Question about amps for the Stax SR-009
Aug 13, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #857 of 883
What Is the best ( commercial or DIY) transportable AMP for a SR009. ( battery operated will be even better so that I can use It In my garden :) ?

I can't carry my BHSE every week-end to my country villa and me and my dogs would like to improve on my curent transportable battery operated audio system...

Aug 23, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #858 of 883
anybody know whether a vintage SRM-T1 driver would do a decent job for the SR-009?    I plan on keeping the T1 for a while with my 404LE, and thinking of the 009 as an upgrade sometime next year partly because I read that the 007 seems more finicky and harder to drive.  I won't have the ability to get a Blue Hawaii or other high end amp. 

Aug 23, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #859 of 883
Night listening cesssion with the BHSE + SR009.... :)

Aug 23, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #860 of 883
Hi,
It is time for me to buy great amplifier for my SR009.
Listening only classical, with preference for orchestral music and opera.
So amp strengths I am looking for are great imaging , soundstage and above all no mess in great orchestral and choir forces.
My source is Ayon CD5s with High Level tube output
4v and 8v, very liquid sound,
BHSE is out because of delay.
So, Your opinions, tubes (KGST, WES) or SS (KGSSHV) ?
Thanks a lot.

If soundstage, speed, and dynamics are your priories, then you would almost certainly like a KGSShv Carbon best, followed by a full-size KGSShv, then a KGSShv mini, and finally the KGST (which is still a very good sounding amp). A BHSE can definitely compete with the Carbon too, but you've already ruled that one out. If you really want a "great" 009 amp, it's worth stretching for the Carbon here. Haven't heard a WES but I've read enough about it to not be interested in hearing one. 009 does great with either tubes or SS, so that's not a concern unless YOU have a strong preference for one over the other. 

Aug 24, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #862 of 883
He's sitting on 'em.     
etysmile.gif

Aug 24, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #863 of 883
Enjoying the stock tubes so far. Tube rolling will be next..

I have organised tonight a mini meet to test the TotalDAC D1 Dual and the DAVE with my BHSE / Stax 009. I will report...

but, has someone tested the TotalDAC-D1-tube-mk2 with the BHSE / SR009 ?

Indeed, If I like the TotalDAC sound with my BHSE/SR009, I may consider the tube version of the TotalDAC to warm a little my SR009, but the tube version only output 1,4 volts, which is bellow the standard.

--> So I wonder if 1,4 volts at -0db will be enough for some low level recording ?

Sep 4, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #864 of 883
Let's go for another happy listening with my BHSE / Stax SR009.  

Now that I know better the sound signature of the Stock mullard, I will start to look for alternative tubes for the BHSE.   

Since I have received my BHSE, my EC445 get little listening...  this is why my EC445 is now for sale.

Sep 9, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #865 of 883
This is not about amps, but SR-009 repair in USA.

I bought a pair of SR-009 headphones from Japan two years ago and the right channel is bad.
I have heard STAX USA will not repair out of warranty headphones bought in Japan.

Is this true? If so, do I have to send them back to STAX Japan?

I sent a message to STAX USA from their web site stating I bought them in Japan. This was a few days ago, but have not heard back.

Do the headphones have a serial number?  Can they tell if they were sold in Japan?

What do I do?

Sep 9, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #866 of 883
Pretty sure the serial number will identify the country of sale. If you bought them from Japan then that is the only place where your warranty would be honoured. I guess Stax USA would sort it for you but at cost.

Sep 9, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #868 of 883
  I know they are out of warranty.
STAX USA has a repair service.
Has anyone had a SR-009 repaired there?

Unfortunately I think you can forget about Stax U.S.A. repairing your 009 if you purchased them from Japan. I wanted to buy some back-up pads for my 009 from Stax U.S.A. which I purchased from PJ and they asked for my serial # and wouldn't even sell me pads for them…so they definitely know where they were purchased from by the serial #.

Sep 9, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #869 of 883
  This is not about amps, but SR-009 repair in USA.

I bought a pair of SR-009 headphones from Japan two years ago and the right channel is bad.
I have heard STAX USA will not repair out of warranty headphones bought in Japan.

Is this true? If so, do I have to send them back to STAX Japan?

I sent a message to STAX USA from their web site stating I bought them in Japan. This was a few days ago, but have not heard back.

Do the headphones have a serial number?  Can they tell if they were sold in Japan?

What do I do?

Why would you do that? Why wouldn't you just ask if they can be repaired? If they asked where you purchased them, just say you bought them second hand and have no idea...

Sep 9, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #870 of 883
   Unfortunately I think you can forget about Stax U.S.A. repairing your 009 if you purchased them from Japan. I wanted to buy some back-up pads for my 009 from Stax U.S.A. which I purchased from PJ and they asked for my serial # and wouldn't even sell me pads for them…so they definitely know where they were purchased from by the serial #.

Does that mean if someone gave you their USA purchased serial number you could have given that to them and they would have mailed them to you?

Can't imagine them asking you to send the SR-009's to them so they can verify the number.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back