Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1
May 1, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #2,161 of 2,189
I made 12 holes on the back of the ear pads carefully with scissors. I did not compare the difference in sound, I just made holes and began to listen. But I'm not interested anymore. The other day I got a Fostex TH900Mk2 Pearl White and it turned out to be better than the pioneers in everything.
I have the TH900Mk2 also and really like them. To me they are complimentary to the Master 1. It seems the Pioneers have a little more midrange and a bit wider soundstage.
I'm curious as to how they sound when I get the fenestrated pads on them.

May 1, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #2,162 of 2,189
I have the TH900Mk2 also and really like them. To me they are complimentary to the Master 1. It seems the Pioneers have a little more midrange and a bit wider soundstage.
I'm curious as to how they sound when I get the fenestrated pads on them.
With perforated ear pads, the sound on sem1 becomes too thin, without body, which now seems wrong to me. The soundstage on the sem1 is not as wide as the TH900, I compared directly even though they are open. I have a white version, it has a slightly different tuning with a clearer and more precise vocal, on sem1 the vocals sound muffled and muddier.

May 1, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #2,163 of 2,189
With perforated ear pads, the sound on sem1 becomes too thin, without body, which now seems wrong to me. The soundstage on the sem1 is not as wide as the TH900, I compared directly even though they are open. I have a white version, it has a slightly different tuning with a clearer and more precise vocal, on sem1 the vocals sound muffled and muddier.
I appreciate your impressions. My Dekoni pads should be here today. I'll post what I think also.
BTW, which amp are you using?
I have a Woo Wa22.

Jun 25, 2023 at 6:31 AM Post #2,164 of 2,189
Hello everyone. I'm another lucky owner of SEM1 headphones. Unfortunately, I was also forced to replace the stock pads with new ones and I can confirm that the ZMF Auteur pads fit perfectly, and their assembly takes maybe 10 minutes. By chance, I wanted to ask, if someone replaced the stock cable with silver plated copper or gold plated copper? I currently have a copper one and I'm wondering if it makes sense to invest in one of the above-mentioned. If yes, what change/improvement of sound could I expect?

Jun 26, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #2,165 of 2,189
Hello everyone. I'm another lucky owner of SEM1 headphones. Unfortunately, I was also forced to replace the stock pads with new ones and I can confirm that the ZMF Auteur pads fit perfectly, and their assembly takes maybe 10 minutes. By chance, I wanted to ask, if someone replaced the stock cable with silver plated copper or gold plated copper? I currently have a copper one and I'm wondering if it makes sense to invest in one of the above-mentioned. If yes, what change/improvement of sound could I expect?
Good to know about the ZMF Auteur pads.
I'm perfectly happy with a silver copper cable I bought via eBay from China for $26.00. The sound is just as good as the factory cable, which I found far too long and heavy.

Jun 26, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #2,166 of 2,189
@Luccasso1983: Congratulations on the headphones.

The pads from ZMF, type Auteur, fit in terms of size, but they thicken the sound image unsightly. Thus equipped, the Pioneer SE-MASTER1 plays clearly below value. The Dekoni Audio Elite Fenestrated Sheepskin Replacement Ear Pads are the better alternative. Only their fit is not one hundred percent. They are minimally too small. Therefore, the winding should be done with caution, otherwise the seams may tear.

However, one should not forget that the headphone amplifier also has a massive influence on the capabilities of the Pioneer SE-MASTER1. There is a huge difference if I listen with Gustrad, Burton Conductor or ZÄHL HM1.

Lavricables Grand Line are much more expensive than a Made in China cable, but you wouldn't get the idea and want to drive an DB Vantage with 145 tires, would you? A treatment of the cable in a freezer (look at cooltech.at) is recommended in any case.

Jun 27, 2023 at 4:30 AM Post #2,167 of 2,189
@Luccasso1983: Congratulations on the headphones.

The pads from ZMF, type Auteur, fit in terms of size, but they thicken the sound image unsightly. Thus equipped, the Pioneer SE-MASTER1 plays clearly below value. The Dekoni Audio Elite Fenestrated Sheepskin Replacement Ear Pads are the better alternative. Only their fit is not one hundred percent. They are minimally too small. Therefore, the winding should be done with caution, otherwise the seams may tear.

However, one should not forget that the headphone amplifier also has a massive influence on the capabilities of the Pioneer SE-MASTER1. There is a huge difference if I listen with Gustrad, Burton Conductor or ZÄHL HM1.

Lavricables Grand Line are much more expensive than a Made in China cable, but you wouldn't get the idea and want to drive an DB Vantage with 145 tires, would you? A treatment of the cable in a freezer (look at cooltech.at) is recommended in any case.
Thank You for answer. I've noticed that ZM Auteur are bassy, maybe sometimes to much, but on other hand, it is useful when listening to "brightly-recorded" tracks, especially old-rock ones. I honestly admit that I was thinking about buying fenestrated pads, but after what the user Evgeniy92 wrote, quote "with perforated ear pads, the sound on sem1 becomes too thin, without body, which now seems wrong to me", I decided to buy sheepskin Auteur's for closed-back headphones (I know SEM1 are open ones). Of course, curiosity will prevail and after some time I will also try try fenestrated pads, to see what is the difference between them:) I also agree, that source has considerable impact on final sound, that's why I want to ask You which of these mentioned amplifiers do you think drives the SEM1 best? To be honest, I had, dedicated to these headphones, Pioneer U-05 and Burson Playmate Everest and I've sold both and I still drive them using 6,3mm plug from Marantz PM7005 (as a source I use professionally modified AIM SC808 sound card, I can post a picture of it if someone is interested). I know it can't sound weird, even ridiculous, but for me personally, sound offered by Marantz's build-in headphone amplifier (unfortunately this solution is not a common practice in today's amplifiers) is simply more fun to listen. Both Pioneer U-05 and Burson Playmate Everest are based on the ESS Sabre chip, which is known to be a bit lifeless, flat, lacking in bass-region and I couldn't change that with any built-in digital filters. Of course, they offer maybe more spacious, cleaner sound but for me, the overall sound was incomplete. Maybe higher Burson models drive SEM1 better, I don't know. ..(You mentioned about Burson Conductor). Anyway, I will also be happy to hear from other users what you drive these headphones, so feel free to join the conversation....... because these headphones are worth it:)

Jun 27, 2023 at 5:16 AM Post #2,168 of 2,189
Both a Pioneer U-05 and a Burson Conductor lack a lot in my opinion, especially neutrality. So, yes, Luccasso1983, fully agree. The Pioneer SE-MASTER1 can only be as good as the amplifier allows it to be. A Benchmark AHB2 is an interesting piece of equipment in my opinion. Whether one needs the headphone amplifier HM1 from the brand Zähl Elektronik-Tontechnik, one must decide for itself. But you should have heard it, otherwise you don't know what you are missing.

Sep 30, 2023 at 7:21 AM Post #2,172 of 2,189
Has anyone listened to the new Yamaha YH-5000SE and can share a bit vs. the SEM1? I kinda love these outlier headphones that're like moonshots from these big companies, so the new Yamahas are really calling to me.
I had at CanJam London. Yamaha sounds more natural with better bass quality that goes deeper, better instrument separation and a wider soundstage.
It is definitely one of the best headphone out there at the moment. And the comfort is incredible only 320 gr, Pioneer is heavier too 460 gr. Yamaha is very expensive but who can afford it is worth it in the long run. It will bring you years and years of audio enjoyment.

Sep 30, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #2,173 of 2,189
I had at CanJam London. Yamaha sounds more natural with better bass quality that goes deeper, better instrument separation and a wider soundstage.
It is definitely one of the best headphone out there at the moment. And the comfort is incredible only 320 gr, Pioneer is heavier too 460 gr. Yamaha is very expensive but who can afford it is worth it in the long run. It will bring you years and years of audio enjoyment.
Thanks for the feedback. I will have to search them out on my travels. I'm still surprised at how light they are. I hope they still feel like top notch quality in hand.

Sep 30, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #2,174 of 2,189
The issue with the Pioneer is the ear pads. They need light perforation and then the headphones are excellent. Pioneer offers no support but slanted pads with some perforation make it an entirely different headphone.

Oct 18, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #2,175 of 2,189
@ jamato8: Full agreement.

Onkyo Corporation - including the Onkyo, Pioneer, Pioneer Elite and Integra brands - filed for bankruptcy at the Osaka District Court in Japan in mid-May 2022. The headphone division had already been sold to an investment fund in September 2021. The Pioneer SE Master1 thus disappeared completely from the focus of interest as a "legacy product". The spare parts/stock had already been massively reduced before due to the disastrous financial situation.

Originally, the Pioneer SE Master1s were supposed to be equipped with other ear pads for example (according to a former project participant). This was discarded - due to cost pressure; the disintegrating plastic headband is also due to this circumstance alone. The margin had to be optimized at that time, at any price. Later, attempts were made to save what could no longer be saved with cheap plastic shells in a wooden look.

We can do it right. With the appropriate accessories. Thus, in my opinion, the headphones are still among the top 10 today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back