PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Jul 17, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #6,136 of 9,120
  it's an old "TX" one.  not modular at all.  I really don't need to be using it - 550w is more than enough for my set up.

No experience with the TX ones. But I don't like using CX for any real builds. 

Bought them before. Wanted to chuck them out the window.

They are bottom line Corsairs that get sales and MIRs more often than episodes of anime are released weekly and have ok performance. Obviously, it depends on what your use for it is. The majority of users will be fine with CXs. 

But the thing, is that its not the CX I care about. But rather that I can find better sales for the same price and with better perf and reliability. 

Example being the XFX 550W Pro that I picked up for $20 during BF. Which is a Seasonic built and based unit with good actual reviews. I don't want the CX430 that is $19.99 after MIR. I've bought a CX in the 500 range and its build was hella crap. It felt like hella crap, and it looked like it was going to explode the moment I plugged it in. 

Jul 17, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #6,137 of 9,120
Oh yeah I got it for free that's the only reason I'm using it.  The OCZ 550w I have is much higher quality, I never really intended to leave the corsair in permanently, just got lazy and never got around to switching back.

Jul 17, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #6,138 of 9,120
Hm...starting to rethink the design. I originally sought after something like the S3 Mini (link, internal layout is on the page before) but that kind of gives you a really awkward footprint for the case if its laying down flat. It would end up around 300 mm wide and around 180-200 mm deep (it depends on how much tolerance I want to give).

As for height, if I want to keep the case within mITX spec I need to allow 58mm over the CPU area so I would end up with 58mm + 1.5875mm (1/16", standard PCB thickness) + 12.7mm (1/4" standoffs, which has a 1/4" standoff female end and a 1/4" male end adding up to a 1/2" long standoff) = around 72.2875 mm tall or around 2.85" which is already much taller than the S3, even more so the S3 mini. This ends up with a final volume of around 3.9L.

Should I want to ignore that 58mm clearance for maximum ITX component height (it really only matters for embedded motherboards like the ones that come with an Atom or E-350 APU) but still compliant in every other way I can whittle it down to around 2.2" (about 56mm) which is much nicer in size. Using this would give me 3.024L.

Current mockup dimensions with the same amount of tolerance at the 24-pin side of the mobo (10mm) would give me 200 x 180 x 105 mm (a little more than the minimum of 4.1125") which gives me a volume of 3.78L, which puts me close to the volume of the mITX and ATX spec case.

So, any advantage of that design? Well there's really only 2; the ability to store more 2.5" hard drives and a smaller footprint if sitting down flat like a DVD/Blu-Ray player.

Okay, so next up, volume comparisons with a SFX PSU! (63.5mm tall, 125mm wide, 100-130mm long for SFX and SFX-L). I'm picking SFX over ATX because of the fact that 1. SFX is more space efficient, 2. they already have good performing units, 3. not ridiculously tall.

So, for the mITX and ATX compliant case (layout is like the S3), we end up with the same height and length is increased by 125mm. Final volume becomes 6.62L.

For the compliant in every way except maximum component height + a SFX PSU, we have to increase the height to accomodate the SFX PSU so new height is 63mm, final volume is 5.7645L.

And for the current design of "Bento" we end up with an increased length of 125mm, height in the upper compartment goes from 2.2"/55.88mm to 62.5mm~63mm. So we add 7mm in height at most. New dimensions are 200mm x 305mm x 112mm which gives us a volume of 6.832L.

Jul 17, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #6,139 of 9,120
http://www.polygon.com/features/2014/7/16/5884227/cd-projekt-the-witcher-3

Nice article on CD Projekt Red and its company walkthrough.

What though

This is a **** move though. Vegetarianism =! Healthy. It often times is healthy, but it doesn't mean it is.

And to many people acustom to a healthy diet of meats, it can be terrible to their digestive system. 

The 'alterntiave' of walking down the street is also hella stupid. 

If it weren't for meat there's a good chance we wouldn't even have the capacity to even debate this schiit.

Jul 17, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #6,140 of 9,120
If it weren't for meat there's a good chance we wouldn't even have the capacity to even debate this schiit.

Meh on that argument.

But still, the alternative of making them walk down the street as a viable alternative is still a **** move.

Owner: "We at Projekt RED will provide all hires with a food kitchen. It will have discounts/Free for all our people *people cheer*. However, meat based foods are the most unhealthy schiit on this Earth and only Vegetarian foods are healthy for all. Thus, our food is only Vegetarian. Legally, we must provide an alternative. Well...you have two legs don't you? Walk down the street if you want to eat meat. We don't like your kind here"

Is how I'm seeing it. 

