Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1
Oct 24, 2022 at 6:28 AM Post #2,116 of 2,189
Can you take a photo
See that golden ring around the dome? See if your pairs are similar. The sound for me is very balanced without peaks and sibilants as in the early version.

Attachments

• IMG_20221024_142534.jpg
    IMG_20221024_142534.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Oct 24, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #2,119 of 2,189
See that golden ring around the dome? See if your pairs are similar. The sound for me is very balanced without peaks and sibilants as in the early version.
I checked and that ring is the visible part of the yoke. So the earlier version is silver-ish and the later version is gold-ish. Would it have any impact on the sound, I'm not sure. Only thing I can think of is if the metal has changed rather than the finish color, resulting in a density change.

Do you have another SEM1 to compare against because I'd not be one to judge, especially from memory. Even if I tried to compare mine, one is well used while the other is new, not to mention my hearing is probably not good enough to tell the difference! I'll give it a try though. Hopefully someone can step up with a side by side comparison of two similar condition pairs.

Screenshot from 2022-10-24 12-45-53.png

Oct 31, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #2,120 of 2,189
Just to clarify, the foam flaking is the foam from the inside of the pads.

The flaking may be unique to my headphones because they are so well used.
Correction: Having inspected the foam of the old pads, the foam looks good, no disintegration there. It was all dust, debris, and human flakes..

In other news, having cleaned and completely rebuilt my old pair. Happy to answer any questions about disassembly.

Still looking for MMCX connectors that fit the headset nicely, any ideas?

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2022 at 7:33 AM Post #2,121 of 2,189
I took one of the extra ZMF pads I had available - the Auteur Lambskin Perforated pads - and they fit perfectly. It took me 10 seconds per cup to put them on.

This means that any of the ZMF pads done for their own core headphones - the Universe, Auteur, BE2 (in leather, sueded, hybrid, or protein) - will all fit the SEM1. Which means an endless supply of perfectly fitting, high quality, comfortable, and sonically varied pads. I have many of them at home, and when I come around to it, I'll pad roll a bit (as I have on ZMF's on headphones).

I've used their perforated pads, as ZMF advises to use them for their open-backed headphones and use the solids pads for their closed backs. Replacing the original SEM1 solid pad with the Auteur perforated pad immediately open up the sound stage, and releases some of the excess bleed of bass to mids. The specific pads I'm referencing is known to be a bit more bassy vs. the others, and indeed here it retains the bass very well. It may be, by chance, the better one for this headphone any event.
Going to order a pair of pads today. Thanks again for this tip!
Last, I used the advice one of you gave further up, and just took an adhesive tap and applied it repeatedly to the top part of hte flaking headband. In a couple of minute all the flakes came off, and it's now like a brand-new suede headband. No replacing required. Looks like new. The bottom sueded as originally intended, and the top now matches. zero of the original leatherette remaining.
Glad it worked well and totally agree! It is a much better when compared to the peeling leatherette. This adhesive tape method can also be done with earpads if the inner foam is still good and cushion-y but the leatherette has started to peel.
Hope some of you may find this helpul!
+1

Jan 5, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #2,122 of 2,189
Any cable recommended for this headphone ? I do happy with both stock cable but if there have any other better choice I would like to try. Thanks

Jan 5, 2023 at 8:53 PM Post #2,123 of 2,189
Any cable recommended for this headphone ? I do happy with both stock cable but if there have any other better choice I would like to try. Thanks

I'm using a Q French Silk cable - didn't really notice any sonic changes but it is so supple and lays down so nicely. Have it on four pairs of headphones and love it. On my HE-6SE, HE-500, Denon LA7000 and the Pioneer.

Feb 3, 2023 at 10:36 PM Post #2,124 of 2,189
Just checking in here; I still enjoy my SEM-1s a lot, over 4 years on now. A unique sound, but very enjoyable. Purely in original stock form (with the stock 1/4-inch cable).
Driven by SPL Phonitor XE, Chord DAVE+Msclaler.
I do love the soundstage, with nice image placement and atmospherics. And they really do rhythm well and keep your foot tapping. Very engaging.
And they sure wake you up.

Feb 3, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #2,125 of 2,189
Just checking in here; I still enjoy my SEM-1s a lot, over 4 years on now. A unique sound, but very enjoyable. Purely in original stock form (with the stock 1/4-inch cable).
Driven by SPL Phonitor XE, Chord DAVE+Msclaler.
I do love the soundstage, with nice image placement and atmospherics. And they really do rhythm well and keep your foot tapping. Very engaging.
And they sure wake you up.
I changed out the cable to Whiplash gold/silver 8. Also more fenestrated earpads, which open them up more.

Feb 3, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #2,127 of 2,189
Feb 10, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #2,129 of 2,189
I'm glad to finally re-join this club of lucky SEM1 users as I found another one recently (s/n 200+) barely used for a nice price. Although it came with both stock cable and balanced cable, I very much prefer a shorter one with a 3.5mm plug - ordered, on its way from China to Europe.

So, what happened to my previous SEM1 then? Well, I happened to drop it on the floor (not good!). Someone here in this thread took care of it. So, it's hopefully in good condition nowadays! It feels so great to enjoy the unique SEM1 sound again.

Feb 15, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #2,130 of 2,189
Auteur perforated pad immediately open up the sound stage, and releases some of the excess bleed of bass to mids. The specific pads I'm referencing is known to be a bit more bassy vs. the others, and indeed here it retains the bass very well. It may be, by chance, the better one for this headphone any event.
Hello. Can you write more about how the sound has changed with the Auteur Perforated ear pads? Low frequencies became much less? Particularly interested in the rumble from the midbass? Are the vocals cleaner? What about high frequencies? Have they remained at the same level or have they become even more detailed? I'm considering getting a pair of Auteur Perforated Pads as I find the bass to be average and the hit a bit strong. At first it seemed normal, but after a while you begin to understand that it is too much. I would be very grateful for your comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back