Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1
Feb 17, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #2,131 of 2,189
Hello. Can you write more about how the sound has changed with the Auteur Perforated ear pads? Low frequencies became much less? Particularly interested in the rumble from the midbass? Are the vocals cleaner? What about high frequencies? Have they remained at the same level or have they become even more detailed? I'm considering getting a pair of Auteur Perforated Pads as I find the bass to be average and the hit a bit strong. At first it seemed normal, but after a while you begin to understand that it is too much. I would be very grateful for your comments.
Sorry for the slow reply..

It’s hard for me to offer now an accurate comparison as I’ve used the Auteur pads nonstop ever since I replaced the originals, but I will say that I find I reach to this headphone now much more than I used it and enjoy it much more.

I do recall the somewhat bleeding bass with the original pads and these pads are definitely an improvement. I do not think there is any loss of bass, but it gains definition and crispness. There is no bleed, and transients feel fast and very cleanly articulated.

As for treble, it is very clear but non-fatiguing. For example, in the following track, the rustle of the maracas, hand clasps, and high female vocals are all super clear with wonderful separation and space, while the double bass, and low drum beats at the end of the track, are equally clear but remain in the background at the proper elevation meant in this recording.

5FCD728A-3477-48FC-A266-A675CE398B50.jpeg

Feb 22, 2023 at 7:54 AM Post #2,132 of 2,189
Just checking in here; I still enjoy my SEM-1s a lot, over 4 years on now. A unique sound, but very enjoyable. Purely in original stock form (with the stock 1/4-inch cable).
Driven by SPL Phonitor XE, Chord DAVE+Msclaler.
I do love the soundstage, with nice image placement and atmospherics. And they really do rhythm well and keep your foot tapping. Very engaging.
And they sure wake you up.
How would you say the SEM-1 compares to the likes of Abyss, Susvara, Utopia, HEK-SE etc? In terms of open sound stage and micro detail which is better in your set up?
Just checking in here; I still enjoy my SEM-1s a lot, over 4 years on now. A unique sound, but very enjoyable. Purely in original stock form (with the stock 1/4-inch cable).
Driven by SPL Phonitor XE, Chord DAVE+Msclaler.
I do love the soundstage, with nice image placement and atmospherics. And they really do rhythm well and keep your foot tapping. Very engaging.
And they sure wake you up.

Feb 22, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #2,133 of 2,189
Susvara is a detail monster, perhaps more than any other headphone. But the Pioneer also exposes fine detail and has lots of speed, too.
But the Pioneer has a unigue drive and sense of effortless power and excitement, but refined excitement, if that makes sense. It's very compelling and not distant.
The Abyss has lots of bass and a large speaker-like atmosphere, but is overall more reserved than the SEM1.

Utopia is also exciting and has natural tonality, but the SEM1 really handles percussion with sense of slam and precision. The Utopia is more organic than the SEM1, but I feel that the Utopia is more organic than most headphones, except maybe for something like the good old Sony R10 (which I used to own), but the Pioneer also has a feeling of humanity and liquidity, too and does not sound artificial or dry at all. The highs are not brittle on the SEM1, and are actually natural, realistic, and sweet even though they are prominent.
The bass of the SEM1 is also strong, but is not overwhelming or pushy or blasting or boomy.
The soundfield of the SEM1 is also really satisfying, with precise imaging and a believable sense of space and placement, if not a huge hall-like sound.

I have not heard the Hifiman HEK-SE.

Feb 23, 2023 at 5:02 AM Post #2,134 of 2,189
Susvara is a detail monster, perhaps more than any other headphone. But the Pioneer also exposes fine detail and has lots of speed, too.
But the Pioneer has a unigue drive and sense of effortless power and excitement, but refined excitement, if that makes sense. It's very compelling and not distant.
The Abyss has lots of bass and a large speaker-like atmosphere, but is overall more reserved than the SEM1.

Utopia is also exciting and has natural tonality, but the SEM1 really handles percussion with sense of slam and precision. The Utopia is more organic than the SEM1, but I feel that the Utopia is more organic than most headphones, except maybe for something like the good old Sony R10 (which I used to own), but the Pioneer also has a feeling of humanity and liquidity, too and does not sound artificial or dry at all. The highs are not brittle on the SEM1, and are actually natural, realistic, and sweet even though they are prominent.
The bass of the SEM1 is also strong, but is not overwhelming or pushy or blasting or boomy.
The soundfield of the SEM1 is also really satisfying, with precise imaging and a believable sense of space and placement, if not a huge hall-like sound.

I have not heard the Hifiman HEK-SE.
Thanks for the response. So would you find the SEM1 more musical or more fatiguing for long listening sessions compared to Susvara or Utopia?

