PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Jul 15, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #6,106 of 9,120
I said "CAD Jockeys" not "CAD Monkeys"... :wink:

And yes, I agree that CAD techs don't really exist anymore - which was part of my point. You might have the title of engineer, but someone still needs to make sure all the holes line-up and that all the required specs are on the drawing, and that's probably going to be a more junior engineer or an intern. One of the critical skills for any young mechanical or industrial engineer is to know Solidworks. If you are into electronics, then you'll probably be using ECAD tools like Cadence.

Most PC board design is based on the original reference design done by whoever owns the primary component in the design. For example, the vast majority of commodity-priced graphics cards are just minor tweaks on the reference designs from NVIDIA and AMD. A large number of commodity routers are based on the Broadcom or Atheros reference designs. I'll bet a company like XFX puts as much (maybe more) effort into the design of the box as they do the design of the board. :p

Jul 15, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #6,107 of 9,120
This doesn't look very friendly at all. 
tongue.gif

Jul 15, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #6,109 of 9,120
Realized I was looking at the wrong spec sheet for the PCIe connector (1.1 instead of 2.0) but it only required a 0.1mm adjustment so we're good. Progress:

I'm not exactly sure what to put in for the contact thickness since there's 0.10 and 0.05 mm on the spec sheet.

Jul 15, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #6,110 of 9,120
Okay, had to go fix finger height of standard pins and shorten a few of the other pins to the 3.20mm length (break first, make last pins). The finger length in the 2.0 diagram doesn't match at all. Diagram shows 4.30mm (no dimensions but shows it touching the lower line) while specs say that the shorter pins (3.20mm) are 1.00mm shorter than the longer pins (so those are 4.20mm instead).

Contact height I might skip.

Jul 15, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #6,112 of 9,120
Anyone have experience with the Fractal Define R4? Thoughts? Thinking of getting a new case to move to, something quiet and simple, but still large enough to slap my ATX board and schitt ton of HDDs into.

Jul 15, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #6,113 of 9,120
  Anyone have experience with the Fractal Define R4? Thoughts? Thinking of getting a new case to move to, something quiet and simple, but still large enough to slap my ATX board and schitt ton of HDDs into.

I'll be assembling a new computer with the R4 this week. Hopefully I'll get time to do it tomorrow. It definitely looks like it should be an easy case to use. Looking forward to the build.

Jul 15, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #6,114 of 9,120
why is Microsoft ending Windows 7 support so soon!!! I USE THAT!!!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2014/07/10/microsoft-windows-7-mainstream-support/

EVERYBODY NEEDS TO STOP FREAKING THE FRICK OUT!

First off, Microsoft already listed support end dates as soon as Windows 7 was released. THIS IS NOT NEWS.

Also, there are 2 types of support, one called mainstream and the other I don't remember. Mainstream support is basically software optimization for hardware and such. The second support that ends in 2018 or 2020 is security patches and such, so we'll still get security patches, just not performance improvements.

Jul 16, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #6,115 of 9,120
Everyone that has ever called Microsoft for support on Windows 7, please raise your hand...

...right, exactly what I thought - no one.

FYI - it's Mainstream Support vs Extended Support.

From the article:

Jul 16, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #6,118 of 9,120

Almost done! Now I need to do the I/O bracket and trace free areas. Big grey area is single slot component height restrictions btw.

I'm a bit worried that my spec sheets are out of date though. I have the PCI Express Card Electromechanical v2.0 spec sheet from 2007. Generally they don't change much (only the actual connector from 1.1 to 2.0) so this should still be usable for most scratch builds.

Jul 16, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #6,120 of 9,120
http://www.polygon.com/features/2014/7/16/5884227/cd-projekt-the-witcher-3

Nice article on CD Projekt Red and its company walkthrough.

What though
 The tour starts in the cafeteria. It's fully staffed and vegetarian only (with fish). CD Projekt's co-founder, Marcin Iwinski, is a vegetarian and so his company is, too. If you want meat or grease, you can go down the road, but Iwinski would rather provide something healthier for his employees.

This is a **** move though. Vegetarianism =! Healthy. It often times is healthy, but it doesn't mean it is.

And to many people acustom to a healthy diet of meats, it can be terrible to their digestive system. 

The 'alterntiave' of walking down the street is also hella stupid. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back