Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1
Oct 21, 2022 at 5:48 AM Post #2,101 of 2,193
Thanks guy!

I think I’ll order both the RS2 and Aliexpress pads and try them
Where are you ordering the RS2 pads from?
I did, by pure chance, try a Dekoni th900 pads for another headphone (unfortunately I sent it back so don’t have handy). I found them a little too small and stiff for my comfort.
Which version of the Dekoni TH900 pads did you try and on what headphones? I imagine the black foam pieces may help with comfort. Just to clarify, the foam flaking is the foam from the inside of the pads.
Headband idea is also great

I do hope new pads can serve to both solve flaking but also improve sonically. I’m not love this headphone as is
The flaking may be unique to my headphones because they are so well used. It is remarkable in fact that the metalwork, plastics, and everything else are in really great condition.

I really like these headphones sonically, and I imagine there is a large jump from using a balanced cable and amplifier. I hope the pad replacement helps.

Edit: Turned out that the foam on my pair seemed fine, just general debris.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2022 at 6:24 AM Post #2,102 of 2,193
Where are you ordering the RS2 pads from?

Which version of the Dekoni TH900 pads did you try and on what headphones? I imagine the black foam pieces may help with comfort. Just to clarify, the foam flaking is the foam from the inside of the pads.

The flaking may be unique to my headphones because they are so well used. It is remarkable in fact that the metalwork, plastics, and everything else are in really great condition.

I really like these headphones sonically, and I imagine there is a large jump from using a balanced cable and amplifier. I hope the pad replacement helps.
I just found someplace online in Europe that has those pads. Will send link when I’m back at computer in evening

I thought there was a piece of foam stuck on the driver bottom side that was glued to both the driver and pad (from pictures and explanations folks posted above)?

My headband also flakes - just the top so no impact on usability, but it’s pretty annoying. And now my pads stated flaking. This cheap leatherette is really subpar..

Oct 21, 2022 at 7:30 AM Post #2,103 of 2,193
I just found someplace online in Europe that has those pads. Will send link when I’m back at computer in evening
Thanks!
I thought there was a piece of foam stuck on the driver bottom side that was glued to both the driver and pad (from pictures and explanations folks posted above)?
Between the pad and the black dense foam on the housing there is strong double sided tape. The pad can be easily removed with the method I mentioned above by using isopropyl to soften the glue while very slowly peeling the pad off. The stiff card, detail brush, and cotton buds are used to apply the isopropyl in small quantities and in a controlled way. I got my own pads off without any damage to the dense black foam.
My headband also flakes - just the top so no impact on usability, but it’s pretty annoying. And now my pads stated flaking. This cheap leatherette is really subpar..
All leatherette does it eventually, one fix is to use tape to peel and remove the leatherette top and leave behind the velvet.

Oct 21, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #2,104 of 2,193
Why is Pioneer's support ZERO? Really terrible.

Oct 23, 2022 at 7:39 PM Post #2,107 of 2,193
Oct 23, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #2,108 of 2,193
I had an idea, and it worked well. I am a ZMF fan and have many of thei headphones, and have also used ZMF pads to transform - both in convenience, and in sound - many other headphones.

I took some measurements of the SEM1 and realized that those could fit.

Taking off the original pads, as everyone adivsed, took 30 seconds. A gentle pull on that final part that's adhered, and it's cleanly off.

I took one of the extra ZMF pads I had available - the Auteur Lambskin Perforated pads - and they fit perfectly. It took me 10 seconds per cup to put them on.

This means that any of the ZMF pads done for their own core headphones - the Universe, Auteur, BE2 (in leather, sueded, hybrid, or protein) - will all fit the SEM1. Which means an endless supply of perfectly fitting, high quality, comfortable, and sonically varied pads. I have many of them at home, and when I come around to it, I'll pad roll a bit (as I have on ZMF's on headphones).

I've used their perforated pads, as ZMF advises to use them for their open-backed headphones and use the solids pads for their closed backs. Replacing the original SEM1 solid pad with the Auteur perforated pad immediately open up the sound stage, and releases some of the excess bleed of bass to mids. The specific pads I'm referencing is known to be a bit more bassy vs. the others, and indeed here it retains the bass very well. It may be, by chance, the better one for this headphone any event.

As a bonus, genuine leather and quality that will last...

