Rank the IEM's you've heard
May 10, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #3,001 of 5,177
I think it's just two single diaphragm DD's in an "isobaric" chamber, which I think is just an enclosure so they can be set up in a push pull configuration.

Think it's just one diaphragm per, but the DDs are set up in an isobaric config.

Understood. I guess the way it’s advertised is a little janky. Push pull makes sense to maintain constant pressure.

May 10, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #3,002 of 5,177
Understood. I guess the way it’s advertised is a little janky. Push pull makes sense to maintain constant pressure.
I owned that pair for a little while. Was actually slightly underwhelmed by the bass. I found it was more ba like than I was hoping from a dual dd setup. Lots of cool tech in that pair though especially for the price.

Keep forgetting to add it to my list in this thread.

May 10, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #3,003 of 5,177
I know I sound like a broken record if you look at various threads, but...

AAW x TCA Project 4+2. Dual DD isobaric woofers, 3 FIBAE BAs for mids and highs, 1 NOVA BA super-tweeter. $750. Trickle down tech from both companies' flagships. Bass port modules let you tune the sound a bit, too. Shell may be too big for very small ears, but otherwise amazing. Bass has great rumble and slam, mids aren't scooped out, highs are fairly detailed without being grating.
thanks will look into that

May 10, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #3,004 of 5,177
1. IER-Z1R
2/3. Andromeda OG=Andromeda 2020
4. U12T
5. Anole VX
6. VE8
7. Solaris
8. Blessing2
9. Illumination
10. Airpods Pro
11. Galaxy Buds+
12. Blon 03
13. MH755
14. Viento-B (Universal)

Definitely biased against Andromeda since they were my first entry into high-end IEMs, but also absolutely loved how well they worked with the type of music I listen to. Viento in universal shell was just straight up sibilant for me, thought I was gonna lose my hearing after a 2-3 hour listening session.

May 12, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #3,006 of 5,177
Sony IER-M9 is not a TOTL?

Isn't it on the same level as Andromeda 2020 and MEST OG?

These are the three IEMs I am considering for purchase.
I believe most would say the IER-Z1R is Sony's top of the line.

May 12, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #3,008 of 5,177
Sony IER-M9 is not a TOTL?

Isn't it on the same level as Andromeda 2020 and MEST OG?

These are the three IEMs I am considering for purchase.

The M9 was marketed as a stage monitor and has a really flat/reference type sound. It's not at all the sort of sound I go after personally and as such I would choose any one of the IER Z1R, OG MEST or Andromeda 2020 over it. However people who are after the sort of sound the M9 puts out rate it quite highly so depending on your tastes it may or may not be a good choice for you.

May 12, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #3,009 of 5,177
I would go with:

Inear Stage Diver 3
Westone 4
Klipsch X10
Westone 3
Westone 2
Denon AHC700
Sennheiser IE8
Shure 535

Last edited:
May 13, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #3,010 of 5,177
My preferred IEMs, why and noteworthy remarks in a few words.

I'm currently in-between the first two entries (which tells a lot as far as this hobby's concerned) though the Nio has a lot going for it... despite its price and stock cable (luckily I had some Bitcoin dust which paid for a PlusSound SPC cable).

I use silicone tips for all IEMs.

✕​

1. 64 Audio Nio / $1699 + The price of a good SPC cable of your choice so more like $2000+

Musical, detailed, versatile, comfortable — the later two thanks to the apex modules

Worthy of note: stock cable is a disgrace at this price point / the least tip-sensitive IEM I ever tried and, therefore, an easier recommendation to others whom are more likely to hear what I hear regardless of their preferred tips
Via: Shanling M6 Pro in single-DAC mode, single-ended

2. Shanling ME700 / $559

Analogue, tube-like sound

Worthy of note: marvellous package incl. the four most common cable terminations as well as tips to fine-tune the sound
Via: Shanling M6 Pro in single-DAC mode, balanced

3. Gaudio Clariden / $850

Detailed yet musical underdog, extremely well-layered with little to no fatigue, impressive

Worthy of note: open your mind, eyes and ears, there's something else than the big brands and chi-fi out there
Via: Astell & Kern SR25, single-ended

4. Campfire Audio Dorado 2020 / $1099

Amazingly coherent hybrid with a treble which might sound a bit harsh

Worthy of note: there's better and cheaper out there

5. Campfire Audio Andromeda Special Edition: Gold / $1299

My first entry into TOTL territory

May 13th, 2021, update​

List updated and re-ordered:
  • Campfire Audio Solaris 2020 added (settling my Nio & ME700 in-betweenness);
  • 64 Audio Nio removed (apex module finally a no-go, too smooth, too expensive for what I got out of them).
Additional comments made on previously-listed IEMs are underlined and corrections are striked-through.

Shanling M6 Pro is definitively a step-up from Astell & Kern SR25 (power, UI, tuning).

