PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Jul 23, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #6,211 of 9,120
Mainly because I worked in a computer repair shop and am Mr. GET OVAH HIER TO FIX MAH COMPUDER during family reunions. 

No.... I'm thinking of the 360 AV that you are talking about. 

It wasn't a bad AV. Just that every computer that had it on had a schiit tons of viruses. Not that that is indicative of bad AV. Just bad memories. 
I shudder to think of using anything other than Chrome nowadays, I'm too used to it.

Jul 23, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #6,212 of 9,120
I shudder to think of using anything other than Chrome nowadays, I'm too used to it.

That's the idea that most older people who use IE have.

Back in their day. There was also a myriad of browsers. However in the end, the one that won and that experts deemed best was IE.

Other browsers in the day were tied to AOL or other old (no longer around) ISPs and had access that only allowed you to visit certain things and other restrictions. 

And then.. IE won and everyone got comfortable. Hell. IE got comfortable being at the top and became terrible for almost a decade before they realized.....that their brand was dieing because a lot of the new generation and some of the older had an idea that IE was kinda crappy if not bad. And then came their new image.  The new IE is quite fast and actually has many merits in specs and performance. However it still uses an archaic settings panel 'Internet options' and has too many redundant and multi-window things needed to perform actions. (some open up system prompts while others are in its own panel). 

Chrome and Firefox are head to head with both winning some and losing some depending on what part of the year the benchmarks are done at.

Jul 23, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #6,213 of 9,120
  That's the idea that most older people who use IE have.

Back in their day. There was also a myriad of browsers. However in the end, the one that won and that experts deemed best was IE.

Other browsers in the day were tied to AOL or other old (no longer around) ISPs and had access that only allowed you to visit certain things and other restrictions. 

And then.. IE won and everyone got comfortable. Hell. IE got comfortable being at the top and became terrible for almost a decade before they realized.....that their brand was dieing because a lot of the new generation and some of the older had an idea that IE was kinda crappy if not bad. And then came their new image.  The new IE is quite fast and actually has many merits in specs and performance. However it still uses an archaic settings panel 'Internet options' and has too many redundant and multi-window things needed to perform actions. (some open up system prompts while others are in its own panel). 

Chrome and Firefox are head to head with both winning some and losing some depending on what part of the year the benchmarks are done at.

I'm probably going to end up clinging to Windows 8 too XD

Jul 23, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #6,214 of 9,120
  Mainly because I worked in a computer repair shop and am Mr. GET OVAH HIER TO FIX MAH COMPUDER during family reunions. 

It wasn't a bad AV. Just that every computer that had it on had a schiit tons of viruses. Not that that is indicative of bad AV. Just bad memories. 

Just about any computer I've seen in China is enough to make me shudder. Although, I could say the same with a lot of computers I've seen in America from classmates or family, but you can't expect them to know any better (although in this day and age, at least the children and teenagers should at least know how to not get viruses while browsing and that obviously is not something that's true because too many people are ignorant and lazy to find out how the things they use work).

Jul 23, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #6,217 of 9,120
  I prefer 8.1 to 8 but I'm not bothering to rewipe my system just to get to 8.1. 

The upgrades path I don't wanna do as well. 

I feel like stuff like this is the reason I want to switch to Linux. It's basically "Okay, we got something new. Now throw your money at us" with every big release, but it's business so you can't expect much.

Jul 23, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #6,218 of 9,120
  I feel like stuff like this is the reason I want to switch to Linux. It's basically "Okay, we got something new. Now throw your money at us" with every big release, but it's business so you can't expect much.

Or 

"University pays for it"

rolleyes.gif

My University is pretty quick. Enterprise versions of a OS require the IT to approve and push out to allow clients to use. When I read that about 8.1 OS. I lost hope. No way was my school going to have the newest OS in record time right?

2 weeks later and I get a notification that my school has all the enterprise MAKs for 8.1 ready, and up on our download suite for immediate download 
beerchug.gif

Jul 23, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #6,219 of 9,120
  Firefox is nice too. I use both. Not exactly sure how far Chrome can reach because...*cough*Google*cough*.

I used to like Google. 

But it wasn't until I recently analyzed why I liked it that I realized that I don't actually like it. 

I used to like Google like I liked sitting in a chair. IT was just their and it was just what everyone did and said. 

Then I took a look at the way they do things. And realized I don't actually like Google. 

They have a very weird mixture of enterprise and startup feel. They are very professional and enterprisey. But they push out stuff like they are a startup. Half-Assed. 

Youtube and the mass majority of their new gizmo platforms are examples of this. 

Not to mention their entire UI structure and layer is  COMPLETE mess for the sign in/multiple accounts/ and mixing stuff up stuff. 

Jul 23, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #6,221 of 9,120
  Or 

"University pays for it"

rolleyes.gif

My University is pretty quick. Enterprise versions of a OS require the IT to approve and push out to allow clients to use. When I read that about 8.1 OS. I lost hope. No way was my school going to have the newest OS in record time right?

2 weeks later and I get a notification that my school has all the enterprise MAKs for 8.1 ready, and up on our download suite for immediate download 
beerchug.gif

I just don't like the design of Windows. Microsoft's design team needs to get their philosophy cleaned up and better thought out.

I used to like Google. 

But it wasn't until I recently analyzed why I liked it that I realized that I don't actually like it. 

I used to like Google like I liked sitting in a chair. IT was just their and it was just what everyone did and said. 

Then I took a look at the way they do things. And realized I don't actually like Google. 

They have a very weird mixture of enterprise and startup feel. They are very professional and enterprisey. But they push out stuff like they are a startup. Half-Assed. 

Youtube and the mass majority of their new gizmo platforms are examples of this. 

Not to mention their entire UI structure and layer is  COMPLETE mess for the sign in/multiple accounts/ and mixing stuff up stuff. 

Now that I've done more "research" on design (mostly studying the story of Dieter Rams and his influence on design) I actually don't like the direction Google is going with Material Design. I do like the idea that software UI and UX experience should behave in a pleasant way but its mostly their use of color. Their idea is that content is should be bold, but they use too much color. Their goal is to give the UI this playful, basic look but I look at it like the UI should not get in your way. It should not attract attention to things that aren't deserving of it.

I have 8.1 on my PC and 8 on my laptop, and it's funny how often people bash 8 because "It's Windows 8. It's crap".

People just don't like change (they just don't know how to perceive it). Its not the best UI and UX experience but in general it was more polished than Windows 7 as far as speed and performance. A few live tiles like Weather are actually quite useful. So in general, it was a pretty decent change but it was too much change for the general population.

Jul 23, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #6,222 of 9,120

Everytime I walk into my uncle's house, "Halp me wit (fill in random piece of tech here)"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back