with a reply
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #30 of 48
Quote:

I went to the website for the Audio-GD Fun and came back supremely confused. I don't understand how much a complete setup would be. I see all the extra parts and prices but nothing for the main like motherboard component or anything like that so I have no idea of even a price range.

I know exactly how you feel. Once you navigate it a bit, it becomes less confusing...I remember the first few times, I wanted to pull my hair out....lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO, audio-gd is a "flavor of the month" right now. I think you'd be better served with something that has a track record that goes back years, like the M^3.USG

That is exactly how I felt USG. Audio-GD came onto head-fi and I thought- "Here we go again, another FOTM, we'll see how long this will last, etc. etc...
So I dismissed it and waited, waited, waited. Then after a little while I thought "Hmmm, not only is everyone that purchases these products very happy with them, but this Kingwa individual is pumping out all kinds of gear. So, I waited and waited..."Hmmm, more gear..."

I finally started a thread because my curiousity got the best of me and wanted to try these products, but as the OP stated, there was just so many configurations to these products that I was lost. So, with a little help from head-fiers and communication with Kingwa, I pulled the trigger on a couple of products.

It has been about three weeks since I received the gear and have been very very pleased with my purchases....
beerchug.gif

In case you want a looksy at the thread I started before I purchased- http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/aud...-begin-475983/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back