Question about amps for the Stax SR-009
Aug 26, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #841 of 883
16 - Really! Don't you find there are similarities among many of them, I certainly did. There are a few that are real standouts and these are the ones worth keeping 
beerchug.gif

Quote:

In the same boat, I just can't help liking an Electrostatic amplifier, any 'stat amplifier. I have now ... 16 and counting 

There's something about a complete 'stereo in a (small) box' that is really compelling. 

Aug 26, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #842 of 883

you want to mix and match the head phones as well, as well as the music. I listen to classical which has an enormous range. For example the 3S with a SRX sounds wonderful with lieder, but doesn't do Opera as well.

The 'speakers have a wider reproduction variation than the electronics.

Jan 29, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #843 of 883
Anyone has the  KGSShv Carbon

Jan 29, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #844 of 883
Anyone has the  KGSShv Carbon
several people do including me actually. It is a great sounding amplifier. I love it with all my stats headphones.

Jan 30, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #845 of 883
several people do including me actually. It is a great sounding amplifier. I love it with all my stats headphones.

and have you considered the BHSE before buying the Carbon ? Is Carbon better with the SR009 ?
BHSE & Carbon are my 2 options.

Jan 30, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #846 of 883

and have you considered the BHSE before buying the Carbon ? Is Carbon better with the SR009 ?
BHSE & Carbon are my 2 options.

I have the BHSE since 2013 and just acquired the Carbon back in December 2015.  I honestly think you will be happy with either but the BHSE build quality is just a work of art.  Please check the Stax thread for my short impression of the Carbon against the BHSE & T2.  Muveling also wrote a great post about several stats amps recently including the Carbon.  Personally, if the money is no object and you can wait...I'll go with the BHSE given that you can roll tubes to tailor the sound.  As is the Carbon is at or very near BHSE level with expensive NOS tubes but you do get stuck with just that sound.  You can also buy a full-size KGSSHV and use it while your BHSE is being build and unload it when it arrives.

Jan 30, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #847 of 883
  I have the BHSE since 2013 and just acquired the Carbon back in December 2015.  I honestly think you will be happy with either but the BHSE build quality is just a work of art.  Please check the Stax thread for my short impression of the Carbon against the BHSE & T2.  Muveling also wrote a great post about several stats amps recently including the Carbon.  Personally, if the money is no object and you can wait...I'll go with the BHSE given that you can roll tubes to tailor the sound.  As is the Carbon is at or very near BHSE level with expensive NOS tubes but you do get stuck with just that sound.  You can also buy a full-size KGSSHV and use it while your BHSE is being build and unload it when it arrives.

Thanks.  

as you suggest, It will be good idea to buy a carbon while waiting for the BHSE to arrive.  But... If you have the BHSE since few years, why did you ordered the Carbon ?    

Jan 30, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #848 of 883
  Thanks.  

as you suggest, It will be good idea to buy a carbon while waiting for the BHSE to arrive.  But... If you have the BHSE since few years, why did you ordered the Carbon ?    

Because I really *want* a good solidstate electrostatic amplifier that is just on or about the same level as the BHSE.  Plus I'm very tight with my builder and I didn't pay any where near $4600 + shipping and fee for it.  Additionally, KG designs are just so amazing and I love to just audition them.  Sadly many of those auditions did turn into a purchase.  His electrostatic amps are all excellence and a must hear if you can get a hand on one.  If you can get someone to build you a Carbon for less than $3500, then go all in for it.  However, you can get couple of the full-size KGSSHVs for less than $2800 now on the FS/FT Forum and those are also an excellent choice.

Jan 30, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #849 of 883
Justin is finalized batch #4.  Delivery time for all batch #4 BHSE is this March/April time frame.  Batch #5 is one more year waiting.

Why don't you email Justin ask whether an BHSE is unspoken under this current batch so you don't have to wait that long.  Some folks couldn't take the delivery of the BHSE for some reasons and asked for deposit money back.  I hopped on this train under this circumstance last October.

I just converted to 009/estat for the last few months.  Phenomenal headphones; best I've ever heard.  I built my own KGSSHV for half of the cost of a pre-built one.  KGSSHV/009 sound great, ppl. said the Carbon is even better so you can't go wrong there.   

Apr 26, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #850 of 883
Once I get my Yggy, I'm looking to venture into electrostatics—specifically the 009. What's the difference in terms of performance between the Woo GES and Mjolnir Audio's balanced implementation of what they say is the same architecture?

If I plan to get a quality power amplifier for HE-6s and K1000s, how much of a performance hit would the WEE represent by comparison? 

Jun 12, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #852 of 883
  What's the difference between SRM-T1S and T1W? Is one better than the other for driving SR-009?

The electronics are exactly the same.  The difference is the T1W, *W" for wider, is wider (duh!) with more inputs including one balanced input and can be used as a passive preamp.  The "W" also has a  hole in the front panel where you can insert a screwdriver to adjust the bias voltage, although why you would want to do that I have no idea.

Aug 13, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #853 of 883
Hi,
It is time for me to buy great amplifier for my SR009.
Listening only classical, with preference for orchestral music and opera.
So amp strengths I am looking for are great imaging , soundstage and above all no mess in great orchestral and choir forces.
My source is Ayon CD5s with High Level tube output
4v and 8v, very liquid sound,
BHSE is out because of delay.
So, Your opinions, tubes (KGST, WES) or SS (KGSSHV) ?
Thanks a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back