PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Nov 12, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #3,346 of 9,120
Also, if you plan on doing intense airplay or any streaming stuff like that, a nicer router will help, along with placing it in the room you're using it etc. Also note the strongest protocol the device can handle, no need getting an AC router to improve N performance. :wink:
Using Linksys EA6500 (I know), I tried out the Asus A66-R and had problems with it even though it was supposed to e really good..

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #3,352 of 9,120
Anybody else getting Star Citizen? It looks like it'll be phenomenal

Let's just say that preparing for that game is a huge reason why I just put together a new PC.

I also shudder to think about how much money I've thrown at Chris Roberts and the rest of Cloud Imperium Games for pledge packages. There's already a Constellation, Super Hornet and Aurora LX in my hangar.

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #3,353 of 9,120
Let's just say that preparing for that game is a huge reason why I just put together a new PC.

I also shudder to think about how much money I've thrown at Chris Roberts and the rest of Cloud Imperium Games for pledge packages. There's already a Constellation, Super Hornet and Aurora LX in my hangar.

Something I might be interested in.
Is it "pay-to-win" though?
I despise games that give actual advantages by paying for them aside from design or experience based items.

If I can just pat $200 and buy the best ship and weapons, whats the point?

Hopefully it isnt that way and I'll be all over it.

Nov 13, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #3,354 of 9,120
I despise games that give actual advantages by paying for them aside from design or experience based items.

Well, would you? That's the question...

Nov 13, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #3,355 of 9,120
well I finally got around to getting that Corsair 750w psu tested and it's perfectly fine!  8350 with bent pins should be getting shipped out this week and then I'll be set to buy  a second 7970.

Nov 13, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #3,356 of 9,120

They state that it's definitely going to be a skill-based game (meaning an awful pilot in a Super Hornet will probably get blown away by an ace in an Aurora), and pretty much everything you can buy with real money can be bought in-game (save for lifetime insurance, but that's already gone for new backers and only saves you a bit of in-game credit upkeep on hull insurance). On top of that, you can only buy so many credits at once, and the fancier ships are either limited in supply (like the Idris corvette) or can only be bought in-game.

Whether this proves to be true remains to be seen, since we don't even have the dogfighting alpha just yet. That's currently slated for next month.

However, there's no denying that they had to entice people to spend the big bucks on pledge packages somehow, especially if they wanted to get this far on crowd-funding alone...

In other news, running my i7-4770K at 4.6 GHz is proving to be too close to my thermal limits right now, so I've dialed it back a bit to 4.5 GHz at 1.26VID (1.28Vcore). Lowers the heat output enough that I can stress with Prime95 FMA3 and not throttle the poor thing, and if I've gotta get around 1.3VID for 4.6 GHz, that's probably the start of the voltage wall on this particular chip, one I won't be able to pass without delidding, sub-ambient cooling of some sort, or both.

Nov 13, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #3,357 of 9,120
Question: Why aren't some CPU heatsinks spherical? I asked my science teacher this (also built his own PC) and he said that there would be durability issues and whatnot. The thing is, a sphere has a slightly higher surface area than a cube, (.14 more per unit) so more performance. I don't get it. And yes, I've seen the old vortex Cooler Master one from a few years back.

Nov 13, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #3,358 of 9,120

Question: Why aren't some CPU heatsinks spherical? I asked my science teacher this (also built his own PC) and he said that there would be durability issues and whatnot. The thing is, a sphere has a slightly higher surface area than a cube, (.14 more per unit) so more performance. I don't get it. And yes, I've seen the old vortex Cooler Master one from a few years back.

It's all about maximising the volume of a heatsink, it's actually the volume of a heatsink that increases the surface area, because you can fit more fins inside.

Think about the clearances you have from the CPU and adjacent parts like the RAM and the PCI Express ports, something cube/rectangular prism shaped will practically use up all of the free space available.

Nov 13, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #3,359 of 9,120
It's all about maximising the volume of a heatsink, it's actually the volume of a heatsink that increases the surface area, because you can fit more fins inside.

Think about the clearances you have from the CPU and adjacent parts like the RAM and the PCI Express ports, something cube/rectangular prism shaped will practically use up all of the free space available.
My bad, that's what I meant to say. The VOLUME is increased by .14 soooo... An yeah, he said that too. But then again, do the cons outweigh the pros? Maybe, maybe not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back