Last, I used the advice one of you gave further up, and just took an adhesive tap and applied it repeatedly to the top part of hte flaking headband. In a couple of minute all the flakes came off, and it's now like a brand-new suede headband. No replacing required. Looks like new. The bottom sueded as originally intended, and the top now matches. zero of the original leatherette remaining.

So this is now a simply modded, durable, and better sounding headphone.

Hope some of you may find this helpul!

Oct 24, 2022 at 1:14 AM Post #2,109 of 2,193
It's 00343 -- what can we learn from that?
I had one of the early samples before, the ear pads were very soft and smooth. So I mean, I recently received a pair with the number 1186 and was surprised that they have ear pads of a different quality that are more rigid and not so smooth. I also noticed that the speaker is slightly different with a gold ring around the central dome. The sound is also different compared to the earlier revision.

Oct 24, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #2,110 of 2,193
I had one of the early samples before, the ear pads were very soft and smooth. So I mean, I recently received a pair with the number 1186 and was surprised that they have ear pads of a different quality that are more rigid and not so smooth. I also noticed that the speaker is slightly different with a gold ring around the central dome. The sound is also different compared to the earlier revision.

Is mine (#343) considered earlier or later version? Here is what my driver looks like:

C574837C-C90D-4ECA-8FB8-C26C5F96FA0E.jpeg

How does the sound change between the versions?

Thanks!

Oct 24, 2022 at 5:39 AM Post #2,111 of 2,193
This means that any of the ZMF pads done for their own core headphones - the Universe, Auteur, BE2 (in leather, sueded, hybrid, or protein) - will all fit the SEM1. Which means an endless supply of perfectly fitting, high quality, comfortable, and sonically varied pads. I have many of them at home, and when I come around to it, I'll pad roll a bit (as I have on ZMF's on headphones).
Spoiled for choice now! I'm temped by the Auteur perforated versions but which one!? leather, suede, or hybrid. I have the Dekoni FH900 perforated ones on the way so I can only choose one for now.
Last, I used the advice one of you gave further up, and just took an adhesive tap and applied it repeatedly to the top part of hte flaking headband. In a couple of minute all the flakes came off, and it's now like a brand-new suede headband. No replacing required. Looks like new. The bottom sueded as originally intended, and the top now matches. zero of the original leatherette remaining.
Awesome, glad that worked! I couldn't do it with my well used pair because the plastic film is broken, so I'm going to make a simple leather band as a replacement.

Oct 24, 2022 at 5:52 AM Post #2,112 of 2,193
Spoiled for choice now! I'm temped by the Auteur perforated versions but which one!? leather, suede, or hybrid. I have the Dekoni FH900 perforated ones on the way so I can only choose one for now.

ZMF site has lots of info on the subtleties to help guide you. I’ve always preferred their lamb skins ones for both feel and sound, but many prefer the others

Oct 24, 2022 at 5:53 AM Post #2,113 of 2,193
Can you take a photo? This is something I'd love us to start comparing. I suspect the main change is the driver itself. I have two pairs:

946-1000 (later version) - well used condition but cleaned up really well. Completed a full rebuild today and they look almost new! I just need to make a replacement headband.
800-945 (earlier version) - new in box and is being squirrelled away for when I lose or irreparably damage the other pair.

I can't see a difference between them this morning, but will take a closer look later.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2022 at 6:15 AM Post #2,114 of 2,193
Is mine (#343) considered earlier or later version? Here is what my driver looks like:

How does the sound change between the versions?

Thanks!

If the driver assemblies have not been replaced, then they are the earlier version.

Physically - I am not sure if there is any difference. Externally they look identical and I imagine they are identical inside.
Sonically - We need a significant sample size of people to compare them.
Repair-ability - The earlier version will need both assembly sides replaced in case of repair to avoid any potential mismatch of the drivers between versions, while the later version only needs the issue side replaced.

I think the driver would be the main part liable to slight variation. Perhaps Pioneer was being prudent by advising us when a minor change occurred with the manufacture? For example, maybe the driver manufacture moved production to a different assembly line or to a different factory. What do you think?

Oct 24, 2022 at 6:24 AM Post #2,115 of 2,193
Can you take a photo?

See my earlier post above #2,110 for picture of my drivers… I haven’t realized there were any differences until this recent thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back