PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Nov 9, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #3,331 of 9,120
  Wow, I can't believe audiophiles are blowing off microphone quality as unimportant. 
tongue.gif

The Blue Snowball is only recommended because it's convenient and easy to use, a better set up would be a proper microphone with a mic preamp/interface, but that's going to be more money too.

I set up Ventrilo to use the best codecs available, so the mics aren't overkill at all.

VoIP compresses audio.  Its like buying an HD800 to listen to low quality MP3s 
wink.gif

To what extent depends on limitations, which in my case is upload bandwidth and friends.  Audio quality never gets better than an average gsm call... Usually sounds something like a poorly mastered 48kbps mp3.

I think the Snowball works great for Youtube videos.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsSk4qJ1Mb4
I
f your videos have an average of 10-100 views, might as well stick to a webcam anyways XD

Nov 10, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #3,332 of 9,120
VoIP compresses audio.  Its like buying an HD800 to listen to low quality MP3s :wink:

To what extent depends on limitations, which in my case is upload bandwidth and friends.  Audio quality never gets better than an average gsm call... Usually sounds something like a poorly mastered 48kbps mp3.

I think the Snowball works great for Youtube videos.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsSk4qJ1Mb4

I
f your videos have an average of 10-100 views, might as well stick to a webcam anyways XD
You hurt my feelings... Lol, my channel my grow.

Nov 10, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #3,334 of 9,120

VoIP compresses audio.  Its like buying an HD800 to listen to low quality MP3s 
wink.gif

You need to manually configure the codecs for Ventrilo, a really good codec setting only takes up about 45kbps upload, not much at all!

A good mic is less prone to clipping when you shout, and is better at rejecting background noise and echo, freeing up more bits for your voice. ^^

Even 64kbps mp3's benefit greatly from a $5000 headphone rig. 
wink.gif

Nov 10, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #3,335 of 9,120
I'm buying a Poweline adapter for my Pc, since I'm moving it upstairs, but I have a 30Mb Internet speed, so will buying a 500Mb max adapter have any benefit over the 200Mb one I'm getting? I think not, but I'm not sure. How about a 10/100 Ethernet port vs. a 10/100/1000 port? (Just want to make sure my purchase is worth it. And yes, I know that I'm supposed to know this stuff but I want to make sure.):xf_eek:

Nov 11, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #3,336 of 9,120

You need to manually configure the codecs for Ventrilo, a really good codec setting only takes up about 45kbps upload, not much at all!

A good mic is less prone to clipping when you shout, and is better at rejecting background noise and echo, freeing up more bits for your voice. ^^

Even 64kbps mp3's benefit greatly from a $5000 headphone rig. 
wink.gif

Webcam doesn't clip much or at all as far as I've heard lol.  But you do make sense 
wink.gif

I tweak the codecs on my pbx often, but never tried ventrilo.  Not sure if you can configure teamspeak or skype to use alternate codecs, but I cannot imagine any real benefits for gaming:

1 - I never hear my own voice
2 - Friends have poor quality microphones.  One uses his PS2 eyetoy.. 

Valve integrated voice has always been highly compressed as well.

Nov 11, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #3,338 of 9,120
^

If it does take off, you'll have an actual reason to buy one.  When you have accumulated enough expensive stuff you don't use on your desk, you just might feel >.>

Save $ for whatever life drags you into next
Eh, I only have 12 subs, and I'm trying to get my stuff to be as professional as possible to get some looks. I don't know if anyone on this page that's older than 14 would recommend my channel, lol. I have custom thumbnails and possible monetization.

Nov 11, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #3,339 of 9,120

Eh, I only have 12 subs, and I'm trying to get my stuff to be as professional as possible to get some looks. I don't know if anyone on this page that's older than 14 would recommend my channel, lol. I have custom thumbnails and possible monetization.

Good luck!

Sound quality is extremely important for YouTube videos, and arguably, it's even more important than video quality. When I come across a video with poor sound quality of a 'let's play' or a review, I just immediately close the video. I'm not saying that because of audiophile wankery or anything like that, but if someone talking has lots of pops, clipping, or crazy amounts of echo and background noise, it's just too distracting, and takes away from the content.

You need to have a pleasant voice if you're going to be talking, and a good mic + recording technique will increase your chances of someone staying to listen, rather than just clicking off somewhere else.

Nov 11, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #3,340 of 9,120
Good luck!

Sound quality is extremely important for YouTube videos, and arguably, it's even more important than video quality. When I come across a video with poor sound quality of a 'let's play' or a review, I just immediately close the video. I'm not saying that because of audiophile wankery or anything like that, but if someone talking has lots of pops, clipping, or crazy amounts of echo and background noise, it's just too distracting, and takes away from the content.

You need to have a pleasant voice if you're going to be talking, and a good mic + recording technique will increase your chances of someone staying to listen, rather than just clicking off somewhere else.
I think a 13 year old Asian will have an OK voice, hehe. My friend said on a scale of 20 on talking like a "white"/American is 20. Oh yeah, I don't think the occasional voice crack will help either. :p

Nov 11, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #3,342 of 9,120
I mean, it doesn't sound like I'm using steroids or stoned. (Drugs are stupid)
stoned guy comes across this and is all "don't tell me what to do" and makes a schiity YouTube video. (what I pictured this would do lol)

EDIT: Well my avatar makes it seem like that's what I'll be doing, but it'd not lol. (promise(anytime soon at least))

Nov 11, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #3,343 of 9,120
I'm buying a Poweline adapter for my Pc, since I'm moving it upstairs, but I have a 30Mb Internet speed, so will buying a 500Mb max adapter have any benefit over the 200Mb one I'm getting? I think not, but I'm not sure. How about a 10/100 Ethernet port vs. a 10/100/1000 port? (Just want to make sure my purchase is worth it. And yes, I know that I'm supposed to know this stuff but I want to make sure.):xf_eek:

Bits will only go as fast as the slowest link in the connection path. You can have gigabit all the way from your PC to your cable modem, but if you have 30 Mb/s at the cable modem, then you only have a max of 30 Mb/s to the internet. Connections to local network devices, like another PC on the same local network or a shared local network drive can benefit from a faster LAN, but not when connecting to the internet.

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #3,344 of 9,120
Also, if you plan on doing intense airplay or any streaming stuff like that, a nicer router will help, along with placing it in the room you're using it etc. Also note the strongest protocol the device can handle, no need getting an AC router to improve N performance. :wink:

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #3,345 of 9,120
A good G router is going to be better than a crappy N router.  My router is in the early phases of EOL, anyone know a good N/AC router that is affordable?

My router's spec'ed at 14mW transmit power, been using 240mW for quite some time...  No idea how it affects longevity, but my router has lasted 6-7 years.  I wonder if they make them to last these days  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back