Jul 17, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #6,141 of 9,120
Meh on that argument.

But still, the alternative of making them walk down the street as a viable alternative is still a **** move.

Owner: "We at Projekt RED will provide all hires with a food kitchen. It will have discounts/Free for all our people *people cheer*. However, meat based foods are the most unhealthy schiit on this Earth and only Vegetarian foods are healthy for all. Thus, our food is only Vegetarian. Legally, we must provide an alternative. Well...you have two legs don't you? Walk down the street if you want to eat meat. We don't like your kind here"

Is how I'm seeing it. 

Yeah.. Does project that kind of message. Imagine salary cuts to the carnivores? Haha
When I think of video game company + vegetarian I recall the movie Grandmas Boy.

Here's a fairly recent article:
http://m.livescience.com/24875-meat-human-brain.html

Not going to make a tldr, it can be argued that a number of vegetables are unhealthy, and cause diseases.

Jul 17, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #6,142 of 9,120
Yeah.. Does project that kind of message. Imagine salary cuts to the carnivores? Haha
When I think of video game company + vegetarian I recall the movie Grandmas Boy.

Here's a fairly recent article:
http://m.livescience.com/24875-meat-human-brain.html

Not going to make a tldr, it can be argued that a number of vegetables are unhealthy, and cause diseases.

Meh, a lot of sceince doesn't have to be 'true true'. Evidence =! Full Truth

Jul 17, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #6,143 of 9,120
Meh, a lot of sceince doesn't have to be 'true true'. Evidence =! Full Truth

Lets just discredit the research of hundreds of scientists who have dedicated their lives to the matter :wink:)

Just messing around. This subject of anthropology always gets the professors giddy haha. They preach this as if it were a religion

Jul 17, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #6,145 of 9,120
Did you guys know that one customer support guy from Comcast denied a cancellation of their internet service?

Absolutely stunning!

As someone who works in the cable industry that recording was absolutely appalling. The customer was exceptionally calm about canceling his services throughout the call. When I was on the phones I loved customers like him. Most of the time I'd give them anything they asked if they were composed and treated me like a human being. Considering about 85% of my calls were people who were inconsiderate then you can surmise it wasn't often that a customer would get me to go out of my way on their behalf. The representative could and should have handled it much better than he did.

Jul 18, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #6,146 of 9,120
Just found a GPU deal. But in vastly limited quantities. 

I'll post it tomorrow. My friend needs a new GPU and isn't awake yet.

The deal is basically an R9 280X for $195 w/ Free Shipping from a top online retailler. 

I keep seeing deals on the R9 280 for $180 but none really on the 280x. And all Nvidia deals right now are crap.

R9 280x general is hovering around $320 and same as 770. So yeah, quite a deal. 

Despite only an 'x' change. The R9 280 and R9 280x has an initial MSRP difference of $400 vs $280. 

And the two are respectively the 7950 GHz and 7970GHz. 

Just a PSA for those that are unaware of stuff

Jul 18, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #6,147 of 9,120
Hmmph - I'm currently trying to get Comcast business services to complete an install that was promised 2 weeks ago. The Sales rep won't respond to my emails or phone calls, and all I'm getting is the run around when I try to reach someone on the installation team. However, I have received 4 phones calls from different Comcast sales reps asking if I'm still interested in ordering service. The only thing that keeps Comcast in business is that all of the other telcos and ISPs are just as bad or worse! Worst part of my job is that I have to deal with Comcast, Verizon, CenturyLink, TW Telecom & Cox. They ALL suck!!

Jul 18, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #6,148 of 9,120
  Just found a GPU deal. But in vastly limited quantities. 

I'll post it tomorrow. My friend needs a new GPU and isn't awake yet.

The deal is basically an R9 280X for $195 w/ Free Shipping from a top online retailler. 

I keep seeing deals on the R9 280 for $180 but none really on the 280x. And all Nvidia deals right now are crap.

R9 280x general is hovering around $320 and same as 770. So yeah, quite a deal. 

Despite only an 'x' change. The R9 280 and R9 280x has an initial MSRP difference of $400 vs $280. 

And the two are respectively the 7950 GHz and 7970GHz. 

Just a PSA for those that are unaware of stuff

Wouldn't be surprised if they were OOS.  I want one!  (I think I do, depends on the noise/heat)

Jul 18, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #6,149 of 9,120

Wouldn't be surprised if they were OOS.  I want one!  (I think I do, depends on the noise/heat)

I'll post it once my friend decides on getting it or not. Mainly because quantities are low. Sorry 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back