PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Jul 21, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #6,181 of 9,120
UGHHHHH what a pita.... I finally got my inverter and led back light strip.   Installed it, and it was worked great:

Second monitor for $35! Nice and bright with no dark spots but then I barely nudge the led strip and they become about 25% as bright as they were before.  I didn't even bend it and I don't see any damage, any ideas?  I really don't want to spend another $15 and have to wait for shipping from China all over again

Jul 21, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #6,182 of 9,120
  UGHHHHH what a pita.... I finally got my inverter and led back light strip.   Installed it, and it was worked great:

Second monitor for $35! Nice and bright with no dark spots but then I barely nudge the led strip and they become about 25% as bright as they were before.  I didn't even bend it and I don't see any damage, any ideas?  I really don't want to spend another $15 and have to wait for shipping from China all over again

Nice! I want to do something like this and use it to make a digital gaming surface for tabletop RPGs.

Something like this:

Jul 21, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #6,183 of 9,120
Yeah it'd be nice if the POS backlight didn't fail randomly after a minute of use.  I have no idea what happened they're all waaaaaaaaay dimmer now.  

Seriously not about to spend another $15 on an led strip that cost 50 cents to manufacture 
mad.gif

and now it's either nice and bright or completely off when it's rubbed up against the display's frame at a certain angle.  I have no idea what's going on.

Jul 21, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #6,184 of 9,120
okay i hv a question. i have a couple region 1 dvds... for a short while i stay at non-region 1 country... i'm thinking of buying external dvd drive for my pc and laptop... but does local external dvd drive for pc / laptop region 0 (unlocked) or is it also locked to my country's region like if i buy a normal bluray / dvd player..

Jul 21, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #6,185 of 9,120
  Yeah it'd be nice if the POS backlight didn't fail randomly after a minute of use.  I have no idea what happened they're all waaaaaaaaay dimmer now.  

Seriously not about to spend another $15 on an led strip that cost 50 cents to manufacture 
mad.gif

and now it's either nice and bright or completely off when it's rubbed up against the display's frame at a certain angle.  I have no idea what's going on.

Bad connection somewhere probably.

I would have thought a voltage regulator (or something of that kind)

Jul 21, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #6,186 of 9,120
okay i hv a question. i have a couple region 1 dvds... for a short while i stay at non-region 1 country... i'm thinking of buying external dvd drive for my pc and laptop... but does local external dvd drive for pc / laptop region 0 (unlocked) or is it also locked to my country's region like if i buy a normal bluray / dvd player..

There is actually region locking on external and internal optical disc drives. Its not a hardware limitation but a firmware limitation. Just a heads up, not all drives can be made region free.

http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/region_page1.html
http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/rpc1.htm

Jul 22, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #6,189 of 9,120
Whatever happened to Malware Bytes and Ad Aware?

Oh right. They became consumerized after their success with pc fixers. 

All of these once were mighty toolboxes of great virus fixer uppers have now become Malware themselves. Not malware as in bad malware. But malware as in they literally are part of the issue. 

Malware Bytes with its new consumer updated UI made me think it was a malware at first or a fake. This wasn't the biggest problem. The biggest problem was that you couldn't delete and remove malware and all that after scanning. None. You had to scan. Quarantine all. And then go into its settings for Quarantine and then click the small 'delete all' button. 

Ad Aware was the worst. AUTO start with computer AND THEN a notification about buying the pro variant. What. Auto starting programs and ones that ask for money are literally the most visible issues PC repairman have to fix and clean up. 

Not to mention that both use business schemes now to hide and make confusing the versions you are downloading (some auto activate pro trials) and then ask you for money. It's clear that you are using the free version to a repairman. But its still none the less a bit hidden in terms of what it is you are 'using' in the sense of not knowing if the program changed to a paid model. 

Jul 22, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #6,191 of 9,120
Avast and AVG are the same way. They used to be GREAT, but then the Marketing department took over...

I officially dislike Ad Aware

Malware Bytes transofmration....is standable. It is tricky in terms of just using the free version as it does have notifications and pop ups on money

But Ad Aware has officially become a malware by itself. Annoying, resource intensive as it does warnings and scans during startup boot, and constantly asks you to buy it despite me using the free version. 

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #6,194 of 9,120
Just downloaded Avira for a client computer. First time using it .....in like years

Good reviews as one of the better free AVs out there.

BUT What did they do to it? Did they crapify Consumerfi and make it mobile style popouts as well?

EDIT:
http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&postID=1293462

Yep. They crapified consumerfied, signupfied first AVIRA.

Uninstalled you POS softwares that I used to always use. 

It only installs the dashboard thing when you 'install' AVIRA. You then need to go through another process of signing up and managing through online interface to get everything. 

Next trial AV. AVAST. 

EDIT:

WHAT THE FRICKING ****. AVASTs download link, links you to CNETs stupid adware laced installer platform. 

WHAT....THE ...HELL. 

edit:

Last chance for AVAST. Downloading it though Ninite. If it is also a piece of schiit-fi, consumer-fi, signup-fi software like AVIRA. It's going to the graveyard of software I never install on client builds or my own again. 

Finally got it. PSA for all those that need to instal AV for client builds but can't/don't use MSE. Use Ninite to get AVAST and unless you want a headache, don't go AVIRA. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back