Rate the video games you're currently playing
Jan 6, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #4,787 of 6,943
Playing New Vegas with Project Nevada mod.  Still downloading the enhanced textures.  Haven't done much of the main quest as I'm just doing the never-ending amounts of side quests.  The only open world rpgs I've played before were GTA III and SA which were much smaller in scope.

I was also playing Vampire the Masquerade on my crappy old laptop before building my new pc, still needs to finish that and not even halfway through it.  The soundtrack is great.

Jan 6, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #4,789 of 6,943
  Playing New Vegas with Project Nevada mod.  Still downloading the enhanced textures.  Haven't done much of the main quest as I'm just doing the never-ending amounts of side quests.  The only open world rpgs I've played before were GTA III and SA which were much smaller in scope.

I was also playing Vampire the Masquerade on my crappy old laptop before building my new pc, still needs to finish that and not even halfway through it.  The soundtrack is great.

Grand Theft Auto games aren't RPGs, so I guess you mean the only open world games you have ever played?  If you like New Vegas just for the open world exploration then you should love Fallout 3 which has a much more intricately designed open world, although New Vegas actually has strong writing unlike Fallout 3 (especially the expansions).  New Vegas is without doubt among the top 3 most ambitious single player games ever made. 

Jan 6, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #4,790 of 6,943

Grand Theft Auto games aren't RPGs, so I guess you mean the only open world games you have ever played?  If you like New Vegas just for the open world exploration then you should love Fallout 3 which has a much more intricately designed open world, although New Vegas actually has strong writing unlike Fallout 3 (especially the expansions).  New Vegas is without doubt among the top 3 most ambitious single player games ever made. 

FO 3 and NV are pretty and all, and NV does have a good story line. They still can't beat the story line and sheer pleasure of playing FO2, IMO.

Jan 6, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #4,791 of 6,943
Started playing Skyrim for the first time like a week ago... I haven't seen the sun for a week, this is the most addicting game I have ever played. There are so many "missions/quests" and with hundreds of mods out there you can add more and make it look spectacular. Cant believe I had never played it before (not into RPGs normally and I always thought this was like a D&D spinoff which didnt help).

Jan 6, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #4,792 of 6,943

Yeah I meant open world games.  I wish NV had vehicles like in GTA to make short distance traveling faster, especially since a lot of the quests involve a lot of running (after traveling via the map).

Jan 6, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #4,793 of 6,943
  Started playing Skyrim for the first time like a week ago... I haven't seen the sun for a week, this is the most addicting game I have ever played. There are so many "missions/quests" and with hundreds of mods out there you can add more and make it look spectacular. Cant believe I had never played it before (not into RPGs normally and I always thought this was like a D&D spinoff which didnt help).

Yep, so you prefer action RPGs as do most people.  If you like Skyrim then you should also love Fallout 3 (made by the same people), Fallout: New Vegas, and of course Oblivion and Morrowind.

Quote:
  Yeah I meant open world games.  I wish NV had vehicles like in GTA to make short distance traveling faster, especially since a lot of the quests involve a lot of running (after traveling via the map).

Vehicles would be a convenience in New Vegas although if you use mods that greatly enhance the open world (NV Interiors, A World of Pain, and Invisible Wall Remover) then you probably won't want to drive past stuff.  The same goes for Fallout 3 even without mods; GTA is more about travelling while Fallout (and The Elder Scrolls) is more about exploring every corner since you'll never know what you'll find (and there is always something to find... except in New Vegas without these mods).

Jan 6, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #4,794 of 6,943
I did the same thing, but about two years after it was released. Finally caved in and gave it a shot, and it became a top 5 all-time game for me. I still itch to get back in and run around in it.

While I liked Fallout 3 a lot, New Vegas was my favorite of the series. Pretty sure it was Vault 11 that did it. The writing in that game was incredible, and that vault wasn't even a part of the main, or any separate storyline. It was just a self-contained experience. Awesome game.

In regards to new games, I was lucky this Christmas, and got Mordor, AC Unity, Alien:Iso, CoD:AV, Halo:MCC, and Dragon Age:Inquisition. I played a little of all of them, and they're all shaping up to be great. Currently going through the Halo campaign again. Will probably save DA:I for last, as it feels like another Skyrim.

Jan 6, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #4,795 of 6,943
For some reason, I've totally ditched Dragon Age:Origins and a lot of my other games for one game and one game only: Kerbal Space Program. After reading lots and lots of tutorials online, I built my first Moon base, among other things. Then I looked up mods, grabbed MechJeb, FAR, KAX, and BDW and now I spend my days creating weaponized planes to dominate the airspace.

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #4,797 of 6,943
  Played a couple levels of Crysis 3 SP, I think the game has a lot of potential (good AI, gorgeous graphics on max settings) but so far the level design is very mediocre if not outright poor.

I actually started that recently and played the first hour.  I agree about the level design, it feels like they really tried to make the action sequences like Call of Duty.  As a whole the game is just extremely repetitive, the first game is infinitely better.  I get zero enjoyment out of Crysis 3 but I expected this; I only bought it as a tech demo, since it was $6 or something on Origin.

Jan 8, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #4,798 of 6,943

I actually started that recently and played the first hour.  I agree about the level design, it feels like they really tried to make the action sequences like Call of Duty.  As a whole the game is just extremely repetitive, the first game is infinitely better.  I get zero enjoyment out of Crysis 3 but I expected this; I only bought it as a tech demo, since it was $6 or something on Origin.

I've only played the first CoD and Modern Warfare, but both of those had pretty interesting and varied level designs and gameplay.

Jan 8, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #4,799 of 6,943
  I've only played the first CoD and Modern Warfare, but both of those had pretty interesting and varied level designs and gameplay.

I was mostly referring to the ones after CoD 4 (Modern Warfare), although the first level on Crysis 3 was actually better than the first one in CoD 4 (both were set on ships during a stormy night).  The older CoD games were good, especially CoD 2.

Jan 9, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #4,800 of 6,943
COD 2 was great, but everything after MW has been pretty much crap. I haven't played any after Black Ops though.

I picked up the new Wolfenstein from Steam sales, and after a few hours I must say it's a very entertaining game. One of the best shooters of recent years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back