Feb 25, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #2,135 of 2,189
Well, it depends. The Utopia (not the 2022 edition which I have not heard) is actually fairly mellow and relaxing but still musical with impact with a Lazuli Ref cable.
The Susvara while very resolving (a detail champion) does not have fatiguing highs.
The SEM-1 (stock cables) does have stronger highs, but they are high-quality highs, but it does not have the 'shout factor' in upper mids and vocals which IMHO is the main source of wincing and headphone fatigue. So I would not call it fatiguing. FWIW, on my DAVE, I have little to zero fatigue while it it still is gripping and engaging, so it's a nice balance and avoids boredom. It is exciting and different and I can't wait to hear what it does on a recording which is a first listen to me on the SEM-1.

My main recommended use-case for the SEM-1 is for someone who has some high-end phones and really wants to try something different but still valid and original.

Mar 16, 2023 at 5:18 AM Post #2,136 of 2,189
Today I did an experiment, since the stock ear pads are glued, I pushed them back and put the stock ear pads from Fostex TH900 in their place. To say that I was surprised is not a word. The sound became unrealistically crisp and clear, with unrealistic vocals that brought tears to my eyes. I don't know where the pioneer engineers were looking when they decided to equip them with stock ear pads, but they just don't allow these high-end speakers to reach their full potential. They just replay everything I've heard up to this point, all sorts of ADX5000, Utopia OG, Utopia 2022, HD800S. So guys, if you think that you are now listening to great sound with native ear pads, then you have not heard even half of what these headphones are capable of. Whoever breaks up with them or thinks of breaking up with them, you are making a huge mistake not realizing the huge potential.

Mar 16, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #2,138 of 2,189
So if you don’t own a Fostex what after market pads can be purchased to achieve this recommendation.
I have mentioned this some time back. The stock pads make the headphone too warm and a little congested. They open up and do real well with good pads. I use some lightly fenestrated pads from ibasso on the headphones and the sound is excellent. I have had the earpads on them for about 2 years.

Mar 16, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #2,140 of 2,189
How does the SEM-1 compare to the Susvara (properly driven) in terms of volume of the sound stage and micro detail.
Nowhere close to Susvara on either count, as much as I love my SEM-1. IMO this is not a fair comparison, the Susvara has a much larger stage and resolves significantly better, amongst other things. The SE-Master 1 have a more intense, v-shaped sound with more mid-bass punch and more pronounced treble (maybe too hot at times). I have not tried pad rolling to see how much this helps though.

Mar 16, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #2,141 of 2,189
Nowhere close to Susvara on either count, as much as I love my SEM-1. IMO this is not a fair comparison, the Susvara has a much larger stage and resolves significantly better, amongst other things. The SE-Master 1 have a more intense, v-shaped sound with more mid-bass punch and more pronounced treble (maybe too hot at times). I have not tried pad rolling to see how much this helps though.
What earpads? If stock, I prefer the Koss PortaPro to them. Really. I only kept the Pioneer because I don't tend to sell things. But good earpads absolutely change their sound for the much better. Also Pioneer sucks at customer help. They do nothing, zero in response or parts help. I would never buy a product of their again.

Mar 16, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #2,142 of 2,189
What earpads? If stock, I prefer the Koss PortaPro to them. Really. I only kept the Pioneer because I don't tend to sell things. But good earpads absolutely change their sound for the much better. Also Pioneer sucks at customer help. They do nothing, zero in response or parts help. I would never buy a product of their again.
Just stock pads, I haven’t pad rolled like I mentioned.. something about ripping off that adhesive has me apprehensive haha.

Mar 16, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #2,143 of 2,189
Just stock pads, I haven’t pad rolled like I mentioned.. something about ripping off that adhesive has me apprehensive haha.
I understand but Pioneer was really, really, really lazy about the pads and what they ended up using. They suck the life out of the music.

Also if it appears I am irritated with Pioneer, which I am sure they could care less about, I am. I have written emails about parts like the headband etc., and zero, no response. Never again. I also use Whiplash cable for them (from when Craig still owned Whiplash, not the current company).

Mar 18, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #2,144 of 2,189
Thanks for the response. So would you find the SEM1 more musical or more fatiguing for long listening sessions compared to Susvara or Utopia?
No...the SEM 1 is one of those headphones you can keep on for hours and focus on the music with a high quality sound.

Mar 18, 2023 at 8:53 PM Post #2,145 of 2,189
I understand but Pioneer was really, really, really lazy about the pads and what they ended up using. They suck the life out of the music.

Also if it appears I am irritated with Pioneer, which I am sure they could care less about, I am. I have written emails about parts like the headband etc., and zero, no response. Never again. I also use Whiplash cable for them (from when Craig still owned Whiplash, not the current company).
yeah, their original pads suck. I can see why most reviewers had so-so reviews of these cans because the pads we so bad. If they would've placed better pads on it, to this day it would be one of the most sought after cans out there, but they biffed it and then stop producing hi-end cans. Its like they did all they could to get these to market because it was on the to-do list and closed up shop with audiophile cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back