✕​

1. Campfire Audio Solaris 2020 / $1499

Link to write-up (not doing reviews per se anymore)
Musical rather than analytical, natural yet detailed with some texture and not too smooth

Worthy of note: this is it, nicely done
Via: Shanling M6 Pro in single-DAC mode, single-ended

2. Gaudio Clariden / $850

Detailed yet musical underdog, extremely well-layered with little to no fatigue, impressive

Worthy of note: open your mind, eyes and ears, there's something else than the big brands and chi-fi out there, benefits from powerful, warm(er) sources
Via: Astell & Kern SR25 & Dethonray Honey H1 (mainly), single-ended

3. Shanling ME700 / $559

Analogue, tube-like sound

Worthy of note: nozzle is unfortunately too short for me, marvellous package incl. the four most common cable terminations as well as tips to fine-tune the sound
Via: Shanling M6 Pro in single-DAC mode, balanced

4. Campfire Audio Andromeda Special Edition: Gold / $1299

My first entry into TOTL territory

Worthy of note: there's better and cheaper out there, too V-shaped, needs more mids

5. Campfire Audio Dorado 2020 / $1099

Amazingly coherent hybrid with a treble which might sound a bit harsh

Last edited:
May 13, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #3,011 of 5,177
I just recently upgraded my interconnects in my system from Kimber Kable PBJ to Kimber Kable Hero XLR.
Now that my GS-X mini and my Chord Hugo TT2/M-Scalar are not bottlenecked by the old Kimber Kable,
I can hear how deep, detailed, and smooth my IEMs really are. I've always known that somethings were
holding back the Hugo TT2/ M-Scalar. After cleaning up the power with Sanups A11H power conditioner
ups and upgrading the power cables. I can say with that all the improvements haven't been way overkill
for IEMs. I am very happy with the results, but now find AK Sp2000 Cu is just not as entertaining as it used to
be with these IEMs. The SP2000 is good, but not brilliant any more.

1) Noble Khan using Wagnus Aureole: Very lifelike with capabilities to easily sound like a sitting in a small
lounge in front of a jazz quartet. Easily reproduces venue ambiance sounds and tracks movement of the
musicians and vocalists movements. Nice realistic depth of the rendition that doesn't sound like a poor
audio engineer creating a composite of several tracks that just doesn't make logical sense or sound like
it actually was not performed together. Pianos are particularly well rendered from true live jazz recordings.
Female vocalists sound lively and have very little boxy resonance sound like from poorly designed closed back headphones.

1.5) 64 Audio U18t paired with Wagnus Aureole: Always hard to decide which I prefer. The performance of the
midrange and upper bass region of the spectrum is really exceptional and slightly more entertaining than the Khan.
I suppose it depends on the pitch of the singer on which IEM I prefer. Younger and more soprano the voice, I prefer
the U18t. Or if more is going on with the bass, the 64 Audio might be more interesting to contrast the Khan with.
Although this is more expensive, I find that the illusion of being there isn't quite as good as the Khan with
my overkill desktop. I will also admit that 50 year old ears probably benefit from a bit more brightness of the Khan.
For sources that are not as well balanced, the 64 Audio U18t is a better choice as it hides more of the flaws in the
system.

2) 64 Audio U12t paired with Gold & Silver Noble: Comparatively ranked with the Khan and U18t, I find it
to be a very good IEM deserving it's high reputation. There is a great deal of detail, but I find that the "sound"
must resort to trickery to get the illusion of large sound stage. By recessing specific regions of the midrange to
make the bass sound deeper and the treble region to sound more spacious is different and fine for instrumentals, but
this leaves me with the impression the vocalist is much further away and I am not hearing the full range of their
voice. In that respect, I believe the U18t is slightly too warm. I also find the resolution of the U12t is not of the same
level as the U18t or the Khan.

Surprisingly, all three of these IEMs scale very well. So far, I have not found that the IEMs have a limit to improvement
that can be passed onto them from improving the source. I continue to be surprised at what these IEMs can expose
with improvements in my desktop. Alas, I don't think I can ever enjoy a DAP again.

May 13, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #3,013 of 5,177
It’s time for a 2021 revelation update...

1. Oriolus Traillii
2. Empire Ears Odin
3. Empire Ears Legend X
4. 64 Audio U18s
5. 64 Audio Trio
6. 64 Audio Fourte Noir

Haven’t heard Erl or Ely but assume they’d be up there if I had.

Surprised you don't have any Campfire IEMs in your list. YMMV I guess.

May 15, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #3,015 of 5,177
01.Solaris Gold (Analog Tuning, V.Large Soundfield)
02.64 audio u18t (Details+Tuning quality)
03.1670ss + NWZ Taekyo (Mid-bass, Mids, treble, Soundfield)
04.64 audio u12t (+best all rounder, -$$$$)
05.Penon Orb (Bass+Mids)
06.EIR-Z1R (Endgame Treble)
07.Andromeda 2018
08.kse1500 (Details)
09.W80
10.Intime Sora

01.Solaris Gold (Analog Tuning Neutral, V.Large Soundfield), 01a.Penon Volt Totem (Analog Tuning, Warm Mids, V.Large Soundfield) Both got Boss level 'stage depth
02.64 audio u18t (Details+Tuning quality)
03.1670ss + NWZ Taekyo (Mid-bass, Mids, treble, Soundfield)
04.Penon Globe (Bass+Mids, detail, extended treble, Fantastic price performance ratio)
05.Penon Orb (Bass+Mids)
06.EIR-Z1R (Endgame Treble)
07.Andromeda 2018
08.kse1500 (Details)
09.64 audio u12t (+best all rounder, -$$$$)
10.W80

Users who are viewing this thread

Back