Ramen-Fi!
May 3, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #136 of 185
Sapporo Ichiban- Drank beer by that name. Now I can get the noodles too??

Great thread. Many good noodle brands to look for. I tend to buy Nissin, since it is cheap and takes up little room compared to bowl types, but it's time to branch out and get some others. I wonder if we could create a sticky thread for favorite recipe/add in's ingredients? Could be a great resource for us noodle lovers.

May 3, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #138 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I know what you're talking about. It's called Sriracha Hot chili Sauce. Indeed, it's a very nice companion to ramen soup.

The same company (I think they're based in L.A.) makes another sauce they call Ghili Garlic sauce. Unlike the Sriracha, it comes in a small jar rather than a squeeze bottle. It's quite hot, though not stupidly so, and it has a ton of flavor from the garlic and pureed chilis. I put it on pretty much everything, but it's particularly good in Ramen.

May 4, 2008 at 6:37 AM Post #139 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The same company (I think they're based in L.A.) makes another sauce they call Ghili Garlic sauce. Unlike the Sriracha, it comes in a small jar rather than a squeeze bottle. It's quite hot, though not stupidly so, and it has a ton of flavor from the garlic and pureed chilis. I put it on pretty much everything, but it's particularly good in Ramen.

Sounds interesting. I know my whold family use Sriracha for pretty much everything: Sandwich, Ramen, Pasta
eek.gif
, Soup, Chinese, Korean, Salad
eek.gif
, etc.. I guess, I will have to check out the garlic one next time I go to grocery.
cool.gif

May 5, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #140 of 185
Quote:

Sounds interesting. I know my whold family use Sriracha for pretty much everything: Sandwich, Ramen, Pasta
eek.gif
, Soup, Chinese, Korean, Salad
eek.gif
, etc.. I guess, I will have to check out the garlic one next time I go to grocery.
cool.gif

You will not be sorry! I should have pointed out in my last post that the cap is the same familiar green color that the Sriracha squeeze bottle has, except it's just a regular flat cap of the sort you would find on any jar.

May 5, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #141 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by KTamas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lately I enjoy the curry-flavored cup noodles (which I can only get imported, $2 apiece... ). Now this thread made me hungry.

I used to eat this as well when I was in high school. The one I had came in a very small package(only enough for 5 chops) and it didn't have any curry taste at all but I liked it nevertheless.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will not be sorry! I should have pointed out in my last post that the cap is the same familiar green color that the Sriracha squeeze bottle has, except it's just a regular flat cap of the sort you would find on any jar.

Thanks for the heads up! I personally don't care for garlic but I love anything that has garlic flavor in it, if that make sense at all.
tongue.gif

Sep 9, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #142 of 185
Wow this thread again? Why am I posting on such an old thread? Well, I first found it again by reading the Filo amp thread and I realized I've been making ramen differently nowadays.

Well, I tried this new thing where I microwave JUST the noodles and then drain, put on frying pan with some oil and the soup base sauce. Its faster to eat and it tastes pretty darn good to me! The brand I used was Samyang Ramyun.

Sep 9, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #144 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaside /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Two questions for you, chickenman.

- What samyang ramyun?
- What soup base sauce?

Without that, I can not imagine what it taste like.

images

I believe he was referring to this. There is only 1 kind of samyang ramyun
wink.gif

Oh I generally like to ready two pots of boiling water -> cook only noodles in one -> take noodles out and put it in other boiling water with soup + eggs etc

Ramen is far less oily and you don't feel so bad afterwards
wink.gif

Sep 9, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #145 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
images

I believe he was referring to this. There is only 1 kind of samyang ramyun
wink.gif

I recently tried their cup version and I have to say it was very disappointing. It tasted like it was trying to taste like something but ends there. It's like the guys who made the cup version gave up in the middle of their powder development. On the other hand, the packet one is a classic. It's been out on the market as long as I can remember and it still sells well. (well, it's very cheap compared to others.)

Sep 9, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #146 of 185
Quote:

I recently tried their cup version and I have to say it was very disappointing. It tasted like it was trying to taste like something but ends there. It's like the guys who made the cup version gave up in the middle of their powder development. On the other hand, the packet one is a classic. It's been out on the market as long as I can remember and it still sells well. (well, it's very cheap compared to others.)

I believe the packet version IS the very first instant noodle out of Korea - according to my parents
wink.gif

I wikied it, and apprently that noodle is first made from 1963!

Sep 9, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #147 of 185
Quote:

Yeah, the cup version is disappointing. But it does make me feel less guilty eating it because it says no MSG on the side
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 9, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #148 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe the packet version IS the very first instant noodle out of Korea - according to my parents
wink.gif

I wikied it, and apprently that noodle is first made from 1963!

Yes. I had a feeling that it might be. I was thinking it may be either samyang ramyun or ansungtangmyun but ansungtangmyun probably came out later in the 60's or early 70's. It's just my guess.

Sep 9, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #149 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chickenman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, the cup version is disappointing. But it does make me feel less guilty eating it because it says no MSG on the side
smily_headphones1.gif

I believe almost none of the stuff that comes out today has MSG in it. There was a huge public outcry in Korea regarding MSG, about 10 or 15 years ago. All the TV news stations were broadcasting about how harmful it is and who uses it in their products. Ever since then, many company's have opted out not to use MSGs in their products. It sure did taste better though.
tongue.gif

Sep 9, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #150 of 185
Quote:

I believe almost none of the stuff that comes out today has MSG in it. There was a huge public outcry in Korea regarding MSG, about 10 or 15 years ago. All the TV news stations were broadcasting about how harmful it is and who uses it in their products. Ever since then, many company's have opted out not to use MSGs in their products. It sure did taste better though.
tongue.gif

Chinese food, for example, doesn't taste the same without msg
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back