PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Jul 12, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #6,091 of 9,120
  Dayum. So, my laptop temps dropped quite a bit again. I woke up, thinking that maybe the paste had settled/bonded a bit better overnight. I don't know what happened, but my temp went from 75-80 at full load to about 65 Celcius. Ran Prime95 for a bit and it never topped 65...  

AS5?  Its in the manual
tongue.gif

Jul 14, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #6,096 of 9,120
Yeah, AS5 isn't perfect, but it offers itself as a universal tried and true solution that has international availability, and at good prices. 

It's much easier to tell someone to buy something they vaguely remember someone talking about or a video. It happens with people I know all the time where they don't understand the importance of whiping off stock pre-added crap and using something else.

Also, not everyone is from the USA where availability is at the end of a click. So this is a more important part of being able to get something. 

Lastly, benchmarks of AS5 still put it as one of the most recommended. It doesn't perform the best, but it does have an attractice price point per gram AND is readilly availble pretty much everywhere thanks to its renown.

Half the stuff in benchmarks that has a similar price point ratio or tops the charts....can't be bought or is too expensive for me to care. 

Jul 14, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #6,097 of 9,120
Designing a case is terrifying. I have the layouts down but the standards are murdering me, especially the PCIe spec sheets. So many dimensions are missing its ridiculous.

The design is space efficient but literally only meant for short GPUs (we're talking 750 Ti or MSi/ASUS 760 ITX edition small) so not sure if worth making the effort, but I want something on my college application.

The problem is that this case would be limited to low-powered setups (we're talking about i3s and low TDP versions of i5s here, and that's with Haswell Refresh, along with a 750 Ti or 760 mITX Edition from ASUS or MSi). If I were to make it accept larger heatsinks I'd end up with an NCASE M1 design. PSUs aren't the issue here for once (PicoBox makes some ridiculous high wattage PicoPSUs and I think the HDPLEX 250W can throw out much higher wattage than rated. MiniBox has it covered for 160W and lower).

Meanwhile, the Gigabyte i7 + GTX760 (not M) BRIX machine actually has a GTX870M in it, so good job Gigabyte for making the largest lie of all time. Still hoping to make a uSSF case that can get close to the size of the Alienware Alpha. Not sure what GPU they're planning on putting in that but my guess is a 750 Ti. That's easier to fit into a small case at least if you use Galaxy's single slot 750 Ti Razor which is still nowhere to be found.

Jul 14, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #6,098 of 9,120
  Designing a case is terrifying. I have the layouts down but the standards are murdering me, especially the PCIe spec sheets. So many dimensions are missing its ridiculous.

The design is space efficient but literally only meant for short GPUs (we're talking 750 Ti or MSi/ASUS 760 ITX edition small) so not sure if worth making the effort, but I want something on my college application.

I'm going to be honest and say that it won't matter unless you are applying to, sending, and getting interviewed for and by an art or graphic design college/university.

Designing a case and what not.

Do it for fun and if you need it. Not for if you think it will work on a College application. Because most schools you are going to be applying to, probably won't need you to be interviewed, or to send in a graphic portfolio. 

Putting it in an essay also doesn't do much. Application readers deal with B.S and essays 24/7 in where most Americans write and buff up essays about making, designing, and doing random schiit. 

Do it for fun, not for College. 

Jul 14, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #6,099 of 9,120

I'm going to be honest and say that it won't matter unless you are applying to, sending, and getting interviewed for and by an art or graphic design college/university.

Designing a case and what not.

Do it for fun and if you need it. Not for if you think it will work on a College application. Because most schools you are going to be applying to, probably won't need you to be interviewed, or to send in a graphic portfolio. 

Putting it in an essay also doesn't do much. Application readers deal with B.S and essays 24/7 in where most Americans write and buff up essays about making, designing, and doing random schiit. 

Do it for fun, not for College. 

There's nothing around here to do for college. XD Besides, programming bores me and I don't really have much I can probably do with hardware. Industrial and product design has had my interest for the past year or two and companies are finally realizing how important design is.

*sigh* I have nothing to dislike about the M1 except the fact that it can't house most standard thickness 240mm radiators and only slim ones instead. Not very happy about that.

Jul 14, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #6,100 of 9,120
  There's nothing around here to do for college. XD

*sigh* I have nothing to dislike about the M1 except the fact that it can't house most standard thickness 240mm radiators and only slim ones instead. Not very happy about that.

Don't do too much of one thing is my recommendation. 

Being a great community dude is great, but for College, unless you have a massive and leading heart to spearhead some heartwarming cause. It is almost always greater - for College applications - to be involved in many, and more things. TIME YOU SPENT on it NEVER matters. It's seriously the quantity. And the names of the organization. If the name doesn't immediately melt your heart at how awesome and good it is for the community, skip it. Volunteer your time (80 required hours) at a multitude of different non-profit places OF WHICH the name can easilly discern what it is. Ain't no College application reader gonna care to find out What anything is that doesn't matter. 

However, another alternative, as I earlier said, is to spearhead a leading cause thingy. Nature preservation, cancer walks, fund raising societies etc work, but you NEED to be spearheading them to mean anything. Otherwise, follow the guide ABOVE, and use quantity.

Next, get in the newspaper. Seriously, just write to the newspaper once every month about something you did, and you will probably get an article about you. Panthers go featured in his local newspaper after he told them he built his own computer. 

