Oppo Sonica DAC (an affordable ES9038PRO Sabre DAC)
Mar 7, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #197 of 520
I have not so good news from OPPO:

We are using a MediaTek SOC but we do not have any posted specifications for the internal memory storage. The main issue is that the SOC was not designed for gapless playback, so we would need to get the SOC manufacturer to update their SDK to support this feature. This is something that we are working on, but we are not able to guarantee.

I am about it, I think OPPO do not seem to be music lovers.

Mar 7, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #204 of 520
  Can this one be used to drive 300Ω impedance headphones directly from XLR line out? Generally, at what specs. one should look at to find out such a thing?

Generally there are protection resistors at the outputs of DACs. The output impedence is set by the value of these resistors. Op amps have their own protection in case of short circuit of the output or too much current delivery and overheating, so protection resistors are not always necessary. I've not looked closely at what the Sonica has, but my Gustard X20uPro DAC uses 100 Ohm resistors. They are MELF types as thin film types that size are only rated for 1/10 Watt - not enough margin for the heat generated at the elevated voltages that DAC can output.

But, playing my 300 Ohm Sennheiser HD800 cans directly from the X20 sounds fine. putting jumpers on the protection resistors might have better bass, if I get around to trying it and living a little dangerously.

Mar 7, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #205 of 520
I stumbled upon a Japanese diy web page on building a ES9038 DAC that helps explain why Oppo didn't design the DAC with more parallelism of DAC channels for better specs and sonics. The 9038pro is like a 9028pro with each channel being 4 of those dac channels in parallel. Four times the current (1/4th the output impedance) makes design of the current to voltage converter harder, with more current heating resistors in the circuit and producing a distortion from resistor heating non-linearity.

The solution was to use multiple current to voltage converters each on fewer paralleled outputs, and then sum those voltages together for the lowered distortion result. Yes, that means more parts, cost, and board space.

Oppo did something like this by having 4 I/V converters, one each for each balanced and unbalanced output. Not as ideal as having all the outputs for both balanced and unbalanced, but gets around the resistor heating distortion and wanting both types of outputs within the budget and board footprint.

Japanese site (use google translate): http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/yokoyama3322/19035128.html

Mar 8, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #206 of 520
Some new tests of Sonica as a DAC:

Coaxial connection, test #001

Soundaware D100PRO Deluxe as a digital transport, connected to the coaxial input of Sonica:

USB connection, test #001

Asus EEE PC 901 as a digital transport, connected direct to the USB input of Sonica:

=====

Coaxial connection, test #002

USB connection, test #002

=====

Coaxial connection, test #003

USB connection, test #003

Mar 9, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #209 of 520
So @PitBul34 which one do you like best? Oppo Sonica or Denafrips Ares? did you make a determination? you said you are keeping them both. Thanks!

Mar 9, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #210 of 520
I just ordered a SDAC today.

I plan to match and compare not just my HA-1 but also compare the DAC of my BDP 105 to the SDAC.

I'll be connecting the Sonica and the 105 to the XLR Inputs of the HA-1. It'll be pretty much a redundant set up so I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the Sonica but my curiosity is getting the best of me, so I've gotta at least try it out. If I find more sonic bliss and synergy, then I might keep it.

Primary listening will be through the balanced output of the HA-1 with PM-1's and also Senn 6xx (balanced).

I also plan to experiment connecting the HA-1 with SDAC and 105, as source, directly to my Emotiva XPA-5 using XLR inputs (L&R channels only) for stereo playback of NHT Classic 3's direct.

I'll report back after arrival and testing of the Sonica DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back