Philips Fidelio X2?!
Sep 21, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #361 of 15,268
I don't find Headfonia reliable either. They reviews are very subjective. One of the guys owns a headphones shop and promotes what he sells. Other is just a European guy with no background in audio, he's no better than any Head-fi member. Tyll on the other hand is an experienced and respected reviewer.

I prefer to visit Headfonia sometimes thought and agreed with the Tyll part.

Sep 21, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #362 of 15,268
What does Philips say about inside changes...? And when you can buy them it's here in Holland and not on Amazon,do not trust that at all,maybe he painted it to look like the X1 haha

Actually yeah, I hate to think it but it may almost be so. The X1 seems to have some obvious flaws with the cable and pads and maybe it was a product rushed out the door a little bit, or not given a lot of focus. But then Philips saw how popular the X1 got, and realized they needed to optimize their product a bit. And then you get the X2.

I am still hoping for the sort of difference Sennheiser made from HD600 to HD650, but I have very serious doubts this will be anything like that.

Sep 21, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #363 of 15,268
^^^Tyll is dope! I always check him first.
Quote:

I don't find Headfonia reliable either. They reviews are very subjective. One of the guys owns a headphones shop and promotes what he sells. Other is just a European guy with no background in audio, he's no better than any Head-fi member.

So far, what concerns my gear, their reviews have been very accurate imho. There are more known review sites and forums which I personally find less reliable than Headphonia (cough cough, can`t say it out loud) but there are many different nuances always in reviews and hi-fi related gear is always kind of subjective. Own ear is the king in the end :wink: But this is already offtopic...
Lets wait for reviews.
  X2 is now 229€ at Amazon.it.
http://www.amazon.it/Philips-Fidelio-X2-Cuffie-Nero/dp/B00MRUPSHQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1411293284&sr=8-2&keywords=fidelio+x2 

M`kay... already price dropping pretty "low". Another thing that makes me think it`s not much upgrade from X1 
rolleyes.gif

frown.gif
true .....but amazon.it has low prices on philips for some reason. I bought the l2 there for a lot less than it was supposed to sell for so you cant go by that. I think I paid 250 for a brand new l2 when it was 299 on another amazon site. I was hoping this one would ship to the US but it doesnt. Some headphones ship to the US from amazon.it and some dont.

Sep 22, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #364 of 15,268
I bought my L2 from Amazon.it too. Gotta love the Italians. :)

If Fidelio X2 indeed sounds similar to X1 (warm), I wonder how it will compare to L2? Because compared to X1 and L1, L2 is a lot more neutral and transparent with better quality but lower quantity bass.

Sep 22, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #365 of 15,268

If Fidelio X2 indeed sounds similar to X1 (warm), I wonder how it will compare to L2? Because compared to X1 and L1, L2 is a lot more neutral and transparent with better quality but lower quantity bass.

This is exactly how L2 sounded to my noob ears vs X2 and also was more detailed i think.

Sep 22, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #366 of 15,268

This is exactly how L2 sounded to my noob ears vs X2 and also was more detailed i think.

frown.gif

Sep 22, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #367 of 15,268
I have never run into a situation where "higher quality bass" and "less bass" weren't intrinsically linked.

I am honestly of the opinion that "higher quality" means nothing but "less of it" in 95% of the cases where it's used. It's like how "more treble" equals "clearer". 

Sep 22, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #368 of 15,268
  I have never run into a situation where "higher quality bass" and "less bass" weren't intrinsically linked.

I am honestly of the opinion that "higher quality" means nothing but "less of it" in 95% of the cases where it's used. It's like how "more treble" equals "clearer". 

Not necessarily. I had AKG Q701 (which I hated). It had no bass whatsoever, and the little bass it had was lousy and lame.

Sep 22, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #369 of 15,268

This!

This is why some basslight cans are constantly recommended to people looking for huge bass.

Sep 22, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #370 of 15,268

This is true but to me it feels like I get more details when trebel is increased while more bass gives a more muffled sound. This is my experions with the headphones I have tried out. For example, I hear a lot more details in Beyerdynamic DT990 then the Philips X1 and this is probably manly due to a lot more trebel in 990. I suspect that this depends to  certain point on taste and experience of the listener.

In reglar speakers you often have more elements and this will avoid bleeding. 

Im a noob when it comes to headphones so maybe there is several elements even in a headphone? but it feels like to much base could destroy the trebel.

Sep 22, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #371 of 15,268
Slightly off topic, but this is what I am doing right now and wanted to share :

I am comparing X2 to DT150 right now. Both connected to:  iPTouch Line out -> RCA -> DV336SE tube amp (Psvane CV181 T2 front, Zaerix 6AS7G back tube).

X2 is a clear sounding HP. The source you feed is the question here. X2 is also warmer and has a full bottom end. Has very huge soundstage (hugest I have ever heard - in every direction).

X2 puts distance between different instruments where DT150 puts less space. So overall perceived clarity seems slightly more with DT 150 but its not the case... With X2 I can hear every detail but in a big soundstage with distance to each of them. So my brain need to focus more if I have to pick them up individually. Layering is unbelievable on X2's.

On my list I have classicals, rock, chillout, etc... While listening Angus and Julia Stone "Hold On" with X2 I have tried to lower my "head" and secure it from the "sound" hitting to me at the beginning of the song (between 20-25 seconds part). The soundstage and especially ss depth is amazeballs. Like the real thing... Right now listening to "Bring me to Life" from Evanescence and those drum attacks arrrggh, I feel the membrane of the drum vibrates after each kick with X2... I can nearly imagine it if I close my eyes...

On the other hand, bass is very good pronounced and very clean on DT150. It's more linear bass till the subbass region on DT150 then it gains some more dB. Because of this sspecially subbass is a star on DT150 though I would prefer more linear bass. X2 bass region is not linear as well...

When you switch to DT150 from X2 you feel the reverb of the DT150 because its a closed HP design where with X2 sound feels more airier without the reverb.  Both of them very enjoyable... I am giving the edge to X2 for the FUN factor and huge soundstage. Both are excellent phones though and for different usages...

(... and YES, I am comparing apples to oranges right now
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

Sep 22, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #372 of 15,268
X2 is a clear sounding HP. The source you feed is the question here. X2 is also warmer and has a full bottom end. Has very huge soundstage (hugest I have ever heard - in every direction).

With proper cable and amping X1 also turns into clear sounding HP imho. 
To me seems like in case of X1, also X2 pairs (needs?) tube amp, tube buffered DAC or "tubey" sounding SS to reach to its potential. Tightens bass & kick, boosts littlebit mids, "smooths" out treble and makes everything more "accurate" and cleaner/clearer. Just assumptions though, based on personal X1 experience and information/impressions from www.
But yeah, soundstage, airiness, depth and layering should be awesome like on X1.
With X2 I can hear every detail but in a big soundstage with distance to each of them. So my brain need to focus more if I have to pick them up individually. Layering is unbelievable on X2's.

Exactly same words about X1 :wink: But with proper matching tube, I find "need to focus more" can be almost gone while not turning things into too analytical-sounding and maintaining very enjoyable dynamical sound.

Back to subject... haven`t been lurking around internet lately much... any new impressions or reviews out there somewhere?

Sep 22, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #373 of 15,268
  Slightly off topic, but this is what I am doing right now and wanted to share :

I am comparing X2 to DT150 right now. Both connected to:  iPTouch Line out -> RCA -> DV336SE tube amp (Psvane CV181 T2 front, Zaerix 6AS7G back tube).

X2 puts distance between different instruments where DT150 puts less space. So overall perceived clarity seems slightly more with DT 150 but its not the case... With X2 I can hear every detail but in a big soundstage with distance to each of them. So my brain need to focus more if I have to pick them up individually. Layering is unbelievable on X2's.

On my list I have classicals, rock, chillout, etc... While listening Angus and Julia Stone "Hold On" with X2 I have tried to lower my "head" and secure it from the "sound" hitting to me at the beginning of the song (between 20-25 seconds part). The soundstage and especially ss depth is amazeballs. Like the real thing... Right now listening to "Bring me to Life" from Evanescence and those drum attacks arrrggh, I feel the membrane of the drum vibrates after each kick with X2... I can nearly imagine it if I close my eyes...

On the other hand, bass is very good pronounced and very clean on DT150. It's more linear bass till the subbass region on DT150 then it gains some more dB. Because of this sspecially subbass is a star on DT150 though I would prefer more linear bass. X2 bass region is not linear as well...

When you switch to DT150 from X2 you feel the reverb of the DT150 because its a closed HP design where with X2 sound feels more airier without the reverb.  Both of them very enjoyable... I am giving the edge to X2 for the FUN factor and huge soundstage. Both are excellent phones though and for different usages...

(... and YES, I am comparing apples to oranges right now
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

Do you own HD650, 600 or 598? How you do feel about the MIDS on the X2.?

Sep 23, 2014 at 4:56 AM Post #375 of 15,268

Do you own HD650, 600 or 598? How you do feel about the MIDS on the X2.?

No, I don't have, sorry...

Also, how does it compare to Hifiman He-400 if you tried it.

No, I haven't tried, sorry...

I will compare the mids of the X2 to one of the best headphones out there famous/known of their mids quality: AKG K340 electrostat-dynamics

and inform the community...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back