Our AP classes sometimes has 'mini' competitions that aren't real competitions. Mainly 'meets' and learning center trips that you can call a competition or cooperative conservatory effort on your College Application Resume. And often times, a club or AP based club will happilly take a nerd to fill an empty spot they need for a competition. Forgot completely what they were, but I was asked a few times to be in for some science competitions as spots were needed. They are a days thing, and all you need to do is compete. 

Take APs, do those, don't care for SCHIT about any other class and maintain that 4.0 GPA. If it ain't A.P, it doesn't matter. Just take crap or easy classes to keep a 4.0 or somehow to boost y ou. Nothing seriously else matters. 

Top Colleges only want a set amount of people from a specific region. Find out what Colleges your peers are going for. And try to beat them. It sounds bad, but you won't know them in 5 months once school ends. 

And go visit the Colleges beginning end of Sophomore year

#tips I wish I knew

Jul 15, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #6,102 of 9,120
  Industrial and product design has had my interest for the past year or two and companies are finally realizing how important design is.

Getting into any decent industrial design program is complete bullschiit.  I'm not even talking about the Art Institute of *insert place here* that charge 90k a year but literally every university I've looked at that offers industrial design have totally stuck up ultra selective admissions - or you can go to their school through sophomore year and then not be one of the 6-12% of kids that qualify to go through to upper level courses, a total cash grab as they expect you to change or major or wait and try again next year.  

Seems the job market for ID is a lot like that too, as far as working for companies or firms that you can actually make a career out of.  I wanted to go into ID for a long time but it seems everyone else wants to as well. 

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #6,103 of 9,120
Many years ago I was sent by a large aerospace company to do interviewing at my alma mater. The first question I asked every applicant was "Tell me what *you* want to do for this company." Every one of the dozen engineering students I interviewed said the same thing: "I want to work in aircraft design." And you know what? I said the same thing when I interviewed at the same company a couple of years earlier. Luckily, my interviewer at the time was an old & kindly engineering manager that put his pen down and explained the facts to me. So, I did the same for the students that I interviewed. Here's what he told me:

This company has over 50,000 employees. Our "design department" has 5 guys in it. Every one of those 5 guys has over 30 years of experience developing design concepts. Those concepts are then provided to teams of engineers that try to make the concepts into actual aircraft designs that can fly. The design is then broken down into smaller and smaller chunks until the individual nuts and bolts are specified and drawn by CAD jockeys. You could spend the first 5+ years of your career reviewing and tweaking CAD drawings to make sure the holes line-up, or working on the drawings for the air conditioning vent or the packing crate that is used to ship the A/C vent.

This felt like a lightening bolt had struck me. Of *course* he was correct - I was being a stereotypical eager young engineer that wanted to light the world on fire with my brilliance. And yeah, I'm sure there are a tiny percentage of young college grads that actually do manage to land the perfect job - but everyone else needs to realize that your college degree and your bright ideas mean squat to the management. You have to *earn* the right to be creative. Until then, you need to work hard, be a contributor and wait for an opportunity. When that opportunity does appear - you need to recognize it for what it is - and then go for it!

I owe my career to that kindly old engineering manager - yet other than the perfunctory thank you note I sent him after the interview, I never spoke to him again. :xf_eek:

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:44 AM Post #6,104 of 9,120
Many years ago I was sent by a large aerospace company to do interviewing at my alma mater. The first question I asked every applicant was "Tell me what *you* want to do for this company." Every one of the dozen engineering students I interviewed said the same thing: "I want to work in aircraft design." And you know what? I said the same thing when I interviewed at the same company a couple of years earlier. Luckily, my interviewer at the time was an old & kindly engineering manager that put his pen down and explained the facts to me. So, I did the same for the students that I interviewed. Here's what he told me:
This felt like a lightening bolt had struck me. Of *course* he was correct - I was being a stereotypical eager young engineer that wanted to light the world on fire with my brilliance. And yeah, I'm sure there are a tiny percentage of young college grads that actually do manage to land the perfect job - but everyone else needs to realize that your college degree and your bright ideas mean squat to the management. You have to *earn* the right to be creative. Until then, you need to work hard, be a contributor and wait for an opportunity. When that opportunity does appear - you need to recognize it for what it is - and then go for it!

I owe my career to that kindly old engineering manager - yet other than the perfunctory thank you note I sent him after the interview, I never spoke to him again.
redface.gif

Nice story, one thing that stood out "CAD monkeys"  I don't know if you're still in the engineering field - do they really exist?  Still exist as in those people with Associates degrees, or are the CAD technicians also ultra experienced engineers?  All the people I've talked to say CAD technicians are a dying breed as it's cheaper to throw the work at your higher wage engineers, any job you get as one will offer no opportunity for advancement/"it's a dead end job" is what I've heard too many times. 

So off topic but you need PCs to do cad work right? *Suddenly it's not off topic*

Jul 15, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #6,105 of 9,120
  Getting into any decent industrial design program is complete bullschiit.  I'm not even talking about the Art Institute of *insert place here* that charge 90k a year but literally every university I've looked at that offers industrial design have totally stuck up ultra selective admissions - or you can go to their school through sophomore year and then not be one of the 6-12% of kids that qualify to go through to upper level courses, a total cash grab as they expect you to change or major or wait and try again next year.  

Seems the job market for ID is a lot like that too, as far as working for companies or firms that you can actually make a career out of.  I wanted to go into ID for a long time but it seems everyone else wants to as well. 

I don't really expect myself to make design my career path. Its just something I love doing but not necessarily want to get a job through. I'd probably still try to go after the sciences and do design as a side hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back