Philips Fidelio X2?!
Sep 23, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #376 of 15,268
  I don't find Headfonia reliable either. They reviews are very subjective. One of the guys owns a headphones shop and promotes what he sells. Other is just a European guy with no background in audio, he's no better than any Head-fi member. Tyll on the other hand is an experienced and respected reviewer.

Headphonia lacks of objectivity because they tend to be over enthusiastic. Remember the review of the L2. A lol review.

I trust Tyll much more than the clowns of Headfonia.

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #377 of 15,268
I don't like Headfonia either, sorry to say, but their reviews are just not reliable or worthwhile to me. I understand some people prefer subjective approach, is okay, I don't agree but is okay, but Headfonia goes to another level with it. Page after page of gushing, and everything makes a difference and it's always a huge difference, meanwhile not a single measurement or true knowledge to be found.

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #378 of 15,268
  I don't like Headfonia either, sorry to say, but their reviews are just not reliable or worthwhile to me. I understand some people prefer subjective approach, is okay, I don't agree but is okay, but Headfonia goes to another level with it. Page after page of gushing, and everything makes a difference and it's always a huge difference, meanwhile not a single measurement or true knowledge to be found.

I can't help but agree. It's kind of a shame, since their website is quite the looker. Seems they're all-show, no go. Innerfidelity's practically the exact opposite. 

Sep 23, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #379 of 15,268
For mainly mids comparison I used the Angus and Julia Stone "Black Crow" and "For You" tracks (320kbps) (male and female vocals) at first than London Grammar.

Angus and Julia Stone "Black Crow" and "For You" tracks (320kbps)
K340: Less 3D. Less stage width/height/depth... Mids are slightly more forward. Definition is excellent. Details are clearly heard. Slightly drier sounding compared to X2. But very very enjoyable on the mids.
Switching to X2: Real 3D image. Stage is huuuuge! Layering is better. Mids seems slightly less forward compared to K340 at first. Than suddenly I realize that the stage is so large that everything is located in an appropriate distance to each other and the mids are not less forward anymore (my brain adjusts the new sound stage and signature in 5-7 seconds). I can clearly say - even the K340 is excellent on mids- with X2 a veil on the mids are removed (I can't say K340 is veiled even a tiny bit but in comparison this is the situation).

London Grammar "Hey Now" from youtube KEXP radio record.
K340 did an excellent job here. It sounds fantastic with the London Grammar. Extension of the female highs are so well pronounced that my ears can convince myself that she is singing live in the small screen of the iP Touch right in front of me :)) May be recording also helps to differentiate the results. Dunno. Or may be thats the female vocal I want to hear... Also this record is made in a small studio and doesn't require a large space. So K340 stage fits better. I prefer the K340 slightly more over the X2 for this recording.

Extra:
Comfort: X2 is better.
Fun factor: X2 is better.

PS: K340 is a legendary (cult) electrostatic-dynamic headphone produced about 20-25 years ago by AKG. My K340 is highly modded and re-cabled with SPC wire. Also I have to add that K340 has at least3 different versions (some believe 4-5 versions). Mine is the most balanced version which is going to die with me (will never sell it).

I used the same setup to play the songs as mentioned on my previous post (2 post earlier).

My listening levels are in between 60-80 dB. I generally use a scientific grade and calibrated SPL meter to adjust the sound level of my HP and iems.

Sep 23, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #380 of 15,268
thanks, I think I'm really set on the X2

anyway I noticed that X2 has bigger external headband compared to X1, first time I noticed this:

Sep 24, 2014 at 6:25 AM Post #384 of 15,268
sorry guys 
tongue.gif

at least I hope to be one of the first to have it, the first bunch I passed on, but they should become available again in days

Sep 24, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #385 of 15,268
Definitely curious about the A/B of these with the X1. I got a pair for relatively cheap, but if the increase is that profound I'll certainly consider it.

Sep 26, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #389 of 15,268
It really just looks like an improved X1 in terms of functionality. The bigger external headband is a BOON for people like me. The X1 was practically hurting from my head pushing tbe lower headband into the external one, due to lack of clearance. Looks like it won't be an issue now.

My problem with the X1 is mainly that it's midbass was fatiguing to my ears. Not that there was too much, but it hit my ears in the wrong way. That, and it lacked control. I love my bass like anyone else, but it felt a bit loose and slow. I'm exaggerating though, since overall, the X1 is among my very favorite headphones.

Sep 26, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #390 of 15,268
It really just looks like an improved X1 in terms of functionality. The bigger external headband is a BOON for people like me. The X1 was practically hurting from my head pushing tbe lower headband into the external one, due to lack of clearance. Looks like it won't be an issue now.

My problem with the X1 is mainly that it's midbass was fatiguing to my ears. Not that there was too much, but it hit my ears in the wrong way. That, and it lacked control. I love my bass like anyone else, but it felt a bit loose and slow. I'm exaggerating though, since overall, the X1 is among my very favorite headphones.

yeah but improvements in the areas you mention simply means getting it right. Its so close! I don't think you are exaggerating at all. I would like its bass to be a little tighter as well. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back