Post pics of your builds....
Jul 3, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #3,406 of 9,811
x2, jeff is the man when it comes to ordering up kits. Super friendly - great to communicate with, and best of all has no problems customizing kits/orders to peoples certain specifications. If you dont want a chassis with the kit, simply say so and its not a problem. Ive actually done the math, and somehow I'm 99% sure its cheaper to get the components from him than by actually ordering them yourself via mouser and digikey etc after you factor the taxes and shipping etc.

Jul 3, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #3,407 of 9,811
My first finished headphone amp. Still in the setup/adjusting phase.

CKIII_01f.jpg

CKIII_02f.jpg

CKIII_03f.jpg

CKIII_04f.jpg

Regards

Jul 3, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #3,408 of 9,811
congrats GeWa!

Very nice and clean work. Is the small PCB for the pot self-etched? And what transformer is that?
And this is really your FIRST amp? Then I am really looking forward to see your next amps...
wink.gif

Jul 3, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #3,409 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by franky_s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
congrats GeWa!

Very nice and clean work. Is the small PCB for the pot self-etched? And what transformer is that?
And this is really your FIRST amp? Then I am really looking forward to see your next amps...
wink.gif

I think the pot board is the E27 from Amb.

Jul 3, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #3,410 of 9,811
@franky_s

It's my first "headphone" amp that get finished. Still have a lot of projects that needs to get finalized (SOHA, Millett Max, Bijou and some various solid state amps
eek.gif
). The small pcb underneath the Alps pot is indeed the E27 from AMB as MrMajestic2 already noticed. The transformer is something standard from Farnell.

Regards

Jul 3, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #3,411 of 9,811
great looking CKKIII gewa, fantastic neat work, keep it up and I look forward to seeing some of your future builds!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 3, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #3,412 of 9,811
Looks nice, GeWa!

My CMoy, which has kept me company for several years.

IMG_8429.jpg

IMG_8430.jpg

IMG_8436.jpg

Soon to come: Millett Hybrid MAX. My new Hakko 936 arrived yesterday, it's itching to solder something cool!
biggrin.gif

Jul 4, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #3,413 of 9,811
Gewa, nicely done! Neat and tidy work for sure. Congrats.

Nice work patton713MW, make sure to post pics of that MMax when you get it done.

Jul 4, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #3,414 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by el_matt0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh ya, and @ ombuttsman: No reason to be shy man! Thats a fantastic build there, especially if its one of your first! Work quality looks stellar, and as was mentioned above, good job on fitting it all in there - I definitely had NO hopes of getting 9V#2 in there when I built my first cmoy (although god knows I tried in vain!)!

i appreciate your kind words!

but i hope someday i can build a hi-end amp, it's a shame here in brazil these high quality parts are REALLY expensive and hard to find. 99% of them have to be internationally bought via internet. even a simple TLE2426 is almost impossible to find here, that's why i used a simple resistor divider in this altoids amp.

but while i can't afford a hi-end amp, i'll keep appreciating yours here! keep up the good work!!!
eek.gif

Jul 4, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #3,415 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by patton713MW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks nice, GeWa!

My CMoy, which has kept me company for several years.

Nice work! I used a mint tin too, but am considering other options now. I need two batteries but like your design, mine has the audio jacks near the volume control which is a bit of a pain. The cables and jacks get in the way of my fingers...

I don't think it's possible to do any other way in an Altoids tin...

Jul 5, 2008 at 9:34 AM Post #3,418 of 9,811
my first amp... I'm quite pleased how it turned out
smily_headphones1.gif

01lr9.jpg

edit:

So it's the M³ amp using 627s at the moment, the power is a s11 @ 36V, so I have some 637s on the way to try 637/627 on 36V, the main toroid is a Block 25VA 2x18V, I have a 25VA 2x12V on the way too so I can set the sigma11 @ 27V to try 8610/8610 and 637/8610...

The momentary to latch is an e24, powered by a mini 2x12V toroid... the M³ output goes via a simplified e12 muting circuit... as I have some polycarbonate caps on the input signal, I took out the DC offset protection part of the circuit and therefore the need to connect it to a +/- supply, so it's connected to the +/0 output of the s11 with a 7812 to provide 12V

The case is a Hifi2000 Galaxy Maggiorato GX283 with the optional 10mm thick panel, ordered from Italy, sent back to the continent to Schaeffer to get the front and rear panels milled as I didn't fancy even attempting to cut the rear panel with handheld powertools as it's anodised.

It strays a little from the M³ spec in that I have a more "commercial" bass shelf, using 0.047uF caps instead of 0.1uF so the difference is quite strong, and solves the anaemic upper bass of the K701 I tend to find for some music I listen to, the spec'd bass shelf is quite subtle and very low frequency

Building the M³ in such a small case was always going to be a bit of a challenge to fit it all in whilst keeping the power away from the input signal and the pots are off-board, so I kept all the audio cables ultra-low capacitance and silver-plated OFC / OFC mix to minimise the likelihood of signal loss or warping.

AMB/Ti, Ferrari/Duc, and Dougigs have all been very patient and helpful during my build
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2008 at 9:39 AM Post #3,419 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardnrg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my first amp... I'm quite pleased how it turned out
smily_headphones1.gif

Nice colorscheme, I like it. Good job
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back