Recommendations on $400 or less amp (First Amp!)
Apr 3, 2010 at 3:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

EnderX

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to buy my first real headphone amp. All I have right now is a stereo receiver and too many headphones.

Headphones are: AKG K701, Shure SRH-840, HFI-780, AD700, JVC RX900 and RX700.

I also have plans to later pick up SR225i and ESW9.

I need some recomendations for amps around the $400 mark, that will need include shipping, unless than shipping is super cheap.

I'm looking at Hi-Fi Man EF5, Shanling PH300, Darkvoice 3322...ect.
Also is it better to shoot for the $400 or is there not a huge improvement from the $250 or so mark with amps like Qinpu A3, Hi-Fi Man EF2, Starving Student Mini Millet? In other words is that $150-200 better spend on say...another pair of headphones?

Apr 3, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #2 of 48
Also...I really don't know of many SS amps in that price range, any sound good for the 'phones I got?

Apr 3, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #3 of 48
I've heard the LaFigaro 332 and it was a good amp with high impedance 'phones, but my heart is at the $500-600 range for SS right now. Those I'm interested in are indicated in my sig, additionally in the States there's a great deal on a GCHA ($500 from $1000 at release) right now. In addition, the Elekit Tu-882 (assembled or kit) seems to be the cheapest transformer coupled tube amp I know of, and therefore is a good option for low impedance phones, but I'm still trying to get my hands on a unit to sample.

As for the $250 range, I have my doubts, but no personal experience. Threads such as "The High End Headphone Myth" and "Does a good stereo receiver count as a "headphone amp"?" seem to indicate a stereo receiver, depending on model, may well best a $250 amp; it's best you decide for yourself.

Apr 3, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #4 of 48
maybe a woo audio 3? im not sure. my first amp was a little dot and it was great for the price. keep in mind, tube prices for tube rolling in your budget. dont kid yourself, if you go tube, you will tube roll.
if i had 400 and couldnt find a woo audio 3, id look into a little dot IVse

Apr 3, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #5 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by debitsohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maybe a woo audio 3? im not sure. my first amp was a little dot and it was great for the price. keep in mind, tube prices for tube rolling in your budget. dont kid yourself, if you go tube, you will tube roll.
if i had 400 and couldnt find a woo audio 3, id look into a little dot IVse

I'd be careful with OTL amps though, OP has some low impedance phones, and OTL isn't too good with them (see Tube FAQ, some posts which might be useful, it's often repeated...)

Apr 3, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #7 of 48
An M^3 should hold you for a long time.

I agree that the 701s are a no go with the basic Woo3 (I have both).

OTOH, you will get the biggest improvement with new headphones.

Pick up a pair of DT880s or even better, Senn HD650s. The difference between your 701s and 650s will be far more dramatic than any amp upgrade you can buy, at any price.

USG

Apr 3, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #9 of 48
I went to the website for the Audio-GD Fun and came back supremely confused. I don't understand how much a complete setup would be. I see all the extra parts and prices but nothing for the main like motherboard component or anything like that so I have no idea of even a price range.

Apr 3, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #10 of 48
M^3, CKKIII, Sheer Audio 006+ (Dynalo)

Apr 3, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #11 of 48
Sound like no one seems to like the few amps I listed at the start of thread.

Apr 3, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #13 of 48
I suppose so and it would also get used with my vaio laptop and my PC. I could always pick up an inexpensive dac too right?

The KICAS Caliente sound like it fits the bill in the SS department, what about a tube amp?

Apr 3, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #14 of 48
What do you guys recommend for sources?

Apr 3, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #15 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnderX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you guys recommend for sources?

There's always the Pico DAC/Amp. Great alternative for a laptop.

I'd skip the KICAS unless you can pick one up for $250. I auditioned one and it was not in the same league as my Woo3 or M^3.

I still want to say that you're not going to hear the kind of day and night difference from an amp upgrade as you would from a new headphone.

Oh, if no one said it yet, sorry about your wallet.

USG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back