Oppo Sonica DAC (an affordable ES9038PRO Sabre DAC)
Sep 4, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #511 of 520
Anybody still use this? I noticed that the Oppo site in Japan has a newer firmware than is listed in other regions. I installed it and don't notice any differences.

Also, it is possible to install the USB DAC firmware from the 205 on the Sonica. After doing so, the Sonica can do the first MQA unfold like the 205 does. Can't really verify if it applies MQA filters or not.

Sep 4, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #513 of 520
For the Japan firmware, I had to download the firmware on a USB drive, plug it into the front USB port of the Sonica, and then use the app to update. I let Chrome translate the page to English to get the instructions. I wonder why only the Japan site has the update. I don't use the network feautures. I only use it as a USB DAC.

Hesitant to post the instructions for the 205 cross-flash, since I don't want a bunch of people messing up their Sonica. There is a (weak) check of ID's in a config file that prevents the update, though it is easy to modify. After that, I was able to follow the 205 update instructions of installing the 0115 update and then the 0118 update. After the update, the Sonica identifies to the computer as a 205.

Edit: here is the Japan link for 35-0317 firmware: https://www.oppodigital.jp/support/software-update/sonica-dac/

Last edited:
May 29, 2023 at 4:17 AM Post #517 of 520
Hi,

I would be interested in a second-hand Sonica and I found one for a price that seems decent. But I'd like to be sure that I get what I am looking for. So if anyone can answer those questions I'd be eternally grateful :)

Q1. Can I be driven by a third-party app like BublleUPnp or Symfonium (on Android) ?
Q2. Does it support gapless playback (with BubbleUPnP gapless feature or natively) ?
Q3. Is it known to have reliability problems that will need repairing that can't be done anymore ?
Q4. Anyone who has tried to use headphones from the XLR output ? My headphones would be 13Ohm, but with no stellar sensitivity (92dB/1mW)...
Q5. What would be a fair price for such a device second-hand nowadays ?

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Regards.

FRED

May 31, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #519 of 520
Q4. Anyone who has tried to use headphones from the XLR output ? My headphones would be 13Ohm, but with no stellar sensitivity (92dB/1mW)...

A4: You need an amp. The DAC does not have enough power to drive headphone.
Actually, this is only 'sort of ' correct. XLR output is fixed at 4 volts or variable up to 4 volts. At 130 Ohms, 4 volts should produce 123 mW of power, which would (theoretically) result in 113 dB from your headphones. Probably inadequate due to peak power requirements, but not terrible.

I've been listening to my TT2 most of the time now, but this enquiry gave me the urge to pull my Sonica out of storage and see how it does direct-out. Gonna see if it can drive my Ether 2 -- they're very low impedance (16 Ohms) with the same 92 dB sensitivity as your cans. Don't know if the Sonica can produce the current needed to deliver the power implied by these numbers.

Also, no idea what the output impedance of this DAC's XLR outputs are -- can't find that in any of the spec sheets I've googled.

Jun 3, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #520 of 520
Actually, this is only 'sort of ' correct. XLR output is fixed at 4 volts or variable up to 4 volts. At 130 Ohms, 4 volts should produce 123 mW of power, which would (theoretically) result in 113 dB from your headphones. Probably inadequate due to peak power requirements, but not terrible.

I've been listening to my TT2 most of the time now, but this enquiry gave me the urge to pull my Sonica out of storage and see how it does direct-out. Gonna see if it can drive my Ether 2 -- they're very low impedance (16 Ohms) with the same 92 dB sensitivity as your cans. Don't know if the Sonica can produce the current needed to deliver the power implied by these numbers.

Also, no idea what the output impedance of this DAC's XLR outputs are -- can't find that in any of the spec sheets I've googled.
tl;dr — Nope

Adequate volume from my HEKse — XLR out at full volume.

Ether 2, ZMF Atrium were pretty quiet